Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,578 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate our business from Long Island. My grown single daughters would probably move with us also. Since my parents are elderely, I would want easy access back to Long Island (probably by Southwest airlines) on a regular basis. So basically, here is what we are looking to find out:

1) Would need an area that had light industry close to our home with easy commute.
2) Would like to buy a house in a small town with a nice main street
3) Would love an area that had a funky artsy feel
4) Under 1 hour to the airport
5) Access the theatre, restaurants, concerts
6) How long is the swimming season? Would like to be close to water.
7) How severe is the winter?
7) Not looking for a big house or a lot of property
8) Priced about $350,000 for a 3-4 bedroom ranch but would pay up 500,000 for a view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
A house with a view in this area would be one that was either on a river or marsh. That pretty much keeps you away from areas of light industry.

Small town with a main street just doesn't happen any more. Those is this area would be farming community and they would unlikely have a funky, artsy feel.

One hour to the airport, very possible, but would depend on time of day with traffic patterns.

Swimming season? depends on how warm you want the water. Otherwise, you can go all year around. The public beach is at Tybee. Other swimming areas would be public and private pools and private docks.

Severe Winter? what's your definition of "severe?'

For your price range, you can get a nice house, but it won't have a view, water access or be near light industry, or in a small town with a main street.

I think you need to come visit for about a week before you decide this area is the one that would suit.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Try downtown Brunswick, which is 80mi. south of here. I think it will meet your requirements. The Jacksonville, FL airport is about an hour from there with easy access from I-95. Your preferred airline serves that airport, not ours.

Winters are not cold here. You can comfortably swim from April/May till October.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
For the airport, I've been to the city twice within the past year, both times was able to get a flight to LaGuardia for $250 round trip direct which is fantastic...

December and January here are the coldest months and resemble early November- early March weather in Long Island, you will miss brutal cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area