Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,870 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at relocating to Savannah in the summer of 2013. I have visited before and fell madly in love with the city. My daughter will be starting college in Charleston in the fall so I thought I would move a little closer to her. I have a daughter who will be starting 5th grade in fall 2013 as well so an area with a very good school system is paramount to me - although I have heard that the schools in the area are all quite good. I'm a single mom, so any ideas on good after school child care etc would also be great.

Any advise at all would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Did you fall in love with Savannah, or just the Historic District? There is a big difference. There are good and bad areas all over the area, with schools to match.

Do you need an area that would be close to employment? what price range, rent or buy? Apartment or home with yard, etc.?

If you really want to be close to your daughter, maybe you should investigate Charleston. It's a great area!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,870 times
I'm a photographer who does a lot of architectural and historic photography so yes, in part it was the old city, but I travelled around a bit and liked what I saw... I would probably rent to start - $1500 to $1800 price range. Condo or house with at least a little green space would be great.
I work in medical education currently and know there are a lot of colleges etc in and around Savannah so thought that may be a good fit

Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj-to-ga View Post
I'm a photographer who does a lot of architectural and historic photography so yes, in part it was the old city, but I travelled around a bit and liked what I saw... I would probably rent to start - $1500 to $1800 price range. Condo or house with at least a little green space would be great.
I work in medical education currently and know there are a lot of colleges etc in and around Savannah so thought that may be a good fit
You can get something very nice in that price range. What type "medical education" are you talking about? The local colleges have RN and med tech / CNA degree programs but there's no DDS or MD programs. I believe South University has a pharmacy school.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Why don't you just move to Charleston, then? Not that you're not welcome here. It's a bigger, more diverse city with more jobs, better shopping, and probably better schools.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Why don't you just move to Charleston, then? Not that you're not welcome here. It's a bigger, more diverse city with more jobs, better shopping, and probably better schools.
Cancel your Chamber of Commerce membership, Ellie?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Cancel your Chamber of Commerce membership, Ellie?
I didn't sign anything that said we had to encourage people to live here. Besides, isn't Charleston better?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I didn't sign anything that said we had to encourage people to live here. Besides, isn't Charleston better?
That's a matter of opinion. If the OP wanted to live in Charleston I'm sure she'd be asking folks in the Charleston forum about life in that city. But she "fell in love with Savannah" and is asking about moving HERE. It's rather disingenuous of you to completely dismiss an honest inquiry.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj-to-ga View Post
I work in medical education currently and know there are a lot of colleges etc in and around Savannah .....
There are?

Hint: There's more in Charleston, including a bona-fide medical school.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That's a matter of opinion. If the OP wanted to live in Charleston I'm sure she'd be asking folks in the Charleston forum about life in that city. But she "fell in love with Savannah" and is asking about moving HERE. It's rather disingenuous of you to completely dismiss an honest inquiry.
Doesn't matter. I gave my opinion. It was not disingenuous.

If I had been, then I'd say "sign your kid up for the lottery to get in the Montessori school in Ardsley Park and rent a house nearby." She could just as easily do that but then she'd see how the city doesn't live up to its hype, there's very little work for professional photographers, and realize the drive to and from Charleston has to be the longest hundred miles anywhere.

And btw, 912 is right about the med school being in Chas., not here.

Last edited by ellie; 12-14-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: