Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times

Advertisements

If you love the "historical architecture" and you hate to drive, you have just put yourself in a position of never seeing the historic parts of Savannah. The stores that you mention are fairly recent and are far, far away from historic Savannah.

It's often said that Savannah is two cities. Historic Savannah and Everything Else. The area around the shopping areas is not a lovely place to live. You aren't going to be able to walk around as you think you would.

When you come to Savannah for your visit, go to the shopping centers first. That would be Oglethorpe Mall, and the Savannah Mall areas. Neither are in easy areas to drive. Abercorn is probably our busiest route. Then, go out to the West Side and check out Pooler.

Drive around and imagine yourself trying to get from there to a decent place to live. There are apartment complexes and single family homes. Check the neighborhoods. Are you planning to live here the rest of your life? Shopping can't last forever. Do you make friends easily? If you have friends where you are, you might be happier just renewing your lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 6,547 times
First of all, I need to say.....I said I hate to drive; not that I don't or won't drive. I just don't want to have to drive a half hour to get to my favorite stores that I frequent. And no, shopping is not all that I do of course, but will continue to enjoy it. I've already found three groups I will be involved with (one charitible organization, one social, and one creative). No, I don't need to walk everywhere. I own a nice vehicle, and will enjoy all that Savannah has to offer. It just makes sense to situate myself closest to the places I enjoy most. While I'll enjoy the historic district, I don't need to live in an old house, and don't need to walk to all those places often. I'll enjoy going to Tybee Island and exploring other areas.

Anyway, I'm working closely with a private investor now that is guiding me very well. And I've perused the other forums about the 'bad' areas to avoid. And yes, I know that every city has them.

Yes, I do make friends well, and will do well when I get there. I was not asking IF I should move there.....just good areas to look for housing near my favorite stores. I live near US 19, which also has heavy traffic, and it is not an issue with me. I moved to St. Petersburg 15 years ago, without knowing a soul here. It was fun, and I've done very well here. I just want a change, so I'm doing my research as any wise person would.

I see that y'all get sooooo many posts asking about relocating to Savannah, and also see a lot of people trying to talk others out of doing so. I thought Savannah would be a city to be proud of, but am not seeing the locals feeling very proud of their home. That said, you're welcome to come experience Tampa Bay.

A friend and I will be taking a drive up there this next week, so I'll do the rest in person. Thanks to all for your input. Take care.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Nope! We don't always try to talk people into not moving here. We just want the ones that fell in love with the Old Historic District of Savannah, to look at the Savannah where they will probably live. We may be proud of our city, but we also admit that it isn't the Paradise that some think it is. They are the ones that don't like it here and love to complain about it.

Sorry that I read your first post incorrectly. It sounded as if you just planned to do as little driving as possible to get to your favorite shopping areas.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Nope! We don't always try to talk people into not moving here. We just want the ones that fell in love with the Old Historic District of Savannah, to look at the Savannah where they will probably live. We may be proud of our city, but we also admit that it isn't the Paradise that some think it is. They are the ones that don't like it here and love to complain about it.
This.

While I prefer to stem the tide of newcomers, I know that's not realistic. I also know that Savannah is MORE than just what you see in our Historic District. There are some great places to see & live here, but there are also many terrible places. Jobs aren't plentiful & wages are low. Like Florida, you get paid in sunshine. Many, many people move here with an idealistic view about how life here would be, then wake up & realize it's just like any other city; but with terrible Summer heat, high utilities & taxes, bad drivers & "questionable" people.

But as a local, I'm used to it. I was brought up & taught how to navigate the "unique waters" of Savannah. Most people simple aren't as equipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area