Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM

121 posts, read 210,007 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of visiting the city in Nov or Feb when it's not too crowded. However, one of my favorite sights is the blooming oak trees. I visited in April one year and they looked gorgeous, like below. Something tells me if I visit in Nov/Feb, they may have a different look. Is that so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
In February, the Camellias are in bloom. In November, there has not been a freeze, so many plants are still in bloom, like roses or fall plantings of flowers.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
I am not quite sure what you mean by "blooming oak trees." In the spring, like most trees, they are putting on the new growth. In November, they will be still have most of their leaves. In February, they most likely will have dropped all of their leaves. This bare branch look lasts only a couple of weeks and then the new leaves start appearing again.

The flowers that you see in your picture are azaleas. Their bloomin season is short, from about the middle of March to the middle of April.

but to answer your question....Yes, the oak trees will look different.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
November typically has pleasant weather. It can be warm, cool, or in between. There's no way to know what to expect. It would be a good time to visit.

February is usually one of our coldest wettest months. You can have decent weather or it can be rainy and in the low 40's. Nights can get into the 20's occasionally or days in the 60's. You never can tell.

August is another not-busy month. You can be guaranteed it will be as hot as heck and everyone who can will leave. You might get lucky and get caught by a tropical storm.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Those trees in your photo appear to be live oaks, which stay green year-round (thus the name). They drop and replace leaves regardless of season. I've never noticed flowers on them, but like all trees they do make small blooming clusters for pollination in early spring -- Februray for sure! Maybe that's what makes allergies here so bad?

I'm wondering if the "blooms" you saw weren't in fact Spanish moss, mistletoe or resurrection ferns?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Those trees in your photo appear to be live oaks, which stay green year-round (thus the name). They drop and replace leaves regardless of season. I've never noticed flowers on them, but like all trees they do make small blooming clusters for pollination in early spring -- Februray for sure! Maybe that's what makes allergies here so bad?

I'm wondering if the "blooms" you saw weren't in fact Spanish moss, mistletoe or resurrection ferns?
A poster in another forum referred to the weeping willow trees in Savannah. I knew that you couldn't grow one in Savannah to save your life, then realized they meant the Live Oaks draped with Spanish Moss.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A poster in another forum referred to the weeping willow trees in Savannah. I knew that you couldn't grow one in Savannah to save your life, then realized they meant the Live Oaks draped with Spanish Moss.
Yep! How anybody could visit Savannah confuse Spanish moss with weeping willow trees is beyond me. It's on all the tours -- and all the trees!

Yankees ...

Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM

121 posts, read 210,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sorry, English is not my first language. I just looked some pictures of Spanish moss, and it's what I was thinking of! They looked great in April. Would I see them in Nov/Feb?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
Oh yes!! When the moss attches itself to anything....tree, fence post, gate, it's there forever...growing and getting more and more every year. It is a little fresher looking in the spring, but it's usual color is grey.

So, yes, you will see this moss in November.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
Sorry, English is not my first language. I just looked some pictures of Spanish moss, and it's what I was thinking of! They looked great in April. Would I see them in Nov/Feb?
OH YES! You can look all you want, but don't touch. The stuff is full of parasites and a haven for chiggers (tiny biting insects that bore into your skin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: