Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM

50 posts, read 205,019 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There is talk that my husband may be transferred to the Savannah area in 2009 for his company. It'd be a great opportunity but he has never been to the area and I've only visited - 15 years ago when I toured SCAD as a high school kid.

We LOVE the ocean and would prefer to live on the islands versus downtown. Even if it means our commutes were a little bit longer. There seem to be several islands from what I can tell. But I know nothing about any of them. I'd love to be "walked through the islands" if anyone is familar with them!!

What are the advantages to one island versus another? Is one more expensive to live (home prices, property taxes, etc.) than another? Does one island have beautiful beaches? Incredible fishing? Unique shops and restaurants? Funky island homes? Festivals or events? Anything you can tell me would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
A few years ago I lved on Whitemarsh/Wilmington and really enjoyed it.

The area has developed--Walmart and etc.

Family oriented community.

A previous thread>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...on-island.html

Old 03-16-2008, 03:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Tybee Island is the only one that is on the ocean and has a beach. Skidaway, Wilmington, Whitemarsh, Talahi, and a few other smaller ones are surrounded by marsh and rivers. Just about all the waterfront property is privately owned. So if you wanted to go to the beach, you would drive to Tybee.

Skidaway is the most up-scale. Property on the others range for $$$$$$$waterfront to the little old cottages that are passed down for several generations.

In fact you couldn't tell the Islands were islands except that you have to cross bridges to get there. Most are residential areas with business districts just like any large subdivision. Whitemarsh and Wilmington are the largest residential islands. Skidaway is also large, but a good bit of the developed area is devoted to golf courses. Most of the residential area of Skidaway is a gated community.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM

50 posts, read 205,019 times
Thank you for the responses!

We'd been looking primarily at the Wilmington Island area as it seems like there are quite a few houses for sale out there. We wouldn't necessarily need to be on the water as much as we'd like to within a 15 minute drive (approx.) to a beach. That would be good enough for us .

Is Isle of Hope an island? Or a neighborhood/suburb?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post
I'm not sure.

Previous thread>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/savan...e-hope-ga.html

and
Isle of Hope>>>
Isle of Hope : Home

Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybella View Post

There are two types of islands on the coast...sea islands (surrounded by rivers and marsh) and barrier islands (that front the ocean).

Isle of Hope is a sea island. The only accessible barrier island in the Savannah area is Tybee.

Isle of Hope is beautiful IMO; I believe it would be considered suburban Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area