Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times

Advertisements

I still find this report hard to believe, granted it was from 2007-2011. Even still, the Savannah area is one of the fastest growing in the state.

Census report shows more left Savannah area than moved to it | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Don't overlook the fact that more and more people are moving into the nearby counties and into SC. Chatham County is full to the point of being crowded in places.

I wonder how they determine where the Chatham County area starts and stops

Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I still find this report hard to believe, granted it was from 2007-2011. Even still, the Savannah area is one of the fastest growing in the state.

Census report shows more left Savannah area than moved to it | savannahnow.com
Agreed. This story is full of questions and very sloppily reported. The population figure for Chatham County cited in a large front-page graphic in Sunday's paper is almost 10,000 less than the official 2010 Census count, and 20,000 less than the 2012 Census estimate.

The story clearly implies that more people are moving OUT of Chatham County than are moving IN, which is absolutely 100 percent false.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 AM

975 posts, read 1,150,450 times
Sounds pretty much totally wrong to me. Check the Google Public Data information, and you'll see population of Chatham County has done nothing but grow since 1975, and even more steeply in recent years.
Population in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

While the data only tracks through July of 2012 as of today, it would be a startling change for things to have turned around so rapidly since then.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I don't know... I know of a number of firms that opened branches in Savannah in early 2000 that later closed when the recession hit. Employees scattered, many going back to where they came from.

Things are moving forward again. I've seen it in a number of companies I'm associated with.

It's not an ego thing, this population oscillation, just simple statistics. Y'all are too emotionally invested in it.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't know... I know of a number of firms that opened branches in Savannah in early 2000 that later closed when the recession hit. Employees scattered, many going back to where they came from.

Things are moving forward again. I've seen it in a number of companies I'm associated with.

It's not an ego thing, this population oscillation, just simple statistics. Y'all are too emotionally invested in it.
My "ego" thing is simply this: As a journalist, I recognize that this was a very shoddy piece of journalism -- poorly written AND misinterpretation of data. And I'm not alone: Several people I've spoken with say they couldn't make sense of it. In an email conversation with Editor Susan Catron yesterday, she said the reporter needed to address more details and the paper should have had more eyes on the story.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

975 posts, read 1,150,450 times
How is Google's public data anything but pure statistics?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
My "ego" thing is simply this: As a journalist, I recognize that this was a very shoddy piece of journalism -- poorly written AND misinterpretation of data. And I'm not alone: Several people I've spoken with say they couldn't make sense of it. In an email conversation with Editor Susan Catron yesterday, she said the reporter needed to address more details and the paper should have had more eyes on the story.
Newsboy! Welcome back, my friend!

Yes, you're absolutely right about this piece. It's a "piece" of trash. LOL
Ellie, nobody is emotionally involved in this, it's just false information on the writer's part.
Besides, how can Chatham be losing population when Pooler is booming and growing so rapidly?
It is a much more believable story to say the City of Savannah is losing population because that has been the case in the recent past, but not even Savannah is losing anymore, mainly due to growth within the city limits near Pooler.

Shame on SMN for letting this slip between their fingers. They've been slipping a lot.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,932 times
Folks, you need to read the SMN article more carefully: "The data, released earlier this month by the U.S. Census Bureau, were collected over a five-year period by the American Community Survey."

The American Community Survey/ACS "stats" are not -- repeat, NOT -- US Census population stats. The ACS is a small sampling survey that seeks to identify social developments and trends in the US for a given population area; it covers everything from language spoken at home, marital status, health status including HIV, racial and ethnic mobility, etc. I was in an ACS survey here in New York last year that covered everything from my income and monthly rent to knowledge of general health issues. The Savannah Morning News really are boneheads (this is the operative word) for putting an ACS study at the top of any article and identifying it as "Census figures." Worse, it covers the period 2007-2011. The only Census "figures" one need be concerned with are (1) the official US Census every 10 years, and (2) the yearly US Census estimates, which have become pretty predictive so far of Savannah's actual population growth. Note that the actual 2010 Census showed that US Census had actually underestimated Savannah, Chatham, and Savannah metro in its recent estimates.

Bottom line: Savannah city (pop. 142,000 in the 2012 estimate), Chatham (276,000 in the 2012 est.), and Savannah metro (361,000 in 2012) are all among the fastest-growing areas in the state since 2010. Columbus is the only 2nd-tier city doing better since the 2010 Census, and it's doing only marginally better than Savannah.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Folks, you need to read the SMN article more carefully: "The data, released earlier this month by the U.S. Census Bureau, were collected over a five-year period by the American Community Survey."

The American Community Survey/ACS "stats" are not -- repeat, NOT -- US Census population stats. The ACS is a small sampling survey that seeks to identify social developments and trends in the US for a given population area; it covers everything from language spoken at home, marital status, health status including HIV, racial and ethnic mobility, etc. I was in an ACS survey here in New York last year that covered everything from my income and monthly rent to knowledge of general health issues. The Savannah Morning News really are boneheads (this is the operative word) for putting an ACS study at the top of any article and identifying it as "Census figures." Worse, it covers the period 2007-2011. The only Census "figures" one need be concerned with are (1) the official US Census every 10 years, and (2) the yearly US Census estimates, which have become pretty predictive so far of Savannah's actual population growth. Note that the actual 2010 Census showed that US Census had actually underestimated Savannah, Chatham, and Savannah metro in its recent estimates.

Bottom line: Savannah city (pop. 142,000 in the 2012 estimate), Chatham (276,000 in the 2012 est.), and Savannah metro (361,000 in 2012) are all among the fastest-growing areas in the state since 2010. Columbus is the only 2nd-tier city doing better since the 2010 Census, and it's doing only marginally better than Savannah.
Well, that was the point and the reason for all the outrage. The SMN took "estimates" provided by a "public sampling" with a significant margin of error to create a sensationalized front-page story that simply isn't true. Worse, despite being told by various sources that their interpretation of the data was in error (including a scathing critique by the Director of Data for the Center of Public Integrity in Washington DC) the newspaper has yet to even acknowledge their mistake, much less correct or retract it.

The Savannah Morning News has sunk to new depths of unprofessionalism and just plan lousy journalism. It's a true shame that a city as dynamic and wonderful as Savannah has such a sorry excuse for a newspaper. And this comes from someone who once worked there and was proud of the quality product we at one time delivered to Savannah readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area