Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 AM

643 posts, read 846,142 times

Advertisements

Coastal Empire Fairgrounds for sale | BusinessInSavannah.com

Just curious because I'm not good with land calculations.

Nearly 70 acres is up for sale, would this have been a better location for the new arena?

I drove by where the arena is purportedly going to be, but I didn't see where they're going to put it. They have all those new apartment complexes and housing over there on West Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Glad this huge chunk of land is up for sale. It would be great for mixed use if done correctly.

Do I think it would be a good location for an arena? Probably not. The infrastructure surrounding the property couldn't support it unless upgrades were done. At least with the property where the arena is proposed, it's a lot closer to I-16.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
The new arena is going to go at I-16 and Gwinnett Street behind Chatham Steel, where traffic coming off the Talmadge Bridge merges onto the interstate.

As for the fairgrounds, they are in a crappy neighborhood anyway. The shootings last year only hastened the Exchange Club's decision to divest themselves of the property.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
As for the fairgrounds, they are in a crappy neighborhood anyway. The shootings last year only hastened the Exchange Club's decision to divest themselves of the property.
That's precisely why the exchange club put it up for sale. At least according to the article. Why is crime so bad out that way? Well, not a lot of attention is given to that area with some small SCAD exceptions.

This is another reason why development of this large property should help gentrify that area and make it more desirable.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That's precisely why the exchange club put it up for sale. At least according to the article. Why is crime so bad out that way? Well, not a lot of attention is given to that area with some small SCAD exceptions.

This is another reason why development of this large property should help gentrify that area and make it more desirable.
You know the answer perhaps to your query. Projects.

I am realistic. Better to house the criminals in one spot to make policing more efficient than to give them housing vouchers and spread everywhere to terrorize the rest of us everywhere. Yes it sucks for that area where a project is but at least it's only one area.

In a better solution that will never be accepted I'd offer all people living in projects a free one-way ticket to Africa or Russia or somewhere far away. Or maybe California lol. But seriously. And why not? Take it or leave it. Maybe we'd get takers. Heck pay them off. And if they can make it back here... ok. Or perhaps get in line for immigration, I don't know. Too bad that'll never happen. I have been very poor and lived in rough city areas and I just don't get why people have to resort to violence and other crimes. In fact cities wouldn't be nearly so bad if crime was not an issue. That is the main reason I live out in the country in Chatham now, otherwise I would live downtown somewhere perhaps. there are enough trees for me to be happy there. I am a big liberal on many things but not crime and 'rehabilitation'. Deport them. No second chances. Hasn't ever worked. Deporting does, heck Australia did great right?

Gentrify? Only if the projects take a hike. We need to move them way away from downtown. Hopefully Ben Carter won't be shot on Broughton. Let's put all projects in one spot if we must have them. Maybe Garden City or Port Wentworth. Heck, put them way up in the north corner of Port Wentworth, it's still close to the interstate.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
One really crazy dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area