Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I can't help but wonder what's so special about Columbus, Indiana.
I think that was an abbreviation for Indianapolis.
I had to laugh at Lancaster, PA. Amish is the new cool, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No, it's the town of Columbus, Indiana.

Quote:
Columbus, Indiana

“The unlikely city of Columbus has become a hot spot for architecture buffs,” says Biggs Bradley. The town’s design mastership is credited to an engine industry mogul who sponsored several notable projects in the 1950s with the aim of revitalizing the city. Today Columbus is home to some 80 modernist buildings designed by some of the 20th century’s best-known architects, including I.M. Pei and Richard Meier. This year is first Exhibit Columbus show, which will celebrate modern architecture with a citywide festival and outdoor installations. “This expo is sure to put the small but mighty Midwestern city on the map. Visit now, before the crowds descend.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabel.../#425869a1663b

Old 03-02-2018, 12:34 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I had to laugh at Lancaster, PA. Amish is the new cool, I guess.

Further to Mutiny's citation: no, this refers to downtown Lancaster. Not many Amish live in Lancaster-proper (they live well outside town), although you will experience "Amish sightings" due to all the in-town Amish food and craft shops. Actually, conservative old Lancaster is cool, with a more Asheville-like aura these days.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Wow, very interesting.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Further to Mutiny's citation: no, this refers to downtown Lancaster. Not many Amish live in Lancaster-proper (they live well outside town), although you will experience "Amish sightings" due to all the in-town Amish food and craft shops. Actually, conservative old Lancaster is cool, with a more Asheville-like aura these days.
Also interesting. My memories of Lancaster are limited to summers at my grandparents' farm in Chadds Ford.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:31 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Wow, I had no idea. Columbus (IN) will be on my list of places to check out now.. and though I've been past (and over via flight) Lancaster many times, I have yet to check out their downtown. It will surely be on my list of places to check out as well. Good stuff!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,144 times
Columbus, In. has a wonderful hospital, in case one of those pointy art things falls on your head or impales you.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
Town and Country Magazine ranked ten locations around the world that are the best places to visit in the month of April with Savannah making the list. Other entries included: Marrakech, Morocco; Kyoto, Japan; Porto, Portugal; Merida, Mexico; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Botswana; Newport Beach, Calif.; Crete, Greece; and Raleigh, N.C.

According to the magazine, “with temperate weather but thinner crowds and lower prices, March and April are low season” in Savannah. They added that the must-do items included a horse-drawn carriage ride, shopping on Broughton Street, a day at the Telfair Museum and food at either The Olde Pink House, Bubba Gumbo’s or Leopold’s. The magazine also flagged the Cotton Sail Hotel and The Mansion on Forsyth Park as two of the best places to stay in the city.
Savannah named one of the best places in the world to visit in April - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times
Raleigh?!

And March and April are NOT the “low” season .... at all! They are among the busiest tourist months of the year, because of so many special events and the fact EVERYTHING IS IN BLOOM!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Raleigh?!

And March and April are NOT the “low” season .... at all! They are among the busiest tourist months of the year, because of so many special events and the fact EVERYTHING IS IN BLOOM!
Agree. They certainly got that wrong. By a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area