Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 AM

9 posts, read 96,854 times

Advertisements

I've heard some really bad things like the water is a disgusting muddy and brown color and the sand is covered with mud. Is this true? I certainly hope that Tybee and other beaches in the area are nicer than that since they are so close to Florida. How would you describe the beaches of GA?
Is the sand and water nice? Is the ocean water actually brown and muddy? How bout Cumberland Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Georgia beaches rank very high.Tybee is very clean and Cumberland is pristine.Absolutely beautiful

Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Yes, the water is somewhat cloudy. The sand is not muddy, it's off-white. If you're used to clear water it would take some getting used to.

edit:

I just read your other posts and am laughing at what seems to be a peculiar obsession of yours. You've been posting in all sorts of locations worried, primarily about the color of the water. To each his own. LOL
Cumberland's water is also muddy, muddier than Tybee. Praise be that it will be protected from one extra visitor by that minor attribute.

Last edited by ellie; 04-12-2009 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 AM

737 posts, read 2,458,768 times
The water is digustingly dirty.
The sand itself is more like mud.
The beaches are terrible.
Don't bother showing up.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Al View Post
The water is digustingly dirty.
The sand itself is more like mud.
The beaches are terrible.
Don't bother showing up.
Can't help but love you Al.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Can't help but love you Al.
I found my little corner...
And I don't want anybody else showing up.

And every group needs a "Bad Guy", doncha think?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
The water has brown/green algae in it. This keeps it from being clear. Some Florida areas have red algae, which is dangerous. Ours just makes it great for fishing.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Yes, the water is somewhat cloudy. The sand is not muddy, it's off-white. If you're used to clear water it would take some getting used to.

edit:

I just read your other posts and am laughing at what seems to be a peculiar obsession of yours. You've been posting in all sorts of locations worried, primarily about the color of the water. To each his own. LOL
Cumberland's water is also muddy, muddier than Tybee. Praise be that it will be protected from one extra visitor by that minor attribute.
In my own way I've always wondered why the Georgia Coast's water wasn't as nice as Florida's. I used to always ask where the water changed from the murky brown to the clearer greenish-blue color. I think I figured it out a few years ago..at least on the Atlantic side of FL. It depends on the conditions too, but the nice water can make it as far up as Melbourne (though not the clearness of South Beach) and on rougher days, merely as far as Fort Lauderdale. Although there was this one time in St. Augustine where the shallow water next to the Castillo de San Marcos fort (the Indian River waters) was clear.
Really though, as I've always said, the further south you go from Georgia, the nicer the beaches. At least in that aspect.

Secretly, I've always wondered what Tybee would be like if the water was clear and if it were possible to somehow change the color. Oh well, one can dream..

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

80 posts, read 370,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
In my own way I've always wondered why the Georgia Coast's water wasn't as nice as Florida's. I used to always ask where the water changed from the murky brown to the clearer greenish-blue color. I think I figured it out a few years ago..at least on the Atlantic side of FL. It depends on the conditions too, but the nice water can make it as far up as Melbourne (though not the clearness of South Beach) and on rougher days, merely as far as Fort Lauderdale. Although there was this one time in St. Augustine where the shallow water next to the Castillo de San Marcos fort (the Indian River waters) was clear.
Really though, as I've always said, the further south you go from Georgia, the nicer the beaches. At least in that aspect.

Secretly, I've always wondered what Tybee would be like if the water was clear and if it were possible to somehow change the color. Oh well, one can dream..
Try New Jersey beaches. I don't go in the water. The number of dirty diapers has completely turned me off anymore.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicchick581 View Post
Try New Jersey beaches. I don't go in the water. The number of dirty diapers has completely turned me off anymore.
Sounds like Jones Beach out on Lawn Giland?
Usta fish there all the time...
For dinner!
For my family!
Now all they got is Coney Island Whitefish...
And Hudson River brown trout.
The Times They Are A-Changin' | Bob Dylan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area