Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 05:45 AM

126 posts, read 121,156 times

Advertisements

This one is directed to all you long time Savannahians, re moving to Savannah.
My grandparents lived in Ardsley Park, my dad graduated from Savannah High, my happiest childhood memories are reading on my grandparents' porch glider in a rain storm, playing in Daffin Park, and driving to Tybee with my granddad. This was circa 1960, however. I loved their 1920's bungalow--still my ideal for most beautiful house of all time. I am looking for a retirement house--we are currently in Michigan after living in Beaufort for 7 years, and my husband demanded we go back up north, hates the summers, can't deal with the bugs (2 ER visits for bug bites, for goodness sake.) We have been up here 5 months and I hate it. Well, that's a little strong, but I will not live here another endless bleak freezing snowbound winter.

Have been looking real estate in SC again, but still keep dreaming of Savannah. Beaufort is too small, and I miss that feeling of being connected to somewhere, and I realize most my most connected feelings are to Savannah. When we lived in SC, my husband did a lot of subbing (music) in Savannah so we went to churches downtown, Skidaway, and Isle of Hope. We did not move to Savannah then because my mom sent us the story of the debutante getting shot in the square and I also thought that it might be a little too "Georgia" for my Yankee husband, and SC is full of imports. All my family is from Georgia (Savannah and St Simons) so I thought a fresh start in SC, and it was nice.

Fast forward to now, when I am thinking about buying a place to live in 7 months of year and maybe rent out a few months if we kept this place? Where would you long time Savannahians recommend for someone who is pushing 60, would like a walkable neighborhood, isn't crazy about driving, and would like access to SC for work (still have a job there.) Would you go back to Hardeeville, or would you move to Savannah? I have a cousin on Wilmington Island--would this be a good location? When we subbed on Isle of Hope, it was about an hour 3/4 to Beaufort, although it was gorgeous. My cousin's mother-in-law had a place on Coffee Bluff and a place downtown. My problem with the islands is that I am sick of the car and wish I could just walk somewhere or take my bike--in Beaufort, I would go a week without driving, just bike everywhere, and it was great.

I go online and look at property, and I see neighborhoods I sort of remember--my dad's friend lived in Windsor Forest, for example, but mostly we just hang around Ardsley Park and that is what I miss. But Isle of Hope was very pretty, too. I honestly wish I could afford Tybee, but they don't allow dogs on the beach, which husband is irritated by. On the other hand, we're getting older, so urban pioneering is probably not a great idea. We are real fixer upper types and always buy foreclosures, but my husband just got badly injured doing tree trimming work, so maybe those days are over.

Any ideas as to where to look? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Just get a place in Ardsley Park, then. Or Parkside.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
What's that neighborhood around Habersham Village called? Sounds like it would be ideal for you. Lots of cute bungalows in the 50 and 60 streets between Abercorn and Waters.

Also Baldwin Park, Thomas Square, Daffin Park, Gordonston ...

Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,978,132 times
The real question is.. What is your budget?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,710,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The real question is.. What is your budget?
Now you did it! Took a pin and put it next to that red balloon

Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
You aren't going to be able to duplicate that feeling that you remember. Things have changed.

At your age, you can still do a lot of walking. Will you still feel like that 10-20 years from now? Do you plan to stay in Savannah that long?

As far as renting your house out for a few months, I think that would work only at Tybee. Be sure to get one that has air conditioning.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You aren't going to be able to duplicate that feeling that you remember. Things have changed.

At your age, you can still do a lot of walking. Will you still feel like that 10-20 years from now? Do you plan to stay in Savannah that long?

As far as renting your house out for a few months, I think that would work only at Tybee. Be sure to get one that has air conditioning.
Lots of people do short-term rentals all over Savannah, but mostly downtown.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,978,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Lots of people do short-term rentals all over Savannah, but mostly downtown.
...and Tybee.

Last edited by WanderingImport; 05-20-2014 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Side note: This is post #1000 for me in the Savannah room!

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM

126 posts, read 121,156 times
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I don't know what I will feel like 10-20 years from now. I am looking for a place to end up, so yes, it would need to be workable 10-20 years from now. I guess from what I have seen, I don't have the money for Ardsley Park anymore. Guess I was looking for suggestions that were similar but more affordable. I wish I did have endless funds, believe me. Thanks, Newsboy, I appreciate the positivity and the specifics. Ellie, thank you for the Parkside suggestion, and I have located the helpful maps now.

I guess I was just looking for something I could cope with, and trying to get out of this climate for next winter. It sounds as though Savannah has changed, indeed.

Last edited by elkelives; 05-21-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area