Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times

Advertisements

I wonder will the city pony up the money for a new stadium now. It would be nice for Savannah to have a new arena and baseball stadium.
Consultants Believe Downtown Stadium is a "Home Run" - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 06:19 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Who paid the consultants? Who asked the citizens?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times
They want to build at Savannah River Landing?

Instead of this beautiful plan to extend Savannah's grid system that we saw in this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...-proposed.html Is this the site they are talking about building the Sand Gnats a stadium?

Now that was development that embraces Savannah and takes it into the 21st century.

Instead, a baseball stadium no one will go to, instead of this really nice plan WTF?!! So instead of spending money resurrecting the police department, cleaning up the streets scumbags, and improving infrastructure etc, we get arenas and stadiums. I'm sure it's not because Clowncil is getting paid off or anything.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Here you go: Bill Dawers finds a number of glaring omissions in the study.

Savannah Unplugged | Savannah stadium study leaves key questions unanswered

Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Well, you gotta admit that a fancy new stadium right on the banks of the Savannah River, and adjacent to the river walk (easily accessible to River Street patrons) would be a huge boon for the city. It would look beautiful and truly change the look of that area of town.

I don't have a lot of faith in the future of that parcel of land. The original developers have shown no interest in reviving the proposal, which -- impressive as it was -- was probably way too ambitious from the get-go. If dedicating part of the property for a stadium jump-starts other development over there, then I'm all for it.

It's worth noting that the "dream plan" for the West Boundary Street Canalside District (where the new arena is going) also included a baseball stadium. At least, the "drawings" showed a baseball stadium over there. I personally think the East President Street / Savannah River Landing site would be a better location for BOTH of them. But that ship has already sailed, since the City Council has pledged to build the new arena west of downtown to try and revive that gawd awful neighborhood.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 AM

News are you alluding to the idea that we could combine an arena and stadium? As many here have proposed. That'd make a lot of sense and save a ton of money. And instead of two large arena facilities and two large parking lots that are both unused most of the time, there could be one of each. Would save on construction cost with economies of scale and also perhaps we could do the trifecta and build a cruise ship terminal there after all, as well. Hopefully collect even more private monies on that. Well, it makes too much sense to happen.

Sigh. I loved the Oglethorpe Landing / Savannah River Landing plan. That was a good investment by the city. And we did invest quite a bit on installing the utilities out there. That'd be the hottest new spot to stay for hotels and for new night life, if they built it like in the plans and drawings you posted.

Also the company that did the stadium report builds stadiums. Hm.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 10-01-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 11:43 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Who paid the consultants? Who asked the citizens?
Exactly.

I wish they would just stick with the Canal District plan.

SRL should stick with what it was originally proposed to do.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times
Looks like council still isn't sold on a new stadium
Savannah City Council not sold on stadium | savannahnow.com

Old 10-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Airforce, good.

100% I agree Wandering. Sav River Landing was a beautiful idea. Drawings looked perfect.

Now this Arena/Canal District, the parks along the canal and little ferries up and down it actually look neat. On the face of it, it makes sense there too. Perhaps it really will revitalize the area. Hopefully they'll convert the housing projects to parking garages and relocate the housing. But the arena site has some issues. Mainly, it's literally in a ditch that floods. I imagine the project will balloon far over budget due to this and other things. Which is why I am still opposed the arena. We should put more thought as well into projects and how they tie together, instead of hodge podge build a Arena here, Stadium there, remove ramps here, but have no idea where traffic will go, etc. For example building separate Baseball stadium and a separate Arena is crazy. If building them both, combine them into one stadium. We could probably build two Savannah River Landings for the $300 million the Arena will cost. Money would be better spent on the police and public safety, then transit, beautification, and infrastructure upgrades.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
The only thing I would like to see with it would be a 15k seat open ampitheater so we could get top of the line music acts in. This would be a huge boost to the tourism as it would draw a lot of people in for concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area