Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times

Advertisements

I love Savannah's post-WWII / 1950s neighborhoods. Cool architecture and some of the best homes in the city for the money!

The Savannah most outsiders and tourists know is a full two centuries older than Kensington Park. But the neighborhood's nearly 400 homes still pack a certain time-warp factor, having changed little in the decades since young professionals began seeking out places to raise families away from the core city. "June Cleaver lived here. That's pretty much it," said Pam Miller, president of the Kensington Park Community Association ...

1950s suburb is Savannah's new historic treasure | www.actionnewsjax.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 06:47 AM

11,401 posts, read 24,491,532 times
And a great location if you really want to consider yourself a true Savannahian. It is central and convenient to so much!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,988,012 times
Kensington Park is obviously a great neighborhood, but I think whoever is granting these places "historic" is starting to get a bit trigger happy.. if you know what I mean.

Next thing you know, Oglethorpe Mall will be considered historic.

I swear... the things people do to keep change out.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,720,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Kensington Park is obviously a great neighborhood, but I think whoever is granting these places "historic" is starting to get a bit trigger happy
I gave this some thought yesterday and looked at some on the listing for sale on-line. At 200-250 you are still buying a over sized ranch house in a neighborhood whose perimeter is surrounded by malls. I think this is a tough sell for one trying to sell their house and the "historic" would be a stretch in the buyer's mind.

Disclaimer: Only my opinion and God knows I have been on the wrong side many times in the past.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I gave this some thought yesterday and looked at some on the listing for sale on-line. At 200-250 you are still buying a over sized ranch house in a neighborhood whose perimeter is surrounded by malls. I think this is a tough sell for one trying to sell their house and the "historic" would be a stretch in the buyer's mind.

Disclaimer: Only my opinion and God knows I have been on the wrong side many times in the past.
Though location doesn't really have anything to do with if a place is historic or not (someone correct me if I happen to be wrong), you do have a good point. Heck, Wilmington Park could try to be historic in a few years and they'd probably get it. All that development is is a bunch of ranch style homes built mainly in the '60s and '70s.

Wilmington Park is a beautiful development (I lived there for most of my time in Savannah) but it is NOT historic and shouldn't ever be! There are WAY TOO MANY ranch style homes in Savannah for ranch style home preservation. This same argument applies to Kensington Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: