Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 27,160 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Savannah in the next month or so. We're in our mid 20's looking for a home in the $225k to $275k range and Ardsley Park has become our focus recently. Walking through the general area, it seems fairly quiet and safe, and the homes are beautiful. The older threads I have read seem to have a generally positive opinion of Ardsley Park.

What opinion do you locals hold of Ardsley Park? Would you feel safe living there? Does the crime in the area seem to be getting better or worse?

The alternatives seem to be Wilmington Island, Pooler, Rincon and Richmond Hill. Obviously the islands seem safe and quiet, but the 70's ranches just aren't doing it for me. The other areas seem like a risky investment to me (should I have to sell in a couple years), although there are some very good deals to be had from desperate sellers. I'll be working near downtown, so the commute from Richmond hill seems a little long.

I appreciate any insight you all can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Ardsley Park, and it's nearby neighbor, Parkside, is a mix of really good and not-so-good. Some areas are just too convenient to the hoodlum element. Others, are great. The houses are old and most are pre WWII. Therefore, while they are well constructed, unless they have been remodled, the closets will be small. If a house has central heat and air conditioning, it was most likely added later. Some still have window units and floor furnaces. This sort of addition doesn't always work well. Be very careful. Ask about whether the house has been rewired.

I know what you mean about the charm of the older houses such as in Ardsley Park as compared to the ranch style out on the Islands. You might want to take a look at the Isle of Hope area. I wouldn't want to live in either Richmond Hill or Pooler if my job was in town. I would hate that commute from RH. Pooler might work all right depending on where the job was and what route I had to take. Could be OK if it were possible to just zip in on I-16.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
I would feel safe living in Ardsley Park. We have many friends there. My Children go to Savannah Arts there
RH and Rincon are the hardest hit by the realestate crunch
High taxes, poor planning, and long commute. Several friends would move back to Chatham if or when they can sell

Old 01-05-2008, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 27,160 times
Thank you both for your replies. They are very helpful.

We are going to try to take a closer look at Pooler and Isle of Hope over the next couple weeks. I'll be working in the industrial area west of downtown near the river, so I think the commute from Pooler should be reasonable. I'd appreciate any more suggestions anyone would care to offer.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM

17 posts, read 92,662 times
I agree don't live in Richmond Hill b/c of the drive. It is not worth a big house and a 40min drive to downtown 1hr drive to the beach.

Once you visit Pooler you will come to your own conclusion. Let me prepare you...Pooler and Isle of Hope are as different as GA Bulldogs and Tech Yellow Jackets. If you and your wife visit Isle of Hope first you will kick yourself for driving to Pooler. Ardsley Park is pretty good and beautiful itself in parts. Wilmington Island is a great place too. There are many different parts to it. Keep it on your list to visit!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Also look at Rice Hope on Ga 21 just north of I-95

Schools set events for speciality programs | SavannahNow.com
Rice Hope to expand by 300 acres | SavannahNow.com (http://savannahnow.com/node/424854 - broken link)
Schools seek path for growth | SavannahNow.com
Letters to the editor | SavannahNow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area