Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:45 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,202,924 times

Advertisements

I'm sure SCAD students will like this...
Quote:
Judge Commercial Realty has announced the sale of a plot of land to the development company, "Campus Works."

The company has already started working on a five-story student housing building on the lot off of Selma Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Completion of the building is scheduled for fall of 2016
Student housing building under construction - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,133,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Savannah's gentrifying the same way Charleston did decades ago. The city will be transformed. Hope I'm still around to see it all.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,290,167 times
I like how the building looks. This is good infill. It will be a neat area potentially when the offramp becomes a park.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,636,497 times
Now if they could close down the 2 projects on either side of downtown and build housing on them, that would be a big help.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Now if they could close down the 2 projects on either side of downtown and build housing on them, that would be a big help.
Hehe. Remember those threads? The people there need a place to live and forcing them to disperse them across the city would make it rougher for them, you and me. I support public housing. But to make it safe, and also cost efficient, they should be combined into one area. With a police substation on the first floor. Simple. And a separate place for seniors only, downtown, with strict protection against the drug dealers slipping in. In both.
The new project should be farther west because they are going to build the Arena and junk in this new Canal District right near SCAD.

Also beware of unintended consequences. If you privatize public housing, landlords will take the cash, pocket it, and not do maintenance upkeep on their buildings. It will turn into slums far worse than Yamacraw etc. Same goes for vouchers. So, I think, centralize it all, put a police station inside the new project, and put it farther from the tourist district. But close still to good jobs, so for example in Garden City by the port. This would dovetail with new CAT transit routes even. Of course, none of this will ever happen.

But what IS good is SCAD etc are gentrifying the city, particularly this area. Such as with this building. I think that's a good thing. In fact I am surprised SCAD hasn't pressed the city more on getting going with its plans for redevelopment west of MLK and getting that whole area cleared up, even perhaps bringing up the public housing relocation. SCAD is great for the city, this area will (probably) be hotter real estate in 10 years. Maybe others that have more experience in this field like pink caddy have some ideas for this area?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:28 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,744,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Maybe others that have more experience in this field like pink caddy have some ideas for this area?

Yep, I can tell you how to walk away with a million dollars in just 5 years.

Invest 2 million dollars now and in 5 years you will walk away with a million. Easy right?
Next question for Pink Genie Caddy. lol

Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Pink Genie Caddy. I love it! But really I think this will be a high risk but high yield area. If it pans out it will be rewarding. I don't have the mad money for it. I bet some connected people in the town will make out like bandits though. It will be good for us all though to revitalize the west side.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM

4,119 posts, read 6,636,497 times
For as little as $300 to $400 million investment the city could expand the downtown historic district and retail areas.

1.) To do this they need land and Yamacraw Village, Simon Fraser, Herbert Kayton Homes, and the Fred Wessels Homes all offer this. One of the many negatives of public housing is the city earns no tax revenue from them, they are more expensive to operate, and they concentrate crime in their areas. Issue vouchers to the residents move them out to market rate units and redevelop the land these areas sit on.

2.) Outdoor amphitheater to draw national concerts and events. Would be a huge boost to tourism having people come in for concerts would only be a huge positive.

3.) Tram system servicing downtown and the historic district in a circular loop. Make it free of charge and it would eliminate alot of traffic downtown.

4.) Expansion of the CBD and historic district east to all the vacant land and to replace the Fraser homes.

5.) Keep the develop of housing dense as in 3 and 4 floor structures with townhomes and off streets. Retail on first floor, mixed office and loft type apartments higher up. Require a certain % to be for low income and accept vouchers.

6.) Up the sales tax 1 or 2% and use all of the money to cut property taxes in the county. This would lower the cost of home ownership. I forget the exact numbers but a substantial percentage of our sales tax is from tourists so this is a huge net for all of us.

7.) Metro fiber to the house build out with 1 gig speeds. Do this immediately, as soon as it's done we will see a positive growth from this alone. It would immediately bring a couple of thousand jobs to our area. Comcast and it's caps are killing us, they only have the caps in non competitive areas.

Do not build a baseball stadium on the riverfront it will be a white elephant. Do not build a huge convention center arena, it will be a white elephant.

Last edited by bellhead; 05-23-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 AM

202 posts, read 232,407 times
I would truly, really, no gettin' around it, hate it if a stadium and/or arena would be built on the riverfront.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,854 times
It would be nice if the city council used a little more common sense, and stopped rushing every chance they get to do something. A little more time thinking would be nice.

This is wonderful city, and I am happy that we can share it with the world.

But our city must start to do more work on it's infrastructure building and upkeep.

Additionally, reasonable development in the MLK/Montgomery corridor should look at expanding what makes this city unique; art, design, history and beauty. Perhaps the concept of an arts/design district as projected by SDRA is the right one and brilliant in concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area