Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:57 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,289,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
A lot of us dispise the development model that Pooler follows. Levittown, which I got a snarky laugh out of, is highly relevant.

This is our city. It's my birthplace. I'm a Savannahian. But I don't even live there any more because it got too polished, too corporate, too sprawling, too much like a fantasyland for tourist amusement; so I up and left.

You don't see me advertising my new town, though it favors Savannah's squares thirty years ago. I like historic settings and interesting communities with all of their warts, bumps, oddballs, and dreams. Adding more people to the mix should be done carefully and with great calculation. Too many and you kill the golden goose. Too few -- then nobody's home
Aww no ellie.. you are no longer here? I understand, though, what you mean. Your last paragraph is wisdom.

Ya'll we're on all on Team Savannah!! We do have different ideas and takes on current issues of course but we're all Savannah peeps. I value all of you all on here. Because we care. I love discussing things with passionate people about our city. It's just great we're engaged. It feels like we have one of the most active and interesting boards here on C-D. I see many of you all out and about on other boards even which is great.

Now the thing is, as you all make a point, we need to a vital population and economy here, but a good balance. More diverse economy would be good, and while massively increasing the tourists numbers are not needed, I do like that we are tourist city. It makes for good entertainment and eating if nothing else! Though now that I think about it, we are pretty diverse.. military, art, port, tourism, industry (gulfstream, jcb, etc), higher ed. Actually I'd guess we're at least as diverse as most cities, maybe more so, right? Perhaps we could increase more on the knowledge economy and tech jobs.

My take on it is that Pooler is all right as is. It's a suburb, our county's modern 'burb area, of course. Our Levittown if you will. Now, if it took over the entire county, that would definitely have Savannah lose some of its magic. Part of Savannah's mystique as the Mayor calls it, are all the funky characters and characteristics of the town, and our landscape, with the old trees and buildings. The landscape just inspires and draws people of the arts. And the country areas outside it, like Sandfly, Isle of Hope, Pin Point, west county, are so nice to live in (I know..). If they all become Dollar General parking lots that will be unfortunate imo. Yes, I'm directly calling out sprawl. I will be happy to say for the record I think it would be unfortunate to see Pooler-type sprawl throughout the county. Also Pooler's taxes will go up as they become more developed. I'll be glad to bet the farm on it.

News, 20 years, I'm impressed. Stay a while more! I enjoy all of your posts and photos. Perhaps I'll post some updates on Broughton soon, too. Oh News you know I can go on tangents. You called, and I came! I'm a booster of Savannah. The only negative things I've noticed are crime, sprawl, and let's just say our special politicians. These are common city issues. On the whole I love living here. The more I meet the old timers here, the more intrigued I am. One thing I would suggest people of Pooler to do, is to get out, and get to know people that live downtown or in the Islands and outer areas. This city is like no other I've been in, in that it seems everyone is somehow connected here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area