Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

More retail development is coming to E. Victory....
Quote:
Owners of longtime Savannah restaurant Johnny Harris have entered into an agreement with a regional developer to explore opportunities for development on the property surrounding the restaurant at 1651 East Victory Dr., according to a press release.

The area just east of the restaurant has undergone extensive development in the past couple of years with the opening of Whole Foods, PetSmart and a number of other smaller chain stores.

“It is still very early in the process,” said Norman Heidt, president of Johnny Harris Restaurant, in the release. “We are continuing to operate business as usual, with great employees serving our customers and the community.”

The land in consideration includes areas behind the restaurant, along Wicklow Avenue, several lots along Dixie Avenue and stable properties behind the restaurant. The land was surveyed over the summer but is still owned by Johnny Harris Restaurant, Heidt said. The name of the developer was not released, and Heidt could not be reached for additional comment.

The signed agreement provides the developer the right to study comprehensive land use for all of the property and ultimately purchase it. The agreement period will last into the third quarter of 2016 when the developer will solicit an unspecified number of retailers for the location.

Once the agreement period ends the restaurant could continue on its current site without any changes, rebuild or relocate to a new location.
Developer eyes Johnny Harris land | BiS | Business in Savannah News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Relocation? That would be a huge mistake. Johnny Harris is the oldest restaurant in Savannah and that building / location holds a lot of history. They would lose a lot of respect and customers moving for $$ sake (because quite frank frankly, the food isn't that good).

Old 10-14-2015, 08:03 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
Well the rezoning has been approved for the land around Johnny Harris. For me personally, the most interesting aspect of this project is that the developer is seeking a grocer that isn't in the market already. Trader Joe's perhaps or Dean and DeLuca...
Quote:
Attorney Robert McCorkle, who spoke on behalf of the developer, Atlanta-based ARS Ventures LLC, said that once the proposed work is completed it could bring 120,000 square feet of retail space to the area and cost more than $20 million.

“It’s an exciting project, and it’s been a little while coming,” McCorkle said, adding that area residents have been supportive of the proposed development.

“… We believe the development along Victory Drive, particularly on our side of Victory Drive is going to continue to expand out, especially with the economy now back in full force…”

And while there is no site plan or confirmed retailers, McCorkle said the developers are exploring the concept of adding a smaller grocery store that currently isn’t in Savannah along with two other smaller retailers who also would be new to the city.
Proposed Johnny Harris site development clears rezoning hurdle | BiS | Business in Savannah News

Old 10-15-2015, 01:01 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
I hope it'll be Trader Joe's! Makes perfect sense, next to Whole foods. Between that, Luckys' and Smith Brothers, as well as Whole Foods and Publix, it's entirely possible to eat well and go broke here now.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 AM

202 posts, read 231,269 times
...and Behold, there was instant gridlock.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:43 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Costco is the last hold out.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I hope it'll be Trader Joe's! Makes perfect sense, next to Whole foods. Between that, Luckys' and Smith Brothers, as well as Whole Foods and Publix, it's entirely possible to eat well and go broke here now.
Trader Joe's a block from Whole Foods? In one of the most congested areas of Savannah? Girl what you smoking!

They'd be wiser to locate somewhere further south on Truman -- maybe Eisenhower or Montgomery?

And if Savannah gets a Costco it's going to Pooler.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:10 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Agree on the Costco. I think it's inevitable we'll get one, and it'll be Pooler. So, McDonald's often co-locates with Burger King, for example. I think it would make sense, similar customer base, to Joe's. You know? Just my thoughts. I'd shop both and like if they were close.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 PM

474 posts, read 587,976 times
My money is on Aldi, since Savannah is the last major city in Georgia to not have one.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
My money is on Aldi, since Savannah is the last major city in Georgia to not have one.
Aldi owns Trader Joe's ... or Trader Joe's owns Aldi?

Sprouts is another possibility. They're expanding rapidly in metro Atlanta, with 8 stores open already and at least 5 more under way -- including their first South of I-20 in Peachtree City (less than a mile from Fresh Market). There's still no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's on the Southside, though PTC will soon get an Aldi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area