Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

My wife and I will be visiting Savannah in the second weekend of December. We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency on the riverfront. I just had some questions if you all could help me out with them, it would be much appreciated.

1. We are planning on just having our car valeted for the weekend and walking everywhere. Is this feasible while staying at the Hyatt? We don't plan to travel south of, say, the Oglethorpe Avenue (if we make it that far). Besides the normal cautions associated with visiting a new city (be aware of your surroundings, etc.) is there any extra care we should take in walking around, day and night?

2. We are planning on making reservations at The Olde Pink House either that Friday or Saturday night around 6 PM. As noted above, we will be walking there and, given that we are dining out, I will likely be wearing a suit or (at the very least) a dinner jacket. I know this screams "mug me", but the walk appears no longer than 5 minutes and we will likely walk down E Bay Street to Abercorn Street (as opposed to E Bay Street to Drayon Street). Does anyone recommend against this? It seems silly to take a cab for a 5 minute walk. I assume the walk back to the hotel would be around 8 or 9 PM the latest.

3. How well is the Historic District policed at night?

4. We plan on walking all around the Historic District on Saturday, are there any "must sees" or "must eats" while doing so?

5. In preparation for our visit I have been reading, of course, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Despite being published twenty years ago, how relevant is Berendt's depiction of Savannah today?

Thank you all for any and all responses.

Last edited by Radetzky March; 11-12-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 06:53 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think your plan is good, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You will be in an area with a lot of pedestrian activity at that time. Muggings can happen anywhere, but probably won't. Just be aware of your surroundings. Most of the crime that happens, happens in the wee hours.

If you want to immerse yourselves in the things mentioned in "the book", it is fun to go on the tour of the Mercer Williams House, where Jim Williams lived. His sister still lives there. Not sure if it is open on weekends.

Clary's, the breakfast place in the book, is within walking distance too. Another old historic inn and restaurant mentioned in the book is 17Hundred20. I believe Sonny Seiler goes there towards the end of the book. He was one of the lawyers for Jim Williams, and played the judge in the movie. If you don't know, his family still raises all the GA bulldog mascots.

The Lady Chablis still performs, from time to time, at Club One. It's on my bucket list to see her, but I haven't yet.
I'm not a native, but my feeling is NOTHING changes in the upper echelon of Savannah (or the lower either).

Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,435 times
Thank you for the response and I will be sure to check out those venues from "the book".

My biggest concern was walking from the Hyatt to the Pink House in a suit around 5 and back sometime between 8 and 9.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radetzky March View Post

My biggest concern was walking from the Hyatt to the Pink House in a suit around 5 and back sometime between 8 and 9.

Yep, I agree. That's the usual time that the ghost of Danny Hansford generally appears in that area.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response and I will be sure to check out those venues from "the book".

Generally crime in the historic district isn't an issue. You'll be alright with whatever you've got on.

Also, keep in mind, the area is VERY compact. Even if you decide to venture south of Oglethorpe Avenue, say, to Forsyth Park, it won't be more than a 15 minute walk from the Hyatt/riverfront.

I used to live near the vicinity of Abercorn and Anderson (about 2 blocks southeast of Forsyth Park in the Thomas Square neighborhood) and I could bike to the riverfront in about 10 minutes. Walking from that far south was still only about 35-40 minutes.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^^^ I walk Habersham to the river in 30 slow minutes Absolutely correct. (Henry and Habersham)

Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Generally. Very generally.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:

WHY?! With all due respect sir, that's one of the dumbest reasons for "concern" that I've ever heard.

Since you've obviously done some research on Savannah, will you please tell us what it is about the city that makes you fear wearing a suit on a downtown street at 5 PM in the afternoon? Or is that just an unfortunate reality of life in the city where you live?

Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 AM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think your plan is good, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You will be in an area with a lot of pedestrian activity at that time. Muggings can happen anywhere, but probably won't. Just be aware of your surroundings. Most of the crime that happens, happens in the wee hours.

If you want to immerse yourselves in the things mentioned in "the book", it is fun to go on the tour of the Mercer Williams House, where Jim Williams lived. His sister still lives there. Not sure if it is open on weekends.

Clary's, the breakfast place in the book, is within walking distance too. Another old historic inn and restaurant mentioned in the book is 17Hundred20. I believe Sonny Seiler goes there towards the end of the book. He was one of the lawyers for Jim Williams, and played the judge in the movie. If you don't know, his family still raises all the GA bulldog mascots.

The Lady Chablis still performs, from time to time, at Club One. It's on my bucket list to see her, but I haven't yet.
I'm not a native, but my feeling is NOTHING changes in the upper echelon of Savannah (or the lower either).
Sorry to veer off track, but your mention of the Mercer House made me recall a recent conversation with a hotelier friend in Savannah. He said that Mercer House and two adjacent properties are to be sold and redeveloped as a boutique hotel. Anyone else heard this?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sorry to veer off track, but your mention of the Mercer House made me recall a recent conversation with a hotelier friend in Savannah. He said that Mercer House and two adjacent properties are to be sold and redeveloped as a boutique hotel. Anyone else heard this?
It wouldn't surprise me. I assume the house belongs to Jim Williams sister now, who lives there. I don't think she would be opening her home up for tours unless the house is too expensive to maintain privately. If someone came along and offered big bucks for the house, she might take advantage of it.
As I remember, there is a least one building next to the house where the antiques gallery was. Can you imagine how tourists would flock to a hotel like this?

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-17-2015 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: