Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,042,588 times

Advertisements

Palmetto bugs and Pillsbury Dough rolls won't kill you - a violent robbery can.

I hesitate to see how witnessing a very real violent robbery in her neighborhood is "opinion" or "feelings" it is fact.

Yes, the fact is some people are less afraid of risk (being robbed/killed) while others would prefer to hedge their bets (not live in a high crime area or take extra precautions). There are also people who keep their head in the sand and don't believe crime happens around them - that it is contained in the "bad" areas, and happens only between the "bad guys". Or they don't want to acknowledge it because they are afraid it will affect their property values, or diminish tourism.

We visited Savannah many years ago and found it lovely. We stayed in the middle of the historic district and arrived at dusk our first night. We were walking from our B&B on a beautiful street when we were stopped by a local woman in a car who told us it was "not safe" to walk at this time of night, and to go back, and stay away from the bushes because of robberies. The next day we bought a local paper and the front page story was of a 45 year old wife and mother shot in the head in a local grocery store parking lot in the middle of the day the prior day - a random robbery.

This wouldn't bother some people who live amongst crime - we didn't, and it did. Whatever the "facts" I think it's only fair to be honest about the crime situation, especially for people considering moving there. And let people make their own decision whether the level of crime is acceptable to them, without calling them "wimpy" or criticizing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM

50,522 posts, read 64,490,991 times
I get what you are saying, macalan, but to me Savannah is no less safe than anywhere else. Bad things happen everywhere, when people are in the wrong place at the right time. To live in fear is to give in. When good people stay behind closed doors, the bad guys win.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM

976 posts, read 1,159,073 times
Parts of Savannah are definitely less safe than others, and those same parts are certainly more dangerous than other parts of other cities. The truth is though, that violent crime in Savannah is on an upswing over the past year. Proposals in which to deal with the problem are a little bit long on lip service (read: campaign promises), and a whole lot short on action.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,042,588 times
Gentlearts - I've heard that a lot - "crime happens everywhere", but in reality it doesn't. There are cities - we lived in one - where "crime" is teenagers drinking and acting up. Our city was small, but our city was not the only place like this. No, violent crime does NOT happen everywhere, and people who say that either have never lived anywhere where this is not violent crime, or are trying to make themselves feel better by saying "it's everywhere".

For people who have never lived amongst violent crime - in their own neighborhood - it's very unsettling. Nothing wrong with being careful, or even not wanting to live there because of it. Maybe if people didn't just put up with it and started moving away, or no longer visited, it would hit where it hurts and there'd be more of an effort to control the crime.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,290,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get what you are saying, macalan, but to me Savannah is no less safe than anywhere else. Bad things happen everywhere, when people are in the wrong place at the right time. To live in fear is to give in. When good people stay behind closed doors, the bad guys win.
Savannah is FAR more dangerous than most other cities its size in the US. Our stats are way high per capita. And just wait until the Metro Police Dept is split off the County. I mean that would be like saying you like St. Louis or Detroit, because nothing happened to you. Yet. But, this can easily be fixed, and it must be fixed. Half a BILLION dollars for an arena, art center, a CAT streetcar, and ripping out an interstate ramp? ALL of which almost no one wants, except the fatcat donors and their local companies. Mind boggling. Or... more police, more teachers, more job training, more programs for youth? I think half a BILLION could go a long way. City Manager, Mayor, and Council, need to go. Get your friends in the city to vote TOMORROW.

And KNOW where to vote!! Go to the right polling place! (I think the city has a website somewhere)

Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
After the election, maybe we should all start a new country on Hutchinson Island.
Like one of those tiny island nation-states with observer status at the UN right? We can fund it with a US 17 toll, and grow bananas on north side of the island.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Like one of those tiny island nation-states with observer status at the UN right? We can fund it with a US 17 toll, and grow bananas on north side of the island.
I like the way you think.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:28 AM

Ah yes gentle, we'll have a highly successful tropical paradise with our banana exports. It will be our own banana republic!

Now for your Public Service Announcement of the Day: Know where to Vote!
http://elections.chathamcounty.org/Elections
savannahnow.com/elections

Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
FYI, I've applied for a franchise from The Baby Doc College of Offshore Medicine. Taking applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area