Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:16 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,985,799 times

Advertisements

It seems you're getting a fair bashing by a few locals.

I think your post was well written and thought out. Not everyone will like or appreciate what you have to say, but at the end of the day, it's just your opinion, and an understandable one at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:51 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,116,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
You lost me at "Savannah is just like any other southern city of its size".

Yep, that's a problem from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
It seems you're getting a fair bashing by a few locals.

It's... just your opinion, and an understandable one at that.

I have to agree with that. I think this is about the OP more than it is about Savannah: I'm always skeptical when young men rate the good looks of local girls on the street -- it's unscientific and worthless. Also, there is no "Savannah accent" left -- it belongs to an older generation of Savannahians (age 65+) and has been replaced almost entirely by "Georgia." Finally, Savannah is more ethnically diverse than just about any southern city its size; Savannah's a seaport, and there are Sephardic Jewish, Greek, and Chinese communities in addition to African Americans and Scots-Irish-German whites. I'm from that last group, and when my family moved to Savannah, the ethnic diversity (plus so many Catholic parish churches and parochial schools -- and four synagogues) was a revelation compared to the rest of Georgia. Still is.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 02-20-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 12:41 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Also, there is no "Savannah accent" left -- it belongs to an older generation of Savannahians (age 65+)
Well most of the people I talked who had it were older folks. Plus one shop "girl" (she dressed younger, but was probably late 30s/early 40s), three younger guys, and one black guy who was North of the city at a gas station.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 PM

98 posts, read 205,514 times
There are many livable neighborhoods outside of the downtown historic district that don't break the bank. Sure, you have your typical suburban cookie cutter neighborhoods like Pooler, but I think there are many neighborhoods all throughout the Savannah area that are unique and full of homes with charm. Having lived in NYC and Atlanta before moving to Savannah, I am perfectly content here and so are many others. Thank you for spending time in Savannah and I hope you come back for another visit and enjoy the unique qualities that Coastal Georgia and Savannah has to offer.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,958,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I'm always skeptical when young men rate the good looks of local girls on the street -- it's unscientific and worthless.
Indeed, the OP is certainly entitled to his opinion about the livability of Savannah (or any city for that matter). I don't really care. But I draw a line at his unapologetic (admittedly "shallow") objectivity of women -- not just Savannah women, but ALL women from the looks of his posting history.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post42919570

Old 02-20-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuk1219 View Post
There are many livable neighborhoods outside of the downtown historic district that don't break the bank. Sure, you have your typical suburban cookie cutter neighborhoods like Pooler, but I think there are many neighborhoods all throughout the Savannah area that are unique and full of homes with charm. Having lived in NYC and Atlanta before moving to Savannah, I am perfectly content here and so are many others. Thank you for spending time in Savannah and I hope you come back for another visit and enjoy the unique qualities that Coastal Georgia and Savannah has to offer.
Like so many "drive-by" critics of Savannah, the OP wrongly assumed that the Landmark Historic District was the ONLY Historic District -- when in fact, there are 10 in the city. And "downtown" isn't the most desirable or expensive historic district either -- Ardsley Park / Chatham Crescent, Isle of Hope or Vernonburg.

National Register Historic Districs ‹ Historic Savannah Foundation
And the Lowcountry "island" lifestyle of coastal Georgia and South Carolina is unlike anywhere else in the country. How the OP completely overlooked the dozens of idyllic island communities between downtown and the beach is a mystery.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
So I finally managed to make the trip down to Savannah (only 6 months late!) and I have to say more so than any other city of its size it makes itself very clear to you very quickly.

Basically Savannah is just like any other southern city of its size in SC/GA with an added Historic District and nearby beach.

On the one hand for the vast number of people who call the area home it is not a good place to live at all. Cookie cutter, projects/low income housing (albeit clean and maintained), ho hum development, and so forth.

But on the other hand if you have the money to live in or near the Historic District (or out at the beach) it’s a storybook lifestyle.

Divisions by class & money seem alive and (unfortunately) well.

The People:

Basically you have:

* Tourists.
* Businessmen.
* SCAD students.
* Drifters of the gutter punk/crust punk type.
* Locals (both black & white with other minorities underrepresented).

Just about everyone was somewhat friendly saying hello and the locals followed the traditional southern ways (being addressed as Sir, manners, etc.) Even the tourists were friendly. Probably because the nature of the Historic District is so laid back and beautiful.

Diversity was a bit lacking. Mostly it was the tourists and SCAD students who crossed race/orientation boundaries. A lot of the black people I spoke with seemed overly friendly and a bit timid sort of like the servant mentality coupled with the fear that you might tell them their place at any moment.

SCAD students seemed on the whole a bit stuck up, which I suppose since they go to the equivalent of an Ivy League School for artists is understandable, but that they failed to recognize me as one of them despite lacking their alternative uniform/dress/hairstyle was depressing. Maybe it is just the mistakes of youth and a blanket resentment of tourists? I have no idea.

The business men seemed pissed off having to put up with the tourists. While the drifters of the type common to both places like Asheville/Portland were not as numerous and were mostly doing street performance.

Other white locals seemed to embrace more mainstream views (with one even proud that the city wasn’t big on microbrews) or were older.

Dating/Singles Scene:

As far as the women went a lot of them were on the plain side. The singles scene, while the city has many bars, seemed weak overall.

Mostly it was black or white with the most diversity being when talking about SCAD students. A lot of the tourists were older or families so even the typical touristy thing of having flings with tourists didn’t seem to apply.

The Savannah accent is a bit different from your typical southern accent. It made guys sound like your buddy, but removed the feminine aspect of the southern accent on a woman. A northern comparison might be a woman with a Jersey or Boston accent?

Also once night fell all these young black guys made their way into the city. Most of them were dressed in all black, which certainly wasn’t good for visibly when driving.

A lot of homeless looking people just started wandering around at night as well. The city became a bit spooky with all the Spanish moss oaks filtering the light and the cobblestone shadow-filled passageways. I loved the spooky atmosphere and can see why it’s said to be the most haunted city in the south.

Compared to Charleston I’d say the nice areas are nicer, but the areas outside of that were lousy, while Charleston’s were livable. Charleston has more beaches to choose from, but as far as quality the two cities seemed comparable. Charleston has largely eliminated the riff raft from downtown and the women are more attractive on the whole.

Unlike what other CD posters have suggested the comparison between Asheville and Savannah being on the same level, they aren’t. It’s not even close. However, Asheville's other positives outside of the city seemed better (nature mainly).

Overall...

It's an amazing city to visit, but as far as who would want to live there it’s a bit of a question mark. Those most likely to be able to afford living in the nice areas are probably going to find a deal breaker in the negatives of the city and those who are more willing to accept the risks/downsides can’t really afford the nice areas. Those people are probably likely to just go to New Orleans (assuming the spooky/ghost thing isn’t the main draw for them).

Personally I see it as a place to either fall in love with as a SCAD student (and then move after school) or as a place to retire for well-to-do (probably white, probably married), laid-back, heat loving folks who have a higher tolerance for riskier situations.

As such I'd love to go back and visit, maybe even stay for a few months, but will probably never call it home as it is in its current state.

Ah well, mark another off the relocation list.
Thanks for the post!

I just read some of the comments, and I'd say that it has a lot of value to potential re-locators. I enjoyed it, and it gives me a good impression of the city. I think people can read it well enough to know if Savannah appeals to them.

Thanks for the post.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,718,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thanks for the post!

I just read some of the comments, and I'd say that it has a lot of value to potential re-locators. I enjoyed it, and it gives me a good impression of the city. I think people can read it well enough to know if Savannah appeals to them.

Thanks for the post.
If you feel, based on one rambling post, it has "a lot of value" I would suggest you spend a few hours on City Data Savannah and perform a better job of due diligence. Don't drink the first cup of Kool Aid that is offered to you based on the size of the cup. This post is three sentence long and my advise will serve you well no matter what you decide in the future.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM

76 posts, read 123,124 times
Hi:
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Savannah. I lived there a short time when I was very young and have happy memories of Savannah. Can any of the residents advise on a nice neighborhood to live within the city? Are the hospitals and doctors good? My son finished boot camp at Fort Benning and when we went back to GA we realized how much we missed it. Really miss the Southern charm and nice folks. We don't get much of that on the West coast.....

Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyCat View Post
Hi:
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Savannah. I lived there a short time when I was very young and have happy memories of Savannah. Can any of the residents advise on a nice neighborhood to live within the city? Are the hospitals and doctors good? My son finished boot camp at Fort Benning and when we went back to GA we realized how much we missed it. Really miss the Southern charm and nice folks. We don't get much of that on the West coast.....
There are MANY very nice and desirable areas to live in Chatham County, from Pooler on the west side (fastest growing city in Georgia) to the islands and Tybee Beach. Hospitals and medical care are top notch. We have an outstanding airport, and thanks to a booming tourism market, our dining, shopping and entertainment options are off the chain for a city this size.

If you haven't been to Savannah in many years you owe yourself a visit. It has changed tremendously -- all for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area