Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:13 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,286,805 times

Advertisements

agree with mason on all. Savannah's positives outweigh any negatives at least in my book. The way I look at it there is room for improvement and in many areas Savannah is getting better every day. I think racism will eventually change, things will continue to improve especially as Savannah becomes more cosmopolitan and we get more immigrants from around the world. By the way the native multigen Savannahians in their golden years are often fun and eccentric, which keeps things interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,126,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
. By the way the native multigen Savannahians in their golden years are often fun and eccentric, which keeps things interesting.

Totally agree with that, SL. It's much like that in New Orleans and Charleston too. These folks are one more ingredient that makes Savannah so different from the rest of Georgia -- and much cooler, in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,997,782 times
People will ask "Why do you live in Savannah? HOW can you live in Savannah?" And I always want to respond, "Come. Let me show you why. Let me show you how."

Let me take you for a walk down Bull Street on a glorious April Saturday afternoon, and let's pause in every single square to take in every single wedding. How many you ask? Who knows! Too many to count. Let's keep walking, excuse me please to step around the proud mamas and daddies with little babies and frisky toddlers galore, the dogs -- OH THE DOGS! -- big dogs, little dogs, skinny dogs, fat dogs, HAPPY HAPPY DOGS! Let's fight the crowds at the edge of Forsyth Park, pause to take in the boom-baba-boom-click of the hippy drum circle, and the mournful sound of a lone accordion player sitting under yonder tree. Let's hurry past the lovers and prom dates and newly married brides and groom all posturing for photos around the famous Fountain of Swans. Let's pass the squealing children on the playground, the ice cream man hawking Nutty Buddies from a push cart, and ease our way into the slow meandering line of admirers, gazing at the results of SCAD's annual Sidewalk Arts Fest -- chalk art as far as the eye can see. On the wide green lawn to the right, shirtless dudes playing rugby. On the wide green lawn to the left, fit girls in tight black leotards doing yoga and ti chi.

When we reach the far end of the park, a mile from our starting point, we'll turn around and take it all in again -- in reverse.

WHY DO I LIVE IN SAVANNAH? I can't begin to comprehend why you'd even have to ask. But for for those of you who do, for those of you who JUST DON'T GET IT ... we have a saying for you here in the South, and we mean it with all sincerity:

BLESS YOUR HEART!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:33 PM

975 posts, read 1,156,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
People will ask "Why do you live in Savannah? HOW can you live in Savannah?" And I always want to respond, "Come. Let me show you why. Let me show you how."

Let me take you for a walk down Bull Street on a glorious April Saturday afternoon, and let's pause in every single square to take in every single wedding. How many you ask? Who knows! Too many to count. Let's keep walking, excuse me please to step around the proud mamas and daddies with little babies and frisky toddlers galore, the dogs -- OH THE DOGS! -- big dogs, little dogs, skinny dogs, fat dogs, HAPPY HAPPY DOGS! Let's fight the crowds at the edge of Forsyth Park, pause to take in the boom-baba-boom-click of the hippy drum circle, and the mournful sound of a lone accordion player sitting under yonder tree. Let's hurry past the lovers and prom dates and newly married brides and groom all posturing for photos around the famous Fountain of Swans. Let's pass the squealing children on the playground, the ice cream man hawking Nutty Buddies from a push cart, and ease our way into the slow meandering line of admirers, gazing at the results of SCAD's annual Sidewalk Arts Fest -- chalk art as far as the eye can see. On the wide green lawn to the right, shirtless dudes playing rugby. On the wide green lawn to the left, fit girls in tight black leotards doing yoga and ti chi.

When we reach the far end of the park, a mile from our starting point, we'll turn around and take it all in again -- in reverse.

WHY DO I LIVE IN SAVANNAH? I can't begin to comprehend why you'd even have to ask. But for for those of you who do, for those of you who JUST DON'T GET IT ... we have a saying for you here in the South, and we mean it with all sincerity:

BLESS YOUR HEART!
NB, you need to apply for a job writing stuff for some show on the Travel Channel. Totally Bourdain, my good man.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
NB, you need to apply for a job writing stuff for some show on the Travel Channel. Totally Bourdain, my good man.
A friend said I need to be working for the CVB. I'm genuinely flattered. This was heartfelt and sincere. Walking through the HD today, I was completely flummoxed as to how ANYBODY would not want to live here. I think it's what they mean by "missing the forest for the trees."

Old 04-24-2016, 10:36 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,733,413 times
Well in "their" defense, and y'all know I don't defend many people" it's the economic part of the equation they can't solve.

For example : ( All of NB says )+ what I want out of life =sounds great (-) how do I make a living ?

Solution: Think about changing your life style, re-invent yourself, change your career, open a business, find a rich soul mate, get in cohoots with pols in Sav., or...??

Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM

145 posts, read 160,822 times
If money and work were not a factor, where would you live and why would you choose that place?

Take your answer to that question and compare it to where you currently live to see how it measures up and do the same with what Savannah offers. I think putting it on paper will help.

As for your other concerns:

1/ the true story of crime. - The recent past is not good but as any investment professional will tell you , past results do not guarantee future returns. A new Mayor has been elected who appears to be taking the issue seriously, more police have been hired and it is a focal point for the community and administration.

2/ what the heck do people DO there outside of work? - Everything people do in HOU NYC LA SND. Watch TV , go to the Gym, Walk their dog, join book clubs, shop, run errands, eat out, see live music, cook dinner, etc. The more important question is what you like to do with your free time. , Post here on city data for like minded folks, if you get lots of hits you know you are good to go.

3/ the true cost of living - This depends on what you do, how much you make, and what you want materially and aesthetically for yourself. If you are a professional it is safe to say that your standard of living in terms of disposable income should increase. How much that allows you to realize the things you want depends on what those wants are. It is a question that doesn't seem subjective, but it actually is in many ways. Simply put ,you should have more money and it should go a bit further but not by all that much.

4/ are Racism and religion truly so prevalent? It depends on who you ask in terms of both of these issues, and also to an extent based on street smarts plus plain old luck as well. There has been enough written on this for you to get your own sense of it. I say trust your gut and instincts as they will most likely be right for you.

5/

There must be SOMETHING you guys like about Savannah? What is it? Tell me the good stuff PLEASE! - Lots of great replies already from long term residents on this. I do not live in Savannah so I think it is best to take it from those who call it their home.

I wanted to live there but life had other plans for me and my family. I hope you will indulge an outsider's point of view though. For a place of it's size Savannah
offers what few other areas in the country can. It has districts where you could live within walking distance of 90% of life's needs. It offers easy access to beaches and parks. It has distinctive cities you can visit within easy reach. It boasts a vibrant artistic, food, and festival scene. Plus lots more. When we were looking at living there we had considered living right in town (historic district) as a daily lifestyle choice. To me, Savannah is unparalleled in the region and, in some ways, within the US in what it has to offer for those that would choose to live in a town. It can meet all the practical daily needs while at the same time offering such a singular place of beauty and culture. I wish you luck in your search and in your ultimate decision.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 PM

^^^^ Thank you for the thought process you put into the posting. Not the usual to say the least. Would love to " talk" about this further off line as a born and raised New Yorker now spending half my time in Savannah for the past 6 years.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice View Post
If money and work were not a factor, where would you live and why would you choose that place?

Take your answer to that question and compare it to where you currently live to see how it measures up and do the same with what Savannah offers. I think putting it on paper will help.

As for your other concerns:

1/ the true story of crime. - The recent past is not good but as any investment professional will tell you , past results do not guarantee future returns. A new Mayor has been elected who appears to be taking the issue seriously, more police have been hired and it is a focal point for the community and administration.

2/ what the heck do people DO there outside of work? - Everything people do in HOU NYC LA SND. Watch TV , go to the Gym, Walk their dog, join book clubs, shop, run errands, eat out, see live music, cook dinner, etc. The more important question is what you like to do with your free time. , Post here on city data for like minded folks, if you get lots of hits you know you are good to go.

3/ the true cost of living - This depends on what you do, how much you make, and what you want materially and aesthetically for yourself. If you are a professional it is safe to say that your standard of living in terms of disposable income should increase. How much that allows you to realize the things you want depends on what those wants are. It is a question that doesn't seem subjective, but it actually is in many ways. Simply put ,you should have more money and it should go a bit further but not by all that much.

4/ are Racism and religion truly so prevalent? It depends on who you ask in terms of both of these issues, and also to an extent based on street smarts plus plain old luck as well. There has been enough written on this for you to get your own sense of it. I say trust your gut and instincts as they will most likely be right for you.

5/

There must be SOMETHING you guys like about Savannah? What is it? Tell me the good stuff PLEASE! - Lots of great replies already from long term residents on this. I do not live in Savannah so I think it is best to take it from those who call it their home.

I wanted to live there but life had other plans for me and my family. I hope you will indulge an outsider's point of view though. For a place of it's size Savannah
offers what few other areas in the country can. It has districts where you could live within walking distance of 90% of life's needs. It offers easy access to beaches and parks. It has distinctive cities you can visit within easy reach. It boasts a vibrant artistic, food, and festival scene. Plus lots more. When we were looking at living there we had considered living right in town (historic district) as a daily lifestyle choice. To me, Savannah is unparalleled in the region and, in some ways, within the US in what it has to offer for those that would choose to live in a town. It can meet all the practical daily needs while at the same time offering such a singular place of beauty and culture. I wish you luck in your search and in your ultimate decision.

Nice to see someone who doesn't live in Savannah have such a point-on and positive post about Savannah. It's true that despite her faults, Savannah is an amazingly sultry and intoxicating city that causes grown men to swoon and women to cry.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:22 AM

There is something in the water that also makes us write a better story about the charms of Savannah.
I sense it every time I drink the water with a touch of Red label. (The Red label is just a precaution against impurities in the water...just so you know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area