Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,153 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone will see this since the last post was 5-14 but I just found myself compelled to write! Newsboy, you seem like you are born of a different time - I could listen and talk to you all day long - do you write at all? If not, you should. I find myself drawn to your posts - they are so engaging and when you speak about Savannah it seems like I am transported there and seeing what you see and feeling what you feel. Thank you!

I don't live in Savannah (yet!) but am also currently in a large metro area (Washington, DC). I think maybe I've been an "old soul" for a long time now - longing for a simpler and less hectic life than I had when I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's. I'm a northerner by birth (NY State), my husband was born in VA and has been there all his life. Now that I am retired and in my 60's I no longer desire to be in this craziness that is the DC area - my husband will retire next year and feels the same way.

To the OP (if she pops back in here again) I would say that if you want the same kind of life you have now in TX, then don't move or move to another metro area. Sometimes people need that excitement, all the culture and activities available in a metropolitan area that are not always present in smaller areas. And then sometimes, when you have them, you discover that while they enhance your life at times, they are not always necessary to live a life that is rich and fulfilling. My husband and I have only seen Savannah one time overnight on our way to Florida last year - I'd have to say that it was indeed intoxicating even for that one day. We met some wonderful people just by stopping in a bar on the riverfront. We plan to come back for a real vacation there and to explore the city. If there is one thing I have learned in my 64 years, it is to be open to change - open to new experiences - and open to the possibility that being out of your comfort zone sometimes is a damn good place to be. Life is too short and you really don't want to look back and say "if only I had done this". Seems as though there are always in these forums no matter what city or place you are looking for that there has to be some emphasis on prejudice, poor vs rich, etc. Unfortunately racism is everywhere you go in some way or another- there are the places in every town or city that you do not want to walk in at all and there's crime - ah, all part of living in any city or town. As an example, if you travel by car through the state of NC outside of any major populated town or city, parts of it will tear your heart out when you see the poverty that many people live in. The same goes for Florida - many areas have not recovered from the depression back in the mid 2000's. Maybe because my husband was a police officer for 27 years we are always alert and aware of our surroundings but it is just how you should be but never let it stop you from doing what you want to do. Lots of people carry their racism around and are happy to tell you about it. Ok, so you can't fix ignorant - I used to try but then decided I got too angry and that is not how I want to be. I make it a habit not to discuss religion too much or my views on abortion and other things - I grew up in the 60's and am forever going to be a liberal minded woman. I would just urge the OP to be open to experiencing what Savannah is - read about the city's history, and by all means, if you haven't read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt you need to! If you know that for you to be happy with your lifestyle you need all the amenities of a metro area I'm not sure you would want to make the move to Savannah. Just as an aside, it sure seemed to us when we were there that the nightlife in Savannah was very active - we still love to explore eating/drinking places wherever we travel and Savannah seemed to have a lot of people who loved to party and have fun. Gotta say though that now, my ideal day would involve getting a beach chair, a good book and sitting by the ocean lost in the sound of the waves and my husband taking a nap next to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 7,591 times
this seems like a good place to ask this....can anyone tell me why Garden City has such a high crime rate?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 4,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T[FONT=&quot
For a place of it's size Savannah offers what few other areas in the country can. It has districts where you could live within walking distance of 90% of life's needs. It offers easy access to beaches and parks. It has distinctive cities you can visit within easy reach. It boasts a vibrant artistic, food, and festival scene. Plus lots more. When we were looking at living there we had considered living right in town (historic district) as a daily lifestyle choice. To me, Savannah is unparalleled in the region and, in some ways, within the US in what it has to offer for those that would choose to live in a town. It can meet all the practical daily needs while at the same time offering such a singular place of beauty and culture. I wish you luck in your search and in your ultimate decision.
[/font]

I believe 'The Ice' said the above and sounded perfection to me. We live In Florida (The Villages - I know I know big mistake) - I'm late 50s/dh retired a lot older. I still work from a home office and we can live anywhere. We lived in Georgia - Atlanta for 5 yrs (where we met - he from west tennessee/me from Canada), moved to several places in Florida before dh retired. We are looking not for a place to retire but a place where while I work my husband can walk (more of a slow saunter) our 11 yr old dog down tree lined/shaded streets to 90% of life's needs to have a coffee and read the paper, people watch. We love to go out a lot for a drinks (my limit two) and a place to eat that is unique and not a chain. I've been to Savannah as a tourist and loved it.

I'd appreciate it if someone could suggest areas to look at when we visit where we may plant some roots that may offer the above? I am not sure if the rental house/townhouse/apartment market is good or not, especially accepting of dogs... we can afford up to $2000. a month. Renting for us is better at this point in our lives.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganax View Post
this seems like a good place to ask this....can anyone tell me why Garden City has such a high crime rate?
I believe it's because of how poor it is. I remember reading it has the lowest average annual median family income in Georgia.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I believe it's because of how poor it is. I remember reading it has the lowest average annual median family income in Georgia.
Georgia Ports and lots of other heavy industry with thousands of trucks in and out every day ... does not take a degree in sociology or politics to figure this out

Old 07-24-2016, 04:58 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
I never really could wrap my arms around GC in the past because I only knew a small part of it around the main gate of the Port. If you go several blocks in from Main Street you will find a community of manicured homes,mostly brick ,on a one quarter to Half acre lots. Upon researching the reason why each and every home is kept up so well I found that their community maintenance department loves to impose fines for every offense that makes many other areas around greater Savannah looking shabby and run down and ghetto.

I am becoming a fan of GC.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM

73 posts, read 79,937 times
It is better than some big cities but traffic and air quality is horrible, along with bad humidity. There are many better places: Richmond, Charlottesville, Greenville, Ocala, Greensboro, etc.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
You're starting to repeat yourself my friend.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:57 PM

73 posts, read 79,937 times
That is for the people that don't read every post. Sorry if you and a few other rose colored glasses people on here don't like my brutal honesty but I am calling it like I see it.
I have been to about 350 cities around the world and have the experience to know about the livability of a place.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentmissing View Post
That is for the people that don't read every post. Sorry if you and a few other rose colored glasses people on here don't like my brutal honesty but I am calling it like I see it.
I have been to about 350 cities around the world and have the experience to know about the livability of a place.
Well, I guess that makes you the expert then! Now the question: Why are you still here? If it's such a horrible place, LEAVE! People as miserable as you who keep complaining about the same stuff over and over only look foolish.

CRYING WOLF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bo...lf?wprov=sfsi1

METHINKS SHE DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...much,_methinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area