Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,823 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm expecting a job offer from Memorial Health and just spent a weekend driving around looking at housing to get a feel for non-tourist living.
I'm moving from Houston - which has similar weather and bugs so that is not an issue.

I'm more interested in
1/ the true story of crime. Locals I met in all parts of town described theft or worse in their neighborhoods, no matter how close or far from town. I'm in a big city with its share of crime. but it rarely affects me personally. My car is always outside. Never a problem. Had one minor break in during 20 years. 1/2 mile away - not so great. Is crime (violent and theft) really so overwhelming and pervasive in Savannah? And is there NOTHING being done about it if so?

2/ what the heck do people DO there outside of work? Where I live I can easily decide at the last moment to see an amazing ballet or live theater. Or go to a painting party place. Or bowling. Or a million other activities from low to upscale. The locals I talked to there said if I didn't love the beach or waterway activities, have a lot of family, or drink/eat out a lot - I would likely be bored. And unhappy. One single, 40+ woman I spoke to (similar to me) in Whitemarsh said it was NOT a good place for single, older professional women. She claims there are very few professionals in the city - and that the pool of older, single professional guys is pretty non-existent. A lot of the people I interviewed with (those without young kids) talked about escaping to their 5 acre weekend homes. That's even more country than I can deal with. ::shiver::

3/ the true cost of living. A lot of online salary comparisons show that cost of living is a lot lower in Savannah. But that seems to ignore that you guys have state tax - which we don't have in Texas. Real estate taxes seems lower. And sales tax (ours is 8.25%.) This biggest reason for lower COL seems to be related to housing costs. The COL calculators say it is lots cheaper to buy/rent in Savannah.
However, from what I saw on Zillow, and from driving about last weekend, it seems the avg Savannah home cost is skewed lower because of the large number of old, bad, low end housing. I saw few places in the range of my middle class houston home that were as nice as my home. Nicer homes seemed to cost more to buy/rent than in Houston. I drove out to Tybe Island, toured a bit through Whitemarsh and Wilmington Islands, Skidaway, Island of Hope, Sandfly, Thunderbolt (ew), and parts of Southside (found a pretty little subdivision outside Truman Parkway but dont recall its name). In midtown I liked the looks of Kensington Park area better than Ardsley Park. Not sure I could deal with parking and tourism and crime surrounding the downtown/historic area, but the parks are appealing. I was looking more east/south/central due to work. Not sure I could deal with the drive from Tybee tho. Especially as there seems to be few street lights on any roads in Savannah - and Im sure I'll have my share of late work nights.

4/ are Racism and religion truly so prevalent? I admit, religion did seem to pop up in casual conversation during my lunch interview - which was surprising. I wondered what life would be like for an atheist here. In Houston, there's lots of religion but its more live/let live. And while we have our share of bigots, I work in a highly diverse place and dont know anyone who is (at least overtly) racist. But in Savannah my workplace diversity would be small - and I met a number of people who had no issues warning me about the "southern blacks" in Savannah (vs the Northern blacks, I guess). I was really shocked.

These are my big issues and fears. The job seems like a good growth opportunity for me. But I dont want to hate where I live either. And if there is not much to do outside of canoeing/beach, not many professionals, too much crime to hang outside - why would ANY professional live there who didn't have to?

No - there must be SOMETHING you guys like about Savannah? What is it? Tell me the good stuff PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I did not move from a big city, but to me, Savannah has a lot of things to do, but it depends upon what you like.
Every week, the SMN has a "Do" section of the paper, listing the upcoming activities. I suggest you get the paper online and look for yourself.
The symphony is top notch here, and so are the restaurants. The art museum is not so great, but the influence of SCAD keeps the pulse of the art community vibrant.
I like being a half hour from the beach.
The charm of Savannah is in the historic district. If you are not connected to that area, you might as well be in any town, USA.
Crime is a bit of an issue, but it does not affect my doing what I want or going where I want. Would I walk around downtown at 2am? No.
Folks are quite active in their churches here, but unless you feel like oversharing atheism, nobody will care about it. Racism is present here, but I think everyone gets along pretty well.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenk10 View Post
Hi all,
I'm expecting a job offer from Memorial Health and just spent a weekend driving around looking at housing to get a feel for non-tourist living.
I'm moving from Houston - which has similar weather and bugs so that is not an issue.

I'm more interested in
1/ the true story of crime. Locals I met in all parts of town described theft or worse in their neighborhoods, no matter how close or far from town. I'm in a big city with its share of crime. but it rarely affects me personally. My car is always outside. Never a problem. Had one minor break in during 20 years. 1/2 mile away - not so great. Is crime (violent and theft) really so overwhelming and pervasive in Savannah? And is there NOTHING being done about it if so?

2/ what the heck do people DO there outside of work? Where I live I can easily decide at the last moment to see an amazing ballet or live theater. Or go to a painting party place. Or bowling. Or a million other activities from low to upscale. The locals I talked to there said if I didn't love the beach or waterway activities, have a lot of family, or drink/eat out a lot - I would likely be bored. And unhappy. One single, 40+ woman I spoke to (similar to me) in Whitemarsh said it was NOT a good place for single, older professional women. She claims there are very few professionals in the city - and that the pool of older, single professional guys is pretty non-existent. A lot of the people I interviewed with (those without young kids) talked about escaping to their 5 acre weekend homes. That's even more country than I can deal with. ::shiver::

3/ the true cost of living. A lot of online salary comparisons show that cost of living is a lot lower in Savannah. But that seems to ignore that you guys have state tax - which we don't have in Texas. Real estate taxes seems lower. And sales tax (ours is 8.25%.) This biggest reason for lower COL seems to be related to housing costs. The COL calculators say it is lots cheaper to buy/rent in Savannah.
However, from what I saw on Zillow, and from driving about last weekend, it seems the avg Savannah home cost is skewed lower because of the large number of old, bad, low end housing. I saw few places in the range of my middle class houston home that were as nice as my home. Nicer homes seemed to cost more to buy/rent than in Houston. I drove out to Tybe Island, toured a bit through Whitemarsh and Wilmington Islands, Skidaway, Island of Hope, Sandfly, Thunderbolt (ew), and parts of Southside (found a pretty little subdivision outside Truman Parkway but dont recall its name). In midtown I liked the looks of Kensington Park area better than Ardsley Park. Not sure I could deal with parking and tourism and crime surrounding the downtown/historic area, but the parks are appealing. I was looking more east/south/central due to work. Not sure I could deal with the drive from Tybee tho. Especially as there seems to be few street lights on any roads in Savannah - and Im sure I'll have my share of late work nights.

4/ are Racism and religion truly so prevalent? I admit, religion did seem to pop up in casual conversation during my lunch interview - which was surprising. I wondered what life would be like for an atheist here. In Houston, there's lots of religion but its more live/let live. And while we have our share of bigots, I work in a highly diverse place and dont know anyone who is (at least overtly) racist. But in Savannah my workplace diversity would be small - and I met a number of people who had no issues warning me about the "southern blacks" in Savannah (vs the Northern blacks, I guess). I was really shocked.

These are my big issues and fears. The job seems like a good growth opportunity for me. But I dont want to hate where I live either. And if there is not much to do outside of canoeing/beach, not many professionals, too much crime to hang outside - why would ANY professional live there who didn't have to?

No - there must be SOMETHING you guys like about Savannah? What is it? Tell me the good stuff PLEASE!
Now THIS is how you ask a question! These are all valid concerns, and it will take some time for me to think it out and provide answers. But on behalf of all the regular Savannah posters, I want to thank the OP in advance for not simply stating "How do you crazy people live in this Godforsaken place?!" Seriously ... your attitude toward us (and Savannah) makes all the difference in the world!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:48 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
But in Savannah my workplace diversity would be small - and I met a number of people who had no issues warning me about the "southern blacks" in Savannah (vs the Northern blacks, I guess). I was really shocked.
Who said this, people in Houston or Savannah? And what did they mean?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
True cost of living here is big.

Due to affordable housing being in high crime areas this leads to safe areas being more expensive than what they should be. Kensington Park is really nice and close to everything, I live in southside and like my area as it's pretty close to everything but want a bigger city feel. I like Atlanta because of this.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:19 PM

474 posts, read 588,237 times
Quote:

Savannah was, for a long time, a blue-collar community, seeded in sugar, paper, and airplanes. The only white-collar jobs were in banking, law, or medicine. Slowly, that's changing. However, it cannot change without folks like you giving it a shot and moving here.

My parents are in their early 60s and are professionals. They spend a lot of time downtown in the art scene, and are involved with the Telfair. They go to the Book Festival, Music Festival, Movie Festival, any of the food festivals, or any of the other million random events downtown throughout the year. Many people volunteer their spare time to the various societies dedicated to preserving Savannah (we're involved with Historic Savannah Foundation). As Gentlearts said, there is a phenomenal symphony. The Lucas Theatre and the Civic Center get off-Broadway productions once or twice a year. There are multiple playhouses throughout the City, so you could easily see a play. When you look at it this way, there are actually a disproportionate number of cultural activities for a city of its size.

Of course there are bowling alleys, Painting with a Twist outlets, movie theaters, etc.

I won't even try to argue that you'll have as many options in Savannah (the 138th largest Metro in the U.S.) as Houston (the 5th largest metro). Nonetheless, for a town it's size, Savannah has some pretty vibrant options.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Savannah was, for a long time, a blue-collar community, seeded in sugar, paper, and airplanes. The only white-collar jobs were in banking, law, or medicine. Slowly, that's changing. However, it cannot change without folks like you giving it a shot and moving here.

My parents are in their early 60s and are professionals. They spend a lot of time downtown in the art scene, and are involved with the Telfair. They go to the Book Festival, Music Festival, Movie Festival, any of the food festivals, or any of the other million random events downtown throughout the year. Many people volunteer their spare time to the various societies dedicated to preserving Savannah (we're involved with Historic Savannah Foundation). As Gentlearts said, there is a phenomenal symphony. The Lucas Theatre and the Civic Center get off-Broadway productions once or twice a year. There are multiple playhouses throughout the City, so you could easily see a play. When you look at it this way, there are actually a disproportionate number of cultural activities for a city of its size.

Of course there are bowling alleys, Painting with a Twist outlets, movie theaters, etc.

I won't even try to argue that you'll have as many options in Savannah (the 138th largest Metro in the U.S.) as Houston (the 5th largest metro). Nonetheless, for a town it's size, Savannah has some pretty vibrant options.
I've been thinking through my response and you've beaten me to the punch. Rather than address the OPs questions specifically, point by point, I'll just say that there are generally two kinds of people who move to Savannah:

1. Those who see it as a paradise, come with romanticized and inflated expectations ... and inevitably are disappointed.
2. Those who come reluctantly, expecting the worst or a mediocre / boring life at best ... and end up falling in love with the place.

Of course, there are those who fall somewhere in the middle. And yes, the same can be applied to ALL cities if we get honest. Because of the unique circumstances that apply to Savannah, however (which the OP highlighted) I think it's safe to say that MOST people who come here fall on one side or the other.

ME? I'm in the latter category. I'm a Metro Atlanta (big city) native who moved to Savannah the first time in my late 20s, more than 20 years ago, for a job I didn't want but had to have. AND I HATED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. For the first 6 months, every other weekend (literally) I drove back to Atlanta. I actively spent most of that time trying to get a job back in Atlanta.

And then spring came.

I can't tell you it was an overnight love affair, but after six months of hating Savannah I finally started seeing the BEAUTY of Savannah ... of appreciating the slower pace of Savannah, the unique culture and lifestyle of Savannah and most importantly -- THE PEOPLE OF SAVANNAH! I can't tell you exactly when it happened, but late one Sunday night driving back into the city after a weekend in Atlanta ... The stench of the paper mill reached my nostrils, and I knew I was home.

I eventually went back to Atlanta ... and regretted it from day one. I spent the next 10 years trying to return Savannah, and have been back here since 2009. I don't ever want to leave.

I'm not about to suggest that the same is true for everyone, or even the OP. But I will state unequivocally that Savannah is a unique and special place in all of America that can't be duplicated. Living here is NOT for everyone, but for many MANY people ... living here is EVERYTHING. It's hard to describe unless you experience it, which is why I encourage the OP to give Savannah a shot. This city will suck you in on many levels if you let it.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Nice posts AJC and News. I was the latter, News. I love it for what it is. I like the culture, the vibe, the people, the landscape. AJC- beautiful post. Karen- check out places on the Islands. Thunderbolt and that area too. The south part of the east side is safe, it is just the northeast area with the 'state names' streets by Bonaventure to avoid. Historic downtown basically safe, though pricey. Just avoid west a block of MLK you'll be fine. A lot of good restaurants on MLK itself though. Southside and midtown are safe and affordable in most areas, with a 'Mid Century Modern' vibe. Big trees, nice yards, close to everything. But if you're a doctor or something...The Landings. Probably one of the nicest, safest neighborhoods in the country. Or Isle of Hope or Dutch Island. Not in my price range...yet...

Old 04-04-2016, 09:00 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
Quote:
Wait whaaaat? I have observed a bit of reverse racism and it's local politics. Hopefully that will get better over time. But when it gets to neighbors and friends and colleagues... Noo. Nope. My best friends are these "southern blacks" (as I have heard just about no one say before). As are my best neighbors. Savannah is diverse but doesn't make a show of it. It just is. And then you have got the artsy SCAD culture and big military bases. An interesting fusion.

And no you would not want to live on Tybee and commute to Memorial. Unless you were flying there with a helicopter.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Wait whaaaat? I have observed a bit of reverse racism and it's local politics. Hopefully that will get better over time. But when it gets to neighbors and friends and colleagues... Noo. Nope. My best friends are these "southern blacks" (as I have heard just about no one say before). As are my best neighbors. Savannah is diverse but doesn't make a show of it. It just is. And then you have got the artsy SCAD culture and big military bases. An interesting fusion.

And no you would not want to live on Tybee and commute to Memorial. Unless you were flying there with a helicopter.
Yeah, I'll agree that Savannnah is one of the "least churchy" cities in the South. The largest (and really only) MEGA CHURCH in town, Savannah Christian, welcomes gay and lesbian members with open arms. And that's pretty much the norm, except for a few fundamentalist congregations on the fringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area