Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,193,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I feel really bad about this, but yesterday I was parking on Broughton in one of the 2-hour free spaces just as a meter maid walked by. I stopped her to inquire about the rules regarding parking across the lines. I've always been very careful to park BETWEEN the hash marks, because it was my understanding that parking outside of them was an automatic ticket.

Anyway ... she told me that you're only ticketed IF one of your tires is competely outside the lines and across into another space. To which I replied, "do you mean like these 2 cars?" And she walked into the street and said, "Oh yes, thanks for pointing them out to me I didn't even notice" -- AND SUBSEQUENTLY WROTE THEM TICKETS!!!!

I felt so guilty...
Don't. That would have made my day. Of course, l'm all about the Schadenfreude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,282,561 times
gentle, I have the same philosophy and have similar issues sometimes. I think, there may be a severely disabled veteran that that needs it. Many a time it just seems like ordinary women that have a little extra weight decide that qualifies them to park in handicapped parking. It's disheartening. I however have also learned not to judge immediately because some people that look fine may not be (like with MS). So many of them that don't seem handicapped may really and truly be. Hard to say. But since you can't know.. I try not to think about. Like pink said, got too much already going on. If I see someone that needs help loading the car worse off then me, I help. Hopefully the world all balances out.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM

202 posts, read 231,773 times
"... don't seem handicapped may really and truly be. Hard to say." Definitely mentally handicapped.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times
The thing is, if you have a permit or a license plate, you can park there. If not, you can't. In some states there is a picture ID on the handicapped tag, so only the person on the tag can use it.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM

7,494 posts, read 6,285,643 times
The bigger problem is she VOTES.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:16 AM

202 posts, read 231,773 times
Here's the rule: Abusing Disabled Parking Privileges

Any person that is not disabled who intentionally and falsely represents itself in order to get such a permit is liable for a fine of not less than $100 but not more than $500 dollars and the vehicle may be towed away. Any person that parks in the parking space designated for persons with disabilities when not entitled to it is guilty of a misdemeanor and the vehicle may be towed away.

Effective in 2006, the Georgia Department of Revenue assumed responsibility for the issuing and renewal of disabled persons parking placards (hang tags) within Georgia. Placards are available throughout the state at local county tag offices. You will need to complete a MV-9D application available on the Department of Revenue website. To qualify for disability parking plates or placards (sometimes incorrectly referred to as “handicapped stickers” or “handicapped hangtags”) in Georgia the applicant must meet one of the following requirements:
  • Unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest,
  • Unable to walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, etc.
  • Restricted by lung disease,
  • Use of portable oxygen needed,
  • Restricted by a cardiac condition,
  • Restricted by arthritic, neurological, orthopedic condition,
  • An impaired hearing.
As you'll notice, a couple of the impairment requirements would be undiscernable just by looking at the person.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,439,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMaddoxRox View Post
Don't know if they'd do a thing (or could at this point) but will police send her a ticket after the fact?

Such a nice display of southern hospitality.

Unfortunately, I don't believe police have jurisdiction in private parking lots......

Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Here's the rule: Abusing Disabled Parking Privileges

Any person that is not disabled who intentionally and falsely represents itself in order to get such a permit is liable for a fine of not less than $100 but not more than $500 dollars and the vehicle may be towed away. Any person that parks in the parking space designated for persons with disabilities when not entitled to it is guilty of a misdemeanor and the vehicle may be towed away.

Effective in 2006, the Georgia Department of Revenue assumed responsibility for the issuing and renewal of disabled persons parking placards (hang tags) within Georgia. Placards are available throughout the state at local county tag offices. You will need to complete a MV-9D application available on the Department of Revenue website. To qualify for disability parking plates or placards (sometimes incorrectly referred to as “handicapped stickers” or “handicapped hangtags”) in Georgia the applicant must meet one of the following requirements:
  • Unable to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest,
  • Unable to walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, etc.
  • Restricted by lung disease,
  • Use of portable oxygen needed,
  • Restricted by a cardiac condition,
  • Restricted by arthritic, neurological, orthopedic condition,
  • An impaired hearing.
As you'll notice, a couple of the impairment requirements would be undiscernable just by looking at the person.
I use my hang tag when I need to, I bring it with me from out of state. I get looks all the time for using it. I shattered my ankle 7 years ago. But if I see someone who has more of a need than I do, I happily give them my spot in the handicap parking. There are others worse off than me and gimping from further out because someone else uses a cane, walker or a wheelchair, I give it to them. I'd rather deal with a bit of pain than someone whose mobility is less than mine. I wish I'd never "earned" that hang tag. But it's a necessity at times when a bone fragment moves and bothers the motion of the ankle for a time. Someday it'll get fused, but for now I use it when I have to.

My late Father had a stroke and couldn't drive. I drove him from the time I was 19 until he passed when I was 30. Some person laid into me getting out of the driver's seat when I was in my mid 20's thinking I was abusing it, then Dad stepped out of the car. Ask her if she had a problem in his best Southern drawl. He had his cane in hand. Shut her right up.

But don't get me going on the lazy person who parks there because they need to get a pack of beer or cigarettes and have no tags. I will tell them off. I tell them they should thank the good Lord they don't need one. I want to make notes up to leave on their windshields that aren't very nice. >

Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,246,513 times
Hard to believe she has a kid. That means.....blech! Need to go scrub my brain.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,471 times
More of the same thing..........
All in Savannah....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCas...TQiuUZ6-QLjmoA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: