Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM

72 posts, read 138,211 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I have been wanting to visit the Savannah area for quite some time and it looks like I'll finally be planning a visit.

I'm just starting to do some research but would more than welcome any suggestions on places to visit, historical sites, restaurants, etc..

I am in love with the south so I'm not necessarily looking to do the touristy things as much as immerse myself in the culture and day to day surroundings. I am planning this trip around the Shrimp and Grits festival (love grits, could eat them every day) and also noticed a sea turtle center on Jekyll Island. But getting back to Savannah, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 07:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
As far as "day to day " stuff, non touristy, would you be interested in joining a gang? As you can see I have too much time on my hands sitting here at the airport.

On a serious note, have a great trip!

Old 05-07-2016, 08:58 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Well, you'll be well supplied with grits here, for sure. Actually, it would be fun to go on a shrimp and grits tour at every restaurant in town and see whose is the best.
Stay in the historic district so you can walk everywhere. If you just roam around you can easily fill a few days just looking at the things you come across.
In Savannah, the things the tourists enjoy are the things that natives enjoy too. There is nearly always something going on on River St. I suggest walking to every square and reading the monuments. Take one of the trolley tours or walking tours to get an overview. Check out the "DO" section of Thursdays Savannah Morning News for the weekend you are coming and see what's happening.
Tour a few of the historical houses. Sit in one of the restaurants on River St. and watch the container ships go by. There is a good restaurant on every corner, and hundreds of independent shops tucked here and there downtown.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
Good morning!

I have been wanting to visit the Savannah area for quite some time and it looks like I'll finally be planning a visit.

I'm just starting to do some research but would more than welcome any suggestions on places to visit, historical sites, restaurants, etc..

I am in love with the south so I'm not necessarily looking to do the touristy things as much as immerse myself in the culture and day to day surroundings. I am planning this trip around the Shrimp and Grits festival (love grits, could eat them every day) and also noticed a sea turtle center on Jekyll Island. But getting back to Savannah, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.
If you head down to Jekyll, plan to get to Darien about lunch. Downtown on the right before the bridge is a little place called B & J's. The best fried shrimp you will ever eat.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
I had some really good shrimp and grits for lunch. Weather is beautiful. All the downtown streets are packed. Sidewalk cafes are overflowing. Tour groups, babies and dogs everywhere. Trolleys, horse carriages, pedicabs, slow rides make slow going around the squares for cars. All the museums and attractions are very busy. Seen several weddings. To-go cups brimming with libations are ample.

These are the things that make Savannah great. Just come, explore and have fun. You won't be disappointed.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:05 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I had some really good shrimp and grits for lunch. Weather is beautiful. All the downtown streets are packed. Sidewalk cafes are overflowing. Tour groups, babies and dogs everywhere. Trolleys, horse carriages, pedicabs, slow rides make slow going around the squares for cars. All the museums and attractions are very busy. Seen several weddings. To-go cups brimming with libations are ample.

These are the things that make Savannah great. Just come, explore and have fun. You won't be disappointed.
Newsboy, where did your sisters, aunt and mother go for lunch yesterday?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 PM

72 posts, read 138,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
On a serious note, have a great trip!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, you'll be well supplied with grits here, for sure. Actually, it would be fun to go on a shrimp and grits tour at every restaurant in town and see whose is the best.
Stay in the historic district so you can walk everywhere. If you just roam around you can easily fill a few days just looking at the things you come across.
In Savannah, the things the tourists enjoy are the things that natives enjoy too. There is nearly always something going on on River St. I suggest walking to every square and reading the monuments. Take one of the trolley tours or walking tours to get an overview. Check out the "DO" section of Thursdays Savannah Morning News for the weekend you are coming and see what's happening.
Tour a few of the historical houses. Sit in one of the restaurants on River St. and watch the container ships go by. There is a good restaurant on every corner, and hundreds of independent shops tucked here and there downtown.
Reading your suggestions, I found myself being drawn in. It all sounds wonderful. I've been looking at alot of the photos of the area and it's beautiful - the churches, the streets, the trees, everything. I've found the older I get, the more interested I am in the historical value of an area. I've been to Thomasville a couple of times and was struck by the genuine politeness, the rich history, and beauty. I've said in another conversations here, I do believe i was born and raised in the wrong part of the US!

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If you head down to Jekyll, plan to get to Darien about lunch. Downtown on the right before the bridge is a little place called B & J's. The best fried shrimp you will ever eat.
That sounds like a place I would like to try. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Trouble is, I probably won't want to leave! lol

Old 05-08-2016, 10:03 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times
Skipper's Fish Camp in Darien check it out also! Eat on the river on the deck right by the Georgia shrimping fleet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area