Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 79,865 times

Advertisements

There is a large Army base nearby and I have been told you can hear explosions and artillery fire often. Getting in and out of Savannah is hard. I would look to a place with road access from all directions and No bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 15,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Just curious but why Richmond Hill? I was stationed at Ft. Stewart when I was in the Army and I use to go their from time to time to visit military buddies or pass through on my way to Savannah and it's really nothing special. I just can't think of why anyone would just want to pick up and move cross country to a place like Richmond Hill, especially if they've never actually been there and have family/friends there. I knew 6 or 7 people that lived in Richmond Hill with kids and they all pretty much said they'd rather have just lived on base or closer to Savannah.

In all honesty, we are thinking about moving cross country because we really don't have any family here and the ones we do have here we hardly see so really having family close or far does not matter to us. We would like to get away from the freezing temperatures and snow in the winter time. We also would like to be an hour from the ocean as apposed to 17 hours away. I'm not treating Richmond Hill as some sort of special top of the line place to live I got this information from some locals when we visited Savannah in July and I've also done some research. I'm actually researching a few other places closer to the ocean as well not just Richmond Hill and not just in Georgia. I appreciate your information though and yes we plan on making a trip to Richmond Hill/Savannah and staying for a week to get a feel for the place. I would not just randomly pick up and move my family somewhere cross country on a whim I'm planning on making a decision within a year whether we stay in Iowa or move south which is why I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:42 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stighe1807 View Post
In all honesty, we are thinking about moving cross country because we really don't have any family here and the ones we do have here we hardly see so really having family close or far does not matter to us. We would like to get away from the freezing temperatures and snow in the winter time. We also would like to be an hour from the ocean as apposed to 17 hours away. I'm not treating Richmond Hill as some sort of special top of the line place to live I got this information from some locals when we visited Savannah in July and I've also done some research. I'm actually researching a few other places closer to the ocean as well not just Richmond Hill and not just in Georgia. I appreciate your information though and yes we plan on making a trip to Richmond Hill/Savannah and staying for a week to get a feel for the place. I would not just randomly pick up and move my family somewhere cross country on a whim I'm planning on making a decision within a year whether we stay in Iowa or move south which is why I'm trying to do as much research as possible.
Great reasons my friend! Best of luck to you on your search.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,272 times
OP - curious if you ended up relocating or have had any additional insight into your search. We are in a similar situation coming coming from the Midwest with young children and are having a hard time deciding on which area will be best for schools.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:06 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok4321 View Post
I live in Richmond Hill. I live in town rather than the outskirts. It's a nice little community, but as is the case in many small towns, the gossip mill is horrible. Some folks call it Rumor Hill or Rich Man's Hill. Interesting for a town that has nearly 30 churches between I-95 and Belfast Keller.

We have three EXCELLENT Scout groups for boys and an almost active Girl Scout troop. We do OK in sports and have a great academic reputation.

There is no 'central' town. No typical Main Street USA or city square. GA-144 intersects with US-17. Most businesses are along either of those two roads.

Hardly any dilapidation, though there are plenty of abandoned business office buildings.

We have a great Christmas parade, weekly Farmer's Market, fantastic 4th of July party and of course, the annual Great Ogeechee Seafood Festival.

We have our share of drugs and underage drinking - typical to affluent towns. But overall crime is pretty low. Where US-17 meets I-95, we have thousands of hotel rooms, yet hardly any fine dining establishments. Two Waffle Houses, a Denny's, and a mediocre Southern buffet along with a couple of half-decent bars. It's this area where most of Richmond Hill's police stay busy - generally with Interstate transients rather than the locals. In fact, cops say that it takes nearly a year to get the sort of experience that their peers gain in three months in Savannah.

There is no beach - Tybee is as far as Jekyll or St. Simons. But there is plenty of deep water access if you like fishing in salt or brackish waters.

The furthest homes away from civilization are by far the quietest. Anywhere within the city limits you will hear the sounds of two railroads - one major through way for CSX and a minor shortline. They like to toot at all hours, day and night.

That's my take. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to stay or leave.
How old are your children? If they are grade school age, then you are fine to move to Richmond Hill or Pooler. Once you are here, do you expect to have the resources to choose a private school for high school? If not, it could be a choice between having your kid chosen for a magnet school, or take what's left.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 15,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skh8809 View Post
OP - curious if you ended up relocating or have had any additional insight into your search. We are in a similar situation coming coming from the Midwest with young children and are having a hard time deciding on which area will be best for schools.
We decided to stay in Iowa because moving cross country would be too big of a feat for us at this time. My kids love the school they're currently in and they've made a lot of friends and I'd hate to move them that far. Did you end up moving to Richmond Hill?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 5,033 times
I spend a lot of time in Richmond Hill and have several friends there with kids. (PS I'm from Iowa People who live in Richmond hill all rave about it and say they won't live anywhere else. They all have positive things to say about their experiences with the school from elementary through high school, I don't think you can go wrong there. I am very familiar with the builders out there, and have walked through the models. You can get a lot of square footage for the dollar and still have quality. They value small local eateries, bars, boutiques. It's great, very wooded and pretty.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,645 times
I’m reading this thread for the first time. I see its was started by the OP a few years ago. I’m curious what people’s take on the subject is now. My husband and I are planning to retire in a few years and spent the past couple of night in Richmond Hill. It looks like there is A-LOT if development going on now.
Most of our stay centered around a new Development (not sure if I am allowed to say the name here) that was a bit outside of Richmond Hill. The property we stayed at a lot had A-LOT of building and development going on.
So I guess I have the same question as the OP...to love or not? I don’t have children in school so I’m not too worried about that aspect, but I also don’t want to move and be stuck.
I am originally from a rural area so 15-20 minutes to a grocery store doesn’t phase me.
Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,460 times
the "builder" there being Homes of Integrity/Integrity Real Estate/Horizon Homes? Look at their reviews or ask people in person. I've heard plenty. I'll leave it at that. I know the place you are talking about, I looked at it. Waterways. I think they are leaving it more wooded there (unlike Richmond Hill unfortunately) but yes it's 15-20+ min to anything, seems more like a retirement golf community. But for that, it does seem great. There are custom builders there that do good work.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,645 times
Thanks for your reply. Very helpful! We have not begun to build yet, but when we do we will certainly keep your advice in mind. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area