Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

While most of the projects mentioned in the article have already been discussed here, the only one that catches my eye is mentioned near the end. It says that a developer is looking to put a shopping center on the south end of Pooler.

Quote:
Already this year, franchises like Krystal, CVS Pharmacy, Vaden Chevrolet and the German-based Lidl supermarket have gotten approval from the city to construct new facilities along the bustling north side of Pooler Parkway. And, Byrd said, plans are in motion to expand the Pooler Stadium Cinemas 12 on Pooler Parkway into a dine-in cinema.

Meanwhile on U.S. 80, the city manager reported that work continues to construct a new sales and service facility for Dozier Crane at the highway’s intersection with Pine Barren Road.

And Byrd announced that after several meetings with city officials, a developer planning a 120-unit assisted living facility off Quacco Road is nearly ready to present plans to city officials for consideration.

“They’ll be turning in site plans this month or the beginning of next month,” Byrd said Saturday. “We’ve got an assisted living coming off Pooler Parkway, ... (but) they’re greatly needed and this is going to be an awesome project. ... They’re excited about coming and you’ll see those plans coming shortly.”

In the meantime, hotel franchises continue to see opportunity in rapildy growing Pooler, which is located only a stone’s throw from the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.

Byrd said one hotel, a Hilton Home2 Suites, is under construction now on Towne Center Boulevard and another, a Courtyard Savannah, is planned for a site near the Tanger Outlets on Pooler Parkway.

The city’s planning and zoning commission recommended approval of site plans for the Courtyard Savannah project — along with site plans for two new warehouses — during its meeting Monday.

“Commercial development is continuing to go full speed ahead,” Byrd told the council Saturday.

And while most of the new commercial development so far has stayed near the north end of Pooler Parkway, the city manager said there may be a forthcoming catalyst for growth on the parkway’s less-developed south end.

“We met with some developers on another grocery store,” Byrd said. “I cannot say which one. But it’s in that area. ... If this big box comes, it’s going to domino effect. ... And with this development coming on this (south) end of Pooler Parkway, that’s going to disperse some of the concentration of traffic on the other end of Pooler Parkway. That’s the only thing that’s going to help (congestion on) that (north) end of Pooler Parkway — more construction down this side.”
Hotels, restaurants, grocery stores on deck for west Chatham city | BiS | Business in Savannah News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:50 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
I will be curious to know what the grocery stores are. Are they either limited assortment/discount grocers Aldi and Lidl, supermarkets Kroger, Publix and Walmar Neighborhood Market, or hypermarket Kroger Marketplace?

Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Wouldn't Lidl need another distribution center to supply grocery stores in this area? So far their nearest distribution center would be near Mebane (NC). But that's more than 350 miles away. That seems too far away.
Their distribution center near Mebane is already visible on Google Maps:

https://www.google.de/maps/place/DC+...!4d-79.3322016

With about 850,000 sq ft it seems unusual large. I guess it will clearly supply more than 100 stores. But I doubt it would make sense to supply stores that are more than 350 miles away.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:47 PM

I would like to see Lidl gradually increase store count than rush into an unhealthy growth by opening too many stores at once. If there are more stores in Georgia to warrant another distribution center, Lidl could consider the idea.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will be curious to know what the grocery stores are. Are they either limited assortment/discount grocers Aldi and Lidl, supermarkets Kroger, Publix and Walmar Neighborhood Market, or hypermarket Kroger Marketplace?
We know Lidl and Publix are a sure thing. I think that leaves one mystery grocery store at the south end, so far.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 PM

Could it be a Kroger Marketplace?

Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM

450 posts, read 462,291 times
The North Carolina distribution center is the only on for now for Lidl's that has been mentioned. With Aldi's going behind Longhorns. There isn't really many grocers left unless it is another new to the area one.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
The North Carolina distribution center is the only on for now for Lidl's that has been mentioned. With Aldi's going behind Longhorns. There isn't really many grocers left unless it is another new to the area one.
You aren't talking about Pooler, are you? Because I've not heard about an Aldi's in Pooler.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 PM

450 posts, read 462,291 times
Yes, Aldi's going behind Longhorns in Pooler. Not official yet but I heard from a reliable source they are securing that lot for a store.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Could it be a Kroger Marketplace?
That would be my bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area