Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,573 times

Advertisements

hello,

i have decided i want to move to savannah,ga in march so i still have a little bit of time. im just trying to do my research make sure this is the right move. i will be moving from charleston,sc i decided savannah because i have feel in love with it after many visits. i am 23 years old female im a pharmacy techician, i want to make sure if this is a goodarea to be moving alone. i get everywhere has crime but i keep getting mixed information about the crime in savannah. i just want all the information on the city and how is the job market. thank you in advance for any advice given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times
I have lived here all my life. Beware not safe city. I dont like to watch evening news because you will see at least one or more shootings on a daily basis. I have teenage daughters who do not go to the downtown area at night. However, a few months back there was a 65 yr. old woman who was attacked and shot at 9:45 am waiting for mall to open in Savannah mall parking lot. I have heard Savannah has a problem with gang and drug activity. Too much crime for a small city.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,623,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson1991 View Post
I have lived here all my life. Beware not safe city. I dont like to watch evening news because you will see at least one or more shootings on a daily basis. I have teenage daughters who do not go to the downtown area at night. However, a few months back there was a 65 yr. old woman who was attacked and shot at 9:45 am waiting for mall to open in Savannah mall parking lot. I have heard Savannah has a problem with gang and drug activity. Too much crime for a small city.
What are you going to do, pop in on every moving thread and complain about crime?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,725,256 times
^^^^LOL. She's part of the Doom and Gloom Club of Greater Savannah.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM

i know there is crime every where charleston has shootings every day just depends on the part your in.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM

13,705 posts, read 21,976,986 times
As I've said before ... you can choose to live a life of fear and victimhood, or be a part of an amazing and beautiful community and FIGHT to make it better.

The choice is really yours.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,283,607 times
as others say, it's safe, in most areas. It's simple just don't live near public housing, or the Cuyler slums and streets with state names near Bonaventure. Or live outside the downtown. For comparison, west Savannah/Garden City is like North Charleston. Per capita crime is higher here than most cities this size, but as others say it is concentrated in areas. Maybe the city will do something about this. Maybe not. There was this page a while back that showed a crime map from the newspaper. I searched one time and couldn't find it for some reason.. I will have to look later. Welcome to Savannah!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 AM

thank you! i am looking at the fenwick village apartments i believe they are close to veterns highway is that a good area? and how is the job market for a certified pharmacy technician??

Old 09-16-2016, 08:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^LOL. She's part of the Doom and Gloom Club of Greater Savannah.
HA! I live near one of the worst two places in the nation right now. Newburgh, NY and Poughkeepsie, NY. I stay out of the bad areas. Why ask for trouble. It's like that anywhere you live or visit. I stayed away from the boardwalk in Myrtle Beach because they've been having issues there in the center of the city. Why go? Why borrow trouble? It's all about perspective and knowledge about an area.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,283,607 times
Hm perhaps best to go in a CVS or Walgreen and ask. Call the regional offices for the chains. Fenwick... might look close to Veterans, as the crow flies, but in rush hour that could be 20 mins to half an hour before you even get to Veterans' Parkway, as traffic backs up on 204. "Georgetown" which actually isn't a 'town' but an 'area', is closer. Something to think about if your location to Veterans Prkwy is important. Or you could look at the Coffee Bluff area which is nice and is safe. --Pink: btw the doom n gloom poster ain't me I checked out of the doom and gloom club for the month. Might be some storm clouds in aforementioned areas but I'm out enjoying the weather (now that it's back to decent temps again!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area