Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,262 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have read through some older posts, but was hoping for more recent/relevant information please

A little about us, which has impacted our location selection.

We are currently living in Berkshire, which is 40 miles west of London.

My husband will be based from home, as the US office is based in Atlanta, but will need to go there once a month.

We would much prefer living further south for the weather and I have been researching areas, and feel Richmond Hill suits us the best. Although we have never been be here, so will be arriving blind.

Our other possible option for re-location is Naples, FL as my companies head office is here, so I know the area quite well. But this does depend on husbands company, as they may not be able to transfer him to FL if they do not already have an employee located in the same state.

His company has agreed to start his green card application shortly after arriving, so we would want to rent for 18-24 months for about $1,500 a month, to build up our credit rating and also to save as much as possible for a good deposit to eventually buy a house.

ME

I am 40, and my hobbies are scuba diving.

I won't be able to start working until my EAD comes through as I will be on a L2 spouse visa, which is up to 90 days from application upon landing in the US. So I will be getting us settled in and trying to meet new people.

I hope that I should be able to find work in and around the Savannah area, and happy to commute. I have 17 years experience in finance, but do not have a degree which I know will hinder my possibilities of local employment. But hope that my experiences would be taken into account rather than just dismissing me.

I currently work as a Finance Manager/Controller covering the UK/HK and China companies. I also do group reporting/consolidation for the US company based in Naples, FL. Unfortunately due to the unknown time constraints of our visa's my current company can't offer me an internal transfer.

Husband

He is 39 and in Unified Communications
His hobbies are motorbikes and GP track days. I know there is a track near Savannah which offer this, but would like to know if there are other track within 3 hours drive? Also are there any other sport bike riders in the area he could ride with? Also where are the best places to look for buying bikes for both road and the track? He will not be bringing his with him, so will have to start again.

Son

Our son turns 9 in July, and I know the school starts back in August, and his age group would been joining in in grade 4.
He is my main concern with regards to the move, as he won't know anybody and is shy to start with. Once he knows people he then is fine and very social.

Some questions I was hoping to get some answers are:

1. Which areas are good to live in Richmond Hill for kids similar age to my son, that are safe for him to ride a bike and play outdoors safely?

2. Diving locations within a 2 hour drive? Any local diving clubs too? I have my own equipment but would need to either rent or buy tanks as I will not be able to bring mine over with me due to regulations.

3. Recommendations for car sales, property rentals (So far looking at Zillow, and hotpads.com)

4. What is the internet like in Richmond Hill as a whole, or does it depend on the street? As he will be home based, we need to make sure that the connection is of good quality and speeds in excess of 30MBs.

5. We would need to stay somewhere temporary for a month until we arrive and sign for a rental, any suggestions of the best places? Would need to have internet and possible 2 bedroom.

I know where ever we go we will have a bit of a culture shock coming from the UK, but we are a friendly/social family wanting a happy relaxed lifestyle. I grew up in Canada and my husband grew up in South Africa, so we are used to different cultures and lifestyles.

Happy to answer any questions.

Many Thanks
Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM

474 posts, read 587,610 times
See my responses below, in red.

[quote=chappers77;48229853]

1. Which areas are good to live in Richmond Hill for kids similar age to my son, that are safe for him to ride a bike and play outdoors safely? Look at neighborhoods off State Road 144 (Bryan Neck Road). There are many newer neighborhoods. The pedestrian amenities will be conducive for a young boy to safely ride his bike. Also, there should be many children his age.

2. Diving locations within a 2 hour drive? Any local diving clubs too? I have my own equipment but would need to either rent or buy tanks as I will not be able to bring mine over with me due to regulations.I would image you should be able to find several options off the island suburbs of Savannah. These are within an hour of Richmond Hill.

3. Recommendations for car sales, property rentals (So far looking at Zillow, and hotpads.com) Not sure what type of car or how large of a property you would desire. Most major car manufacturers have a dealership within the Savannah / Hilton Head area.

4. What is the internet like in Richmond Hill as a whole, or does it depend on the street? As he will be home based, we need to make sure that the connection is of good quality and speeds in excess of 30MBs.Internet will likely be better than you're used to. The major providers are Comcast and AT&T. Comcast generally offers speeds up to 105 MBs in the Savannah area.

5. We would need to stay somewhere temporary for a month until we arrive and sign for a rental, any suggestions of the best places? Would need to have internet and possible 2 bedroom.I would suggest an extended stay hotel. Homewood Suites are part of the Hilton portfolio and are generally well priced but very nice. All Hilton properties come standard with internet access for registered guests.

I know where ever we go we will have a bit of a culture shock coming from the UK, but we are a friendly/social family wanting a happy relaxed lifestyle. I grew up in Canada and my husband grew up in South Africa, so we are used to different cultures and lifestyles. You'd be surprised. Savannah is very much a southern town. However, it's growing. JCB has their North American headquarters in Pooler. As a result, you'll find the local supermarkets generally have an expanded English food selection.
As well, Pie Society, an English bakery, has a location in Pooler and in Downtown Savannah. They have typical fare including Pastys and Meat Pies.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
I can't really add anything more than what AJC offered, except to say that Savannah (being one of the original colonial capitals) has close ties to Britian and quote a few ex-pat English citizens etc.

I did find this link which you might find interesting:

10 British Things About Savannah, GA | Anglophenia | BBC America

Also, while you seem focused on Richmond Hill I think Wilmington Island might in fact be more to your liking as it's closer to Historic Savannah and has much better water access, etc.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:29 AM

Hi,

I am so sorry i thought I had come back to your kind replies. Time is going way too fast.

I will go through fully all the replies and come back with any questions.

Thanks again
Claire

Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Are you worried about schools & are you getting any company assist for schools with tuition for private?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Are you worried about schools & are you getting any company assist for schools with tuition for private?
Hi,

I am worried about schools which is why I ended up in Richmond Hill, as it was the only one which was rated 8 or higher that I could find.

Unfortunately his company are not offering school funding, and we will won't be able to afford private schooling as I won't be working until my EAD arrives and once I do we will be saving for a deposit to buy.

Claire

Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 AM

[quote=ajc100890;48256354]See my responses below, in red.
Thank you, I have replied in magenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappers77 View Post

1. Which areas are good to live in Richmond Hill for kids similar age to my son, that are safe for him to ride a bike and play outdoors safely? Look at neighborhoods off State Road 144 (Bryan Neck Road). There are many newer neighborhoods. The pedestrian amenities will be conducive for a young boy to safely ride his bike. Also, there should be many children his age. Thank you

2. Diving locations within a 2 hour drive? Any local diving clubs too? I have my own equipment but would need to either rent or buy tanks as I will not be able to bring mine over with me due to regulations.I would image you should be able to find several options off the island suburbs of Savannah. These are within an hour of Richmond Hill.

3. Recommendations for car sales, property rentals (So far looking at Zillow, and hotpads.com) Not sure what type of car or how large of a property you would desire. Most major car manufacturers have a dealership within the Savannah / Hilton Head area. 4 bed, doesn't need to be huge as there will just be three of us. As for the car, I have found a few dealerships that offer Expats financing deals

4. What is the internet like in Richmond Hill as a whole, or does it depend on the street? As he will be home based, we need to make sure that the connection is of good quality and speeds in excess of 30MBs.Internet will likely be better than you're used to. The major providers are Comcast and AT&T. Comcast generally offers speeds up to 105 MBs in the Savannah area. We currently have cable fibre and get 200MB download/ 20MB up, and only pay $50 a month, so haven't been able to find speeds anywhere near this in RH, but anything over 30MB should be ok as long as it isn't throttled during peaktimes .

5. We would need to stay somewhere temporary for a month until we arrive and sign for a rental, any suggestions of the best places? Would need to have internet and possible 2 bedroom.I would suggest an extended stay hotel. Homewood Suites are part of the Hilton portfolio and are generally well priced but very nice. All Hilton properties come standard with internet access for registered guests. thanks will look into

I know where ever we go we will have a bit of a culture shock coming from the UK, but we are a friendly/social family wanting a happy relaxed lifestyle. I grew up in Canada and my husband grew up in South Africa, so we are used to different cultures and lifestyles. You'd be surprised. Savannah is very much a southern town. However, it's growing. JCB has their North American headquarters in Pooler. As a result, you'll find the local supermarkets generally have an expanded English food selection.
As well, Pie Society, an English bakery, has a location in Pooler and in Downtown Savannah. They have typical fare including Pastys and Meat Pies.
Great info, thank you

Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 PM

105 posts, read 107,615 times
Check out Athens Ga, a progressive college town near the mountains with a much better climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area