Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,181,892 times

Advertisements

While I usually support any residential development that occurs in urban Savannah, I believe the planning board made the right call. I think a six-story building would be out of place for this area.

Quote:
Victorian Neighborhood Association President Andrée Patterson said residential development should be encouraged, but that the Charlotte, N.C.-based developer’s proposal does not make sense for the community.

“The people who are there love their homes they worked so hard at preserving and renovating,” Patterson said. “So much effort goes into it, so we want to protect it and we want to keep it the way it is.”
Savannah planners deny 119-unit apartment complex near Forsyth Park | SavannahNow

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-28-2017 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 06:41 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,282,284 times
totally agree. I'm all in for residential too. It would be perfect if it was three or four stories. Their greed did them in. There will be plenty of good proposals for there that are exactly that, mixed use residential, which will come. Take time, do it right..

Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,118,431 times
Amen, my brother and sister. Definitely the right decision.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,965,980 times
I predict they'll come back with less height and get approval. That's a good use of that block.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I predict they'll come back with less height and get approval. That's a good use of that block.
I do hope not. The way things are going, there'll be an ice cream kiosk inside Colonial Cemetery, "just for the children. It gets so hot in Savannah."

Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,965,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I do hope not. The way things are going, there'll be an ice cream kiosk inside Colonial Cemetery, "just for the children. It gets so hot in Savannah."
This proposal is for RESIDENTIAL! I thought more RESIDENTIAL is what we want in the Historic District? And besides, what's there now is old, ugly and underutilized (2 rundown buildings and a gravel parking lot). This will improve the neighborhood and add much more revenue to the tax rolls.

If only those damn women had minded their business back in the 1950s we wouldn't be in this mess

Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
This proposal is for RESIDENTIAL!
If only those damn women had minded their business back in the 1950s we wouldn't be in this mess
Those "damn women" are probably rolling over in their graves. They formed the Historic Savannah Foundation in the 1950s to promote historic preservation, not the construction of modern apt. buildings and boutique hotels in and around the HD. They'd be up in arms.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
This proposal is for RESIDENTIAL! I thought more RESIDENTIAL is what we want in the Historic District? And besides, what's there now is old, ugly and underutilized (2 rundown buildings and a gravel parking lot). This will improve the neighborhood and add much more revenue to the tax rolls.

Wait really? Developers can vewwy clever.. Tricky Hobbitses. And dress things up as hipster and "more density" residential or whatever. Okay yes infill is good. Very good. Ugly tall buildings around Forsything our crown jewel though?! Would be unfortunate. It's funny because it's tragedy of the commons. Every specific project wants to be "that" hotel or apt that is taller than the rest, to look out on the beautiful city. Imagine Forsyth surrounded by tall buildings.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Those "damn women" are probably rolling over in their graves. They formed the Historic Savannah Foundation in the 1950s to promote historic preservation, not the construction of modern apt. buildings and boutique hotels in and around the HD. They'd be up in arms.
ironic. The industry has them to thank! I stroll through the city so appreciative of its structure, which I think contributes to the culture of 'meeting in squares' and so forth and I appreciate how things are "human scale". Never thought about or cared about architecture one bit till I moved here. I see how valuable it is now.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
ironic. The industry has them to thank! I stroll through the city so appreciative of its structure, which I think contributes to the culture of 'meeting in squares' and so forth and I appreciate how things are "human scale". Never thought about or cared about architecture one bit till I moved here. I see how valuable it is now.
Yes, it is so valuable. Savannah is a jewel, and it is under threat from the latest series of rhinestone reset jobs. Some people think they can always improve the shiny bauble by adding just a little more extra cheap crap. The now-deceased old ladies of the Historic Savannah Foundation were tough old birds. They opposed the Desoto Hilton when the first plans came out in 1966 or so. They would definitely oppose all the newest rhinestone handiwork proposed within the confines of the HD. "Put that on Augusta Road, boys, not inside Savannah's old grid."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area