Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

So, I am an urban enthusiast and embarking on my exploration in more detail of sub 1 million metros now that I have spent extensive time and/or lived in all top 50 metros.

So, if you had a week in Savannah, how would you spend it? We are staying in a great Airbnb 2 blocks from Forsyth Park.

Any special events this week? Any must see museums, art galleries, and foodie places?

It has been years since I have been to Savannah. Also, is Tybee Island the best nearby beach (under 45 min drive?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:31 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
If you step on the gas you can make it to HH beaches.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:42 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Look online at the Thursday "Do" section of the Savannah Morning News. There you will find all the events for the week and beyond.
Tybee is a fine beach. No reason to travel further, but Hilton Head, like Pink said, is close enough to go to also.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Look online at the Thursday "Do" section of the Savannah Morning News. There you will find all the events for the week and beyond.
Tybee is a fine beach. No reason to travel further, but Hilton Head, like Pink said, is close enough to go to also.
anything else specific that is kid friendly? We are used to ethnic and fine dining in Louisville and everywhere else we travel. Suggestions? What are the two best museums and also best plantation snd civil war site?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:53 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
anything else specific that is kid friendly? We are used to ethnic and fine dining in Louisville and everywhere else we travel. Suggestions? What are the two best museums and also best plantation snd civil war site?
As a visitor I've enjoyed the following:

Wormsloe Plantation
Wormsloe Historic Site | Georgia State Parks

Telfair Museums
Telfair Museums » In the heart of Savannah's Historic District

Really there are no battle sites worth mentioning near Savannah. The fight in Georgia had pretty well played out by the time Sherman reached it, and the reception was rather calm.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You don't say how old the kids are, but to me, a fun day would be go to Tybee beach, stop at Ft. Pulaski for awhile and have lunch or dinner at Huc a poo's. Hucapoos is a dump which sells pizza, beer and nachos. The locals hang out there and every visitor we've taken there has enjoyed it. The food is good and despite the appearance, they get great scores on the health inspection. There are some nice gift shops in the same little plaza.
These 3 stops are within a few miles of each other.

Kids would also like The Pirates House. It is a historic old building and the food is good. They might even see a ghost or a pirate.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
The Coastal Heritage Society operates a number of very good historic sites in the Savannah area. I'm very fond of the Roundhouse RR Museum (downtown) and Old Fort Jackson (just east of downtown). They also operate the Pin Point African American Museum which I've not been to but I've heard is excellent.

I'm most partial to the Ships of the Sea Museum and the one-price admission to the three Telfair Museums.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:21 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The Coastal Heritage Society operates a number of very good historic sites in the Savannah area. I'm very fond of the Roundhouse RR Museum (downtown) and Old Fort Jackson (just east of downtown). They also operate the Pin Point African American Museum which I've not been to but I've heard is excellent.

I'm most partial to the Ships of the Sea Museum and the one-price admission to the three Telfair Museums.
This is something I've always wanted to do.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Forgot the link

Georgia State Railroad Museum

Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Forgot the Link

http://www.chsgeorgia.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area