Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

I believe this will be a positive for the community.
Savannah City Council to vote on Talmadge Bridge renaming resolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
How do you get to Hutch Island when they re-name the bridge??? Think about that after you had a couple of strong drinks.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I believe this will be a positive for the community.
Savannah City Council to vote on Talmadge Bridge renaming resolution
I so agree with that, although the Georgia state government has to approve it and there'll be lots of pushback in Atlanta. The Georgia pols killed it once before after the Talmadge family lobbied to protect the man's "legacy." 2017 is different, and we'll find out just how much.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Here is why the name of that bridge must be changed ...
Attached Thumbnails
Savannah City Council to vote on Talmadge Bridge renaming resolution-img_5602.jpg  

Old 09-30-2017, 05:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Here is why the name of that bridge must be changed ...

What I like about you NB is you make the process of decision making easy. You got my vote. Case closed.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
Quote:
The Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia are getting involved in the campaign to rename the Talmadge Bridge.

The organization is pushing for a new name to honor the founder of the Girl Scouts, Juliette Gordon Low.

In addition to launching an online petition, leaders from the Girl Scouts have been meeting with state and city leaders to make the idea a reality.

“For the 40,000 girls that visit Savannah annually, one of the very first things they see is that bridge,” said Amy Hughes, with Hughes Public Affairs, alongside Sue Else, CEO of Girls Scouts of Historic Georgia at a Savannah City Council meeting last week.

Hughes explained how impactful it would be for the bridge to be “a symbol of something that’s inclusive and welcoming, like the Girl Scouts.”
Girl Scouts advocate renaming Talmadge Bridge to honor founder | WSAV-TV

Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What I like about you NB is you make the process of decision making easy. You got my vote. Case closed.
Oh, hell to the yes.

I suggest naming it the Musgrove Bridge. Mary Musgrove was a remarkable woman and was instrumental in getting the new colony of Georgia established.

Mary Musgrove (ca. 1700-ca. 1763) | New Georgia Encyclopedia

Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
But will the tourons get even more confused when we refer to "The Low Bridge" when it's the tallest bridge in the county? Teasing them is kinda fun, so maybe it's a good idea to change the name just for that.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
But will the tourons get even more confused when we refer to "The Low Bridge" when it's the tallest bridge in the county? Teasing them is kinda fun, so maybe it's a good idea to change the name just for that.
I think Savannahians will call it the "Juliette Low Bridge", even informally. It's short (and "Low Bridge" sounds dumb.) The Girl Scouts might be the only ones who can successfully lobby the GA state government to put through the name change. That's the advantage here. It'll be quite difficult to oppose the change, and they have refused all efforts to rename the bridge before.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I think Savannahians will call it the "Juliette Low Bridge", even informally. It's short (and "Low Bridge" sounds dumb.) The Girl Scouts might be the only ones who can successfully lobby the GA state government to put through the name change. That's the advantage here. It'll be quite difficult to oppose the change, and they have refused all efforts to rename the bridge before.
I think the "Juliette Bridge" sounds rather pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: