Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times

Advertisements

Carrying a gun, with a permit, is all new to me. I come from a part of the country that this is...well, not possible. One of my closest friends now carries. All legal. He showed me the permit. He carries because of a shooting incident with a family member that was killed.

The gun handle sticks out of the pocket of his jeans and it's so weird for me. A couple of weeks ago he was late for a dinner at a downtown restaurant . When I asked what happen he said his car was parked three blocks away and needed to go back and get his permit for the gun. All true... I went with him to his car three blocks away.

Anybody having similar experiences??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 06:15 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
The way to get over your lib-fear is to go to a shooting range, like Patrick’s on 80, rent a gun and blast your way to comfortable.
It pretty fun, really.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:24 PM

450 posts, read 462,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The way to get over your lib-fear is to go to a shooting range, like Patrick’s on 80, rent a gun and blast your way to comfortable.
It pretty fun, really.
This is a good plan, you can rent everything. Start with a smaller caliber gun and work your way up. There are actually quite a few people with carry permits in the area. Some carry on their person ALL the time, others based on where they are going.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It pretty fun, really.

I am quite removed from "lib-fear" LOL. Born and raised on the streets of NYC, so that wasn't my point. My point was simply that it's just a bit "strange" having the sometime experience of my friend the gun-slinger walking down the street, and then the sentiments of the liberal north that I also live in.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:45 AM

I know what you mean.
All the males in my family are either hunters or military, and have guns, but nobody wears them around.
In a public place, how do we tell if someone wearing a gun is going to defend us or kill us?
But, I have always thought that stores that have a “no guns allowed “ signs on the window, might just as well say, “come on in and rob us, nobody will stop you”.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,932 times
Seriously, PC -- haven't you adjusted to all this by now? What you describe is very typical of Savannahians I know -- and most of the relatives who pick me up at Savannah-HH Airport when I visit the old homestead. Gun owners? 100%. Open carriers? not 100%, but fairly well represented.

In NYC, I have yet to meet a gun owner who wasn't a member of the NYPD. It's very, very hard to get a permit here otherwise. Much like iced tea: it's generally unsweetened north of Richmond, so New Yorkers traveling south will spit their sweet tea right in their cup after one gulp: "What the ---!" The complaints I've heard.

Welcome to the South, y'all!

Last edited by masonbauknight; 11-23-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Seriously, PC -- haven't you adjusted to all this by now? What you describe is very typical of Savannahians I know -- and most of the relatives who pick me up at Savannah-HH Airport when I visit the old homestead. Gun owners? 100%. Open carriers? not 100%, but fairly well represented.

In NYC, I have yet to meet a gun owner who wasn't a member of the NYPD. It's very, very hard to get a permit here otherwise. Much like iced tea: it's generally unsweetened north of Richmond, so New Yorkers traveling south will spit their sweet tea right in their cup after one gulp: "What the ---!" The complaints I've heard.

Welcome to the South, y'all!
Haha, what is with the sugar, you people?

Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 PM

91 posts, read 78,882 times
I know folks who carry in florida and in az, and I still think its odd and a bit unnecessary. Most of these folks are really good people but pretty frightened of everything even though they've never been a victim of any serious crime. I grew up shooting, still shoot, but never really felt I had to have it with me at all times. I've been in sticky, very sticky situations growing up in los angeles when I was much much younger and I still cant see how me having a gun then or now would've helped. If anything it wouldve added to the chaos and probably got me killed.

Dunno, but I do have a healthy fear of ill trained, panic proned, fearful people with loaded weapons.

Happy thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM

You know that feeling you get, if you realize that you have been driving without your seatbelt on? That, “oh my god, I could have been killed” feeling?

If I carried a gun, then I wouldn’t be able to be without it without feeling naked. I’d walk around with a feeling of impending disaster all the time.

Really, in how many instances would someone have the time to pull their gun, and shoot someone who pulled a gun on them? Hardly ever.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:26 AM

^^^^If the handle is sticking out the right hand pocket of his jeans, as my friend's was, he can get that out faster than the I -phone in the other pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area