Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 AM

41 posts, read 79,482 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone-

The Savannah area may be an area in our near future with job relo. We currently live up in North Georgia near Atlanta and are away from the hurricane threats. So quite frankly, not to crazy about dealing with those issues again, as we are originally from NJ and had our dealings with hurricanes. But work may not give me a choice. Then again, ATL traffic is a nightmare up here and extremely congested. So life is a bunch of trade offs.

What areas can anyone recommend that are flood free, near Ga Southern University, and developments with utilities underground? Looking for obviously good neighborhoods that are crime free (like anyone else), but where there would be possibly a nice downtown feel too and civilization?

Also, my wife would have to start looking for a job. Not familiar how the job market is in the area? We are in our early 50's and a professional couple.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAV85 View Post
Hello everyone-

The Savannah area may be an area in our near future with job relo. We currently live up in North Georgia near Atlanta and are away from the hurricane threats. So quite frankly, not to crazy about dealing with those issues again, as we are originally from NJ and had our dealings with hurricanes. But work may not give me a choice. Then again, ATL traffic is a nightmare up here and extremely congested. So life is a bunch of trade offs.

What areas can anyone recommend that are flood free, near Ga Southern University, and developments with utilities underground? Looking for obviously good neighborhoods that are crime free (like anyone else), but where there would be possibly a nice downtown feel too and civilization?

Also, my wife would have to start looking for a job. Not familiar how the job market is in the area? We are in our early 50's and a professional couple.

Thank you.
Budget & what Ga. Southern the campus on Abercorn or Statesboro?

Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 AM

Default Response to Bellhead

As far as budget, 375 - 400K

As far as what campus, good question. I do not know yet. Let's start with Statesboro

Old 09-20-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
As far as budget, 375 - 400K

As far as what campus, good question. I do not know yet. Let's start with Statesboro
In Statesboro no flooding, it's a town of about 40k including the students so housing options are limited. If Armstrong then you have a lot of choices is why I am asking. Statesboro is also an hour away from Savannah.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Default Statesboro

Just found out it is in fact Statesboro

Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Flood Free, your 60 miles from the coast so hurricanes are not huge threats...

underground utilities, you should be able to find that.

Crime is mostly property crime, with drug addicts breaking into your car...

Statesboro has a charming downtown of about a dozen stores & restaurants. About two blocks worth.

Civilization?

Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 PM

450 posts, read 462,573 times
Statesboro proper is about 13 sq. miles. There are a lot of subdivisions just outside the city in Bulloch county. Statesboro is safe as far as violent crimes. Be careful when looking at homes. They have some subdivisions that are single family homes divided into 4 bedrooms with communal living areas that are rented to college students. It is rather isolated and about 45 miles to Pooler and more to Savannah.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post

Flood Free, your 60 miles from the coast so hurricanes are not huge threats...

underground utilities, you should be able to find that.

Crime is mostly property crime, with drug addicts breaking into your car...

Statesboro has a charming downtown of about a dozen stores & restaurants. About two blocks worth.

Civilization?
Two blocks? Have you even been here? The area is growing rather exponentially. I could certainly see Bulloch County breaking 80,000 by the time the 2020 census arrives.

Housing is also plentiful here thanks to the student population. You have areas near and far from campus. Is the OP looking to rent or buy?

Old 09-22-2018, 03:16 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,653 times
Quote:
Just found out it is in fact Statesboro
Welcome to the Boro! You're going to like it here.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
I think Statesboro is a nice town as far as college towns go, but if I lived there I’d be coming to Savannah every weekend. Most people I know do. I also know a surprising number of people who commute between the two. It’s not as far-flung as some people make it out to be. Thousands of people in Metro Atlanta certainly commute longer and further.

If the OP wants to split the difference, there are plenty of nice areas in EFFINGHAM COUNTY that will put you within 30 minutes of both Statesboro and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area