Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
It seams like we are busting at the seams. I had to meet someone in the lobby at the DeSoto this morning at 11:30. Between check-ins and check- outs I was getting dizzy. Lol. The front entrance looked like a Hollywood set with camera equipment piled waist high. All day long one could hear the roar of the (race cars?). Staying away from downtown starting tonight.
I’m often impressed by the hustle in our many hotel valets. I enjoy watching them welcome guests, hurriedly unload bags and direct / park cars on busy Friday afternoons when all the hotels have traffic backed up into the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 03:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My daughter and I were going to park downtown, have a nice dinner and go to the Lucas, but noooo. Now, we’ll dine in Pooler, get dropped off and picked up. Too bad, because I would have enjoyed spending time downtown.
When I was a young man about to buy my first house in NY I "looked" in the suburbs. What I heard from people that moved to the burbs and about going into the city for dining and entertainment were two different stories. They always had an excuse to stay near home and not take advantage of all that NYC has to offer. Basically, they lost all of the culture and became very different people. I never bought in the suburbs.

The first time I ever bought in the suburbs was in my business career in multiple states. Personal houses never. So, I needed to learn over the years how to invest in a life style of my buyer that is vastly different than my personal lifestyle. I get it. Then again I have done this for a lot of years.

On a personal note of opinion, it's not good to get TOO comfortable with those things that are just around the corner. It 's boring. But, I understand..

Old 10-26-2018, 05:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why can’t you still spend time downtown? If by “get a ride” you mean Uber or Lyft, just come down mid-afternoon, walk the streets and squares, enjoy the crowds and excitement, you can make a reservation (or just find a place to eat ... there’s plenty of options), attend your event at the Lucas and then return home before too late.

Downtown Savannah is at its best when the streets are jam-packed.
Yes, we could, except I left out the part about having a recent knee replacement. Too bad, because what you describe would be fun.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, we could, except I left out the part about having a recent knee replacement. Too bad, because what you describe would be fun.
Well that would make a difference. What are you planning to see at the Lucas?

Old 10-26-2018, 01:27 PM

The premier of the fourth season of Outlander, with some of the actors.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM

509 posts, read 433,618 times
Looking forward to coming back to my hometown Savannah November 9 - 12 for my high school's (Savannah Arts Academy) first alumni day picnic! Class of 01! I try to get down there once every year, but this will be the first time in a couple of years for me. Staying with my grandmother who moved downtown next to Whitefield Square earlier this year and will definitely be trying a few places I have not been to yet (Two Tides Brewing, Local 11 Ten, El Coyote, and Atlantic Neighborhood Eatery I am looking at you). Any other things happening that weekend or cool new bars/restaurants I should check out? Looking forward to all the changes since my last visit

Old 10-29-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The premier of the fourth season of Outlander, with some of the actors.
All the main actors were there.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...f06e1f373.jpeg

Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 PM

450 posts, read 462,141 times
Spent Saturday afternoon on River St and around downtown. Had a great time, parking wasn't as bad as I was anticipating, first garage was full, went to Lincoln Street and went right in. The art festival was unimpressive and food was good (Dockside was awesome) and there were a lot of people all over down town.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:36 PM

I counted at least 5 different film shoots in downtown Savannah tonight — Williamson Street, Factors Walk, Jones Street, Johnson Square, Abercorn somewhere in the 30s. It was crazy.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I counted at least 5 different film shoots in downtown Savannah tonight — Williamson Street, Factors Walk, Jones Street, Johnson Square, Abercorn somewhere in the 30s. It was crazy.
The city couldn't be a better film backdrop. When I saw Glory, the terrific 1989 movie about a black regiment in the Civil War South, then read that its 19th-century Boston (and Darien, GA) street scenes were filmed in Savannah, I flipped. I knew much more was possible. Plus, the natural setting in and around Savannah is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area