Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 PM

88 posts, read 79,602 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We've set our sights on the Low Country area as our next stop in life. Husband is an early, young retiree (law) and I can WFH (education and tech) so we're ready to hightail it out of New York City. (Background info: we're both native Floridians and have lived in lots of places, so we understand the heat.) We don't need glitz and glamour, would like a luxury 5-star (if there is such a thing) upscale apartment complex for the next year (outside the city/preferably with lower density) to ride out the "Second Wave" which we expect will slam the east coast in December and last until the Spring. If this working from home gig works out, we'd then look at buying for the long term.

For now, we've narrowed down our choices to
1. Wilmington Island, just east of downtown.
2. Georgetown area, sort of southwest of the city.
3. Pooler, which as I recall, seems to have sprung up overnight... and...
4. Bluffton (including Hilton Head Is.) AND WE WOULD REALLY LIKE YOUR OPINIONS AND ADVICE.

Since I work from home, we want a quiet place as I'm on the telephone or Zooming all day long. As having noisy neighbors would be problematic, we want to steer clear of student housing areas but otherwise pretty open.

The only other serious deal-breaker would a poor internet connection. You've probably seen those teleconference calls where the audio cuts out or the picture freezes. Annoying and can be a real problem in business so any advice here would be especially helpful.

We also put an emphasis on low crime rate. Over the last two months, the shootings in NYC have skyrocketed. First the pandemic. Then the anti-police movement has led to hundreds of NYPD officers leaving the city, so lawlessness is on the rise. After 20,000+ city residents died from Covid, hundreds more have been killed in shootings. Who needs it! Especially sad as "my" NYC may never make a comeback.

Lastly, do you think most metro Savannah residents consider Bluffton as part of the metro area across the river or is that seen as another entity altogether?

Savannah seems to be doing a lot of great things to expand its economy and attract the WFH community, of which there are thousands of us!

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 06:41 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
A few thoughts...
No, we do not think of Bluffton and Hilton Head as part of the same entity as Savannah. As the crow flies, it’s close, but with the actual traffic in SC, it’s a haul between the two places. We take occasional day trips between HH and Savannah, but it’s not a weekly thing.

There are many lovely luxury apartments in Savannah historic district, but it is probably the least safe place of those you mention. Compared to New York, though, it’s fine. If you want safe and quiet, you might like Pooler, but it is anytown USA, and not very Savannah-ish. Savannah Quarters is the upscale area in Pooler. One advantage of Pooler is it is self governed and not part of savannah politics.
I’m not very familiar with Wilmington island or Georgetown, but I think they are quite safe also.
You might want to check out The Landings on Skidaway Island.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM

13,411 posts, read 28,777,502 times
Wilmington Island is great, close to downtown but with it's own island vibe. I live here and as far as I know you will not find a 5 star luxury apt. You need downtown for that or as gentle hearts mentioned Savannah Quarters in Pooler.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:44 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
This place looks good. It’s new and well located.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4-29433#photo0

Old 07-08-2020, 10:45 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,282,284 times
Pooler is mostly strip malls and tract housing but would be good for shopping at generic chain stores. In town Savannah is beautiful but has violent crime in the areas around the historic district. Islands are very nice and fairly close to town but expensive and in flood zone.

Beaufort is not too far it's only like 30 to 45 minutes, like to Bluffton. And Beaufort and Hilton Head are definitely more upscale than Pooler or Georgetown. They will have 5 star places. The only comparison in feel is the islands here but as mentioned I don't think they have as many upscale places to live. Except the Landings as noted above. The Landings is about as upscale as it gets in the low country.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:07 PM

Wow! Some great advice! Thank you all for getting us started!
NJKate! We're nearly neighbors! I googled apartments on Wilmington Island and a few came up that looked okay to nice. From the pictures, I did like the vibe, even if not ideal. We're trying not to be too rigid and high maint. And frankly, I remember 2 of the complexes that had everything we could need.

Gentlearts, you've been very helpful, thank you for the notes. The Baxley looks close to what we were thinking. How nice to have a heated pool first thing in the morning to get a few laps in without schlepping over to a Country Club, etc. Even though there are only two of us, we are looking for a 3 bedroom; one for an office and one for broadcasting (ie, Zooming.) Plus, hubby is a "prepper" and will undoubtedly be stocking up for the supposed 2nd wave so we'll need some closet space.

And Savannah Life (winner of the best handle award ever!) you nailed it in every description. Reminds me of the old saying "You can have anything you want in this world; you just can't have everything." Well every locale seems appealing and still don't know which way to go.

Years ago lived in downtown Charleston (South of Broad) and it was lovely and luxe and so very safe at the time. We were transferred out a week before Hugo hit. As much as we'd love to do downtown Savannah on a square (like who wouldn't, right?) we're craving more open spaces after having been cooped up in a Manhattan apartment since March. One block from Central Park but still very cabin fever-ish.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks to all. To anyone reading this, I hope you'll chime in! Best!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,620,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
Wow! Some great advice! Thank you all for getting us started!
NJKate! We're nearly neighbors! I googled apartments on Wilmington Island and a few came up that looked okay to nice. From the pictures, I did like the vibe, even if not ideal. We're trying not to be too rigid and high maint. And frankly, I remember 2 of the complexes that had everything we could need.

Gentlearts, you've been very helpful, thank you for the notes. The Baxley looks close to what we were thinking. How nice to have a heated pool first thing in the morning to get a few laps in without schlepping over to a Country Club, etc. Even though there are only two of us, we are looking for a 3 bedroom; one for an office and one for broadcasting (ie, Zooming.) Plus, hubby is a "prepper" and will undoubtedly be stocking up for the supposed 2nd wave so we'll need some closet space.

And Savannah Life (winner of the best handle award ever!) you nailed it in every description. Reminds me of the old saying "You can have anything you want in this world; you just can't have everything." Well every locale seems appealing and still don't know which way to go.

Years ago lived in downtown Charleston (South of Broad) and it was lovely and luxe and so very safe at the time. We were transferred out a week before Hugo hit. As much as we'd love to do downtown Savannah on a square (like who wouldn't, right?) we're craving more open spaces after having been cooped up in a Manhattan apartment since March. One block from Central Park but still very cabin fever-ish.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks to all. To anyone reading this, I hope you'll chime in! Best!
Skidaway island is exactly what you are looking for. You might have to rent a house vs. apartment but it's everything you want. Check out the landings.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Skidaway island is exactly what you are looking for. You might have to rent a house vs. apartment but it's everything you want. Check out the landings.
Hi Bellhead,
Skidaway Island seems to be a growing consensus. It has never before been on my radar so I'm intrigued. A quick google search of the Landings and I'm not sure they welcome renters or allow rentals but I'll check it out. I wonder if they have a community pool and tennis courts or is that up to the individual homeowner. Not relishing the time spent on pool maint. But I'll check out the possibilities and welcome the advice. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,620,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
Hi Bellhead,
Skidaway Island seems to be a growing consensus. It has never before been on my radar so I'm intrigued. A quick google search of the Landings and I'm not sure they welcome renters or allow rentals but I'll check it out. I wonder if they have a community pool and tennis courts or is that up to the individual homeowner. Not relishing the time spent on pool maint. But I'll check out the possibilities and welcome the advice. Thanks.
I rented a house there for 6 months, so they allow rentals, also some realtors have pocket furnished homes for rent kinda like a airbnb on the downlow for families who need a place for a week or two in a nice place.

There are 6 golf courses, 80 some miles of hiking & biking trails, several pools, great views almost everyone, it's extremely pretty. Chatham county no city of Savannah property tax. Gated 24x7, it's very secure & your out of the city a few miles so very low crime.

I almost bought a house there 2 years ago before I took a promotion & ended up in Atlanta, I still might buy a 2nd home there for the golf & marina. I'm a pretty avid golfer & am working remotely 90% of the time being able to play golf all the time is appealing.

The cons,

it's a country club environment & expensive where you have a minimum HOA fee of $1800 a year, which as a renter you don't have to pay, but to use all the pools & facilities you have to be a member. If you want the high end country club environment with great golf & facilities then it's a great place.

Here is link to the members dues.

https://www.landingsclub.com/documen...+FINAL+PDF.pdf

Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I rented a house there for 6 months, so they allow rentals, also some realtors have pocket furnished homes for rent kinda like a airbnb on the downlow for families who need a place for a week or two in a nice place.

There are 6 golf courses, 80 some miles of hiking & biking trails, several pools, great views almost everyone, it's extremely pretty. Chatham county no city of Savannah property tax. Gated 24x7, it's very secure & your out of the city a few miles so very low crime.

I almost bought a house there 2 years ago before I took a promotion & ended up in Atlanta, I still might buy a 2nd home there for the golf & marina. I'm a pretty avid golfer & am working remotely 90% of the time being able to play golf all the time is appealing.

The cons,

it's a country club environment & expensive where you have a minimum HOA fee of $1800 a year, which as a renter you don't have to pay, but to use all the pools & facilities you have to be a member. If you want the high end country club environment with great golf & facilities then it's a great place.

Here is link to the members dues.

https://www.landingsclub.com/documen...+FINAL+PDF.pdf
Hello! Great information!
I love all of the bike trails you speak of and by contrast, when I look at Google satellite maps, Pooler has very few which as a new community, I find surprising and disappointing. Hoping the satellite maps are outdated and trails have been built since image was taken. Not a big fan of being trapped in a car culture with no options. It all evens out. I noticed the Landings has a Part-time resident membership which, since we'll keep the NYC house, might work for us. Really pretty. I could imagine a lifestyle that is tranquil and outdoorsy. Can't wait!

Also, thank you everyone for the eye-opener on Savannah Quarters. I was so surprised when I narrowed in on the development last night. I never knew! Plus, it's all new and clean and there's a Publix (yahoo!) Again, a real contender! The choices are expanding and I thought this process would narrow things down. Looks like a road trip is in the works. Probably the best.

Thank you, everyone! I bet you all wish things would stop growing and we'd all stay away. ha! Like getting off of Hilton Head Island on a Sunday afternoon, the roads and sub-urban sprawl is getting out of hand? I've been in some cities where there is just too much traffic on too few roads. Just came back from my run through Central Park, Tropical Storm Fay is closing in on the city. A few rain drops started falling as I approached our building. Did SAV get hit by the storm? As I recall, with or without a tropical storm, your area gets a heavy rain just about every day in the summer, doesn't it? OK, thanks for stopping in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area