Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 12:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,530,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Everything old is new again? They closed the Tybee Railroad in 1933.
I saw that
And that is so funny to me- old things becoming new
However it would need to be elevated
Now the toll sounds like a pretty good idea- maybe a turn around ramp too
That or aggravate natives by urbanizing the barrier islands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 01:45 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,632 times
Projections for growth in the Savannah/Bluffton metro are in question. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 1 Million+ by 2035 in the combined Chatham/Beaufort/Jasper/Effingham/Bryan/Liberty counties. Google Bard says it'll take until closer to 2050, but I dunno.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:00 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Quote:
Projections for growth in the Savannah/Bluffton metro are in question. I wouldn't be surprised if we are 1 Million+ by 2035 in the combined Chatham/Beaufort/Jasper/Effingham/Bryan/Liberty counties. Google Bard says it'll take until closer to 2050, but I dunno.
Yeah anything could happen
Atlanta boomed around the 70s and look at it now
Thats about 20-30 yrs
The world is more connected and advanced now- so only time will tell at this point

Old 05-07-2023, 01:15 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
If you include Jasper and Beaufort counties in South Carolina, then yes, for sure. A million isn’t all that far away at this point as the population is nearly 800k and that’s not including Long county, which is included with Hinesville’s micropolitan area.

2022 county estimates
Chatham: 301,107
Beaufort: 192,093
Bulloch: 83,059
Effingham: 69,041
Liberty: 68,030
Bryan: 48,225
Jasper: 32,039
(Long: 18,348)
Total: 793,594 (Long included: 811,942)

Every single one of these counties has been undergoing healthy or even rapid growth and will continue to do so. Bulloch’s population, for example, is expected to top 100k by 2030.
Long county is experiencing spillover growth from Liberty and will continue to suburbanize especially closer to the county line and in Ludowici.
We all know about Hyundai coming to northern Bryan county so that’s a no brainer. Same goes for Effingham.
Chatham is the centerpiece. It would likely remain top 5 county in the state until Forsyth, Cherokee and/or Henry overtake it with their rapid growth up there.
Jasper will continue to get spillover growth from Beaufort which is becoming built out.

Getting back to the OP, the growth patterns around the region will keep Tybee, Savannah’s only beach, packed increasingly year round. Bringing back the train would be great since GDOT refuses to widen 80 out there. Building of a parking garage would also help with that issue. Yes, a toll would also help… AND bring in revenue for the eventual widening of 80. Why can’t our leaders come up with these simple solutions?

Last edited by WanderingImport; 05-07-2023 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-07-2023, 12:23 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
If you include Jasper and Beaufort counties in South Carolina, then yes, for sure. A million isn’t all that far away at this point as the population is nearly 800k and that’s not including Long county, which is included with Hinesville’s micropolitan area.

2022 county estimates
Chatham: 301,107
Beaufort: 192,093
Bulloch: 83,059
Effingham: 69,041
Liberty: 68,030
Bryan: 48,225
Jasper: 32,039
(Long: 18,348)
Total: 793,594 (Long included: 811,942)

We all know about Hyundai coming to northern Bryan county so that’s

Getting back to the OP, the growth patterns around the region will keep Tybee, Savannah’s only beach, packed increasingly year round. Bringing back the train would be great since GDOT refuses to widen 80 out there. Building of a parking garage would also help with that issue. Yes, a toll would also help… AND bring in revenue for the eventual widening of 80. Why can’t our leaders come up with these simple solutions?
I worry about Tybee's future. It'll get even more congested, as it will remain the only beach in town. Solutions are limited. I did learn that private boat visits to Ossabaw and St Catherines islands are tolerated by the state if visitors remain on the beach.

Thanks for the stats. It's amazing that all these population gains are PRIOR to the opening of the auto plant and allied industries outside Savannah in 2024. Already in 2010-2020, Savannah's 3-county metro area gained more residents than Augusta's much more populous metro of 7 counties. The OMB's revised definitions of GA metro areas, due in June/July, might be interesting. With the next definition, by 2033, the Savannah MSA will be redefined and become GeorgIa's second largest. A merger of coastal MSAs just seems inevitable at this point.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:26 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I've visited a lot of east coast beaches, and Tybee actually wasn't one my favorites for various reasons, so I'm surprised it's so popular. Maybe it's a matter of other beaches being even more crowded and there not being many other places to go.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've visited a lot of east coast beaches, and Tybee actually wasn't one my favorites for various reasons, so I'm surprised it's so popular. Maybe it's a matter of other beaches being even more crowded and there not being many other places to go.
Honestly, it’s absolutely nothing to write home about. I’m a local and I rarely go out there myself, but as Savannah gains popularity and population, Tybee will be that only close beach around. Hilton Head, the nearest secondary beach, is between 45 minutes to an hour from most of the Savannah area and takes mostly two laned congested roads to get there as well. SCDOT is worse than GDOT with their infrastructure.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:53 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Honestly, it’s absolutely nothing to write home about. I’m a local and I rarely go out there myself, but as Savannah gains popularity and population, Tybee will be that only close beach around. Hilton Head, the nearest secondary beach, is between 45 minutes to an hour from most of the Savannah area and takes mostly two laned congested roads to get there as well. SCDOT is worse than GDOT with their infrastructure.
My favorite beach in Georgia is St. Simons, but that is about an hour and a half from Savannah. I agree about the infrastructure in SC. Soon as you get to the other side of the Savannah River on Hwy 17 crossing the Talmadge Bridge there's potholes and buckles everywhere.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
My favorite beach in Georgia is St. Simons, but that is about an hour and a half from Savannah. I agree about the infrastructure in SC. Soon as you get to the other side of the Savannah River on Hwy 17 crossing the Talmadge Bridge there's potholes and buckles everywhere.
They’re FINALLY widening their portion of US 17 on the SC side. It’s been needed for decades now. I think it’ll be done (they’re saying) by 2025 or 2026. We’ll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area