Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 71,484 times

Advertisements

ok so its been awhile , but last time I wrote I asked for advice on where to llok as we are being relocated with Gulfstram to the Savannah area. Everyone was great giving us ideas on where to look and what to stay away from... NOW......

Does anyone know anything about Rincon? We really liked it there, or what we saw. The school seemed good and very helpful and friendly ( as we meet with them , middle and high school ) and I have done all kinds of reserch on the web, but I would like someone from there to tell me about the area, we saw it was going to be growing ( how could we NOT see that as there was construction all over ) but we are having a hard time finding an apartment to rent, we have an apartment guide but it only list one apartment complex and although it has nice features I would like a choice if pssible. We have figured out we REALLY want Effingham schools , the town does not matter but the school does, and in our 3 week check, it seems to have the best school system within a decent drive of my husbands work....so any info would be great about renting, and school and Rincon in general... TAHNKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM

726 posts, read 3,602,197 times
Poor planning. Too many subdivisions dumping traffic on to narrow roads. Every one heading to Savannah for work, shopping, hospitals, booze, dining, a life. No solutions for years.
Methingham has traffic problems with Fantasy solutions.
Highest taxes and impact fees in the area.
Schools are ok, if your kids are bright Chatham offers better advanced options
Forums | SavannahNow.com
Effingham homes sales show 52 percent drop | SavannahNow.com
Petition Against Industrial Park Entering Your Backyard*-*Online Petition
http://savannahnow.com/node/420498
Is Chatham's help needed for Effingham Parkway? (Archives)
http://www.savannahnow.com/node/356031
City makes acre at sprayfield surplus
http://savannahnow.com/node/357730

http://savannahnow.com/node/181405

Forums | SavannahNow.com

Old 05-31-2008, 09:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Another thing you might want to check on, if you haven't already, is whether or not the Effingham high schools participate in the Advanced placement with Armstrong State University in Savannah. The High School seniors (and some juniors) that qualifiy are allowed to take their senior year in high school at Armstrong as college freshmen. They graduate with their class and can participate in any high school activity that they want to while they earn college credits. This is an excellent program. I know it is used with the Advanced Placement students in the Magnet programs at Jenkins High, and I think also at most of the other ones.

Just to brag a bit....my grandson did this and with being exempted from other first year college classes (smart kid, just like his grandma LOL) managed to enter college with all of his first two years almost completed. This allowed him to take extra courses that interested him and still finish up in less than the usual four years.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Another thing you might want to check on, if you haven't already, is whether or not the Effingham high schools participate in the Advanced placement with Armstrong State University in Savannah. The High School seniors (and some juniors) that qualifiy are allowed to take their senior year in high school at Armstrong as college freshmen. They graduate with their class and can participate in any high school activity that they want to while they earn college credits. This is an excellent program. I know it is used with the Advanced Placement students in the Magnet programs at Jenkins High, and I think also at most of the other ones.

Just to brag a bit....my grandson did this and with being exempted from other first year college classes (smart kid, just like his grandma LOL) managed to enter college with all of his first two years almost completed. This allowed him to take extra courses that interested him and still finish up in less than the usual four years.
Jenkins (http://lopatta.us/school/index.htm - broken link) and Savannah Arts (http://www.sccpss.com/Schools/High+Schools/Savannah+Arts+Academy/Academics/Advanced+Placement+Courses.htm - broken link)offer many Advanced Placement classes in the schools, also.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 PM

thanks for the help. It is very confusing as an outsider trying to decide what school is better. We really liked the Rincon area, traffic did not seem bad to us , but we found more apartments in Pooler that we liked and affordable ( 750-1000$ ) . But we where told the schools where 85-95% african american, while we are not in anyway prejuduce, I did not want our daughter to have total shock her first year there. The school she comes from is about 25% african american and 25% mexican and 50% white .The internet confirms this figure also, is it not so true then? She is a bright student and what you are telling me about the collage freshman thing sounds great......i will look into that.
It really is hard to decide. But it helps to have this web site.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
I believe the overall average for all the schools is about 70% AA to 30% other. However, some of the high schools are more like 90% and others are a lot less. It just depends on the school district. Keep in mind that this entire area may have many more blacks in all walks of life, not just school, than you are used to back home. We also have a large Hispanic of all types, and Asian groups.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks Padgett2, yea we too have alot of Hispanics and Asian groups. We are so close to Chicago, that city brings in all kinds and farm work is plentifull here so easy for them to work.
We may just have to do whatever we can and just see how it goes, I just know from growing up in Union county GA how kids treated outsiders and her being from the North with a funny accent she will have a harder time. My best friend moved to Union Co from the North and it was tuff for her at first, as a mom I am trying to avoid too much of that, but we all know kids are kids and life happens, I think we will just have to enroll her and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help. I really do check all the info you send. I even check out others blogs too and see you respond to so many and at times I take what you send them and check it out. After we move there I would like to keep up with this and help someone else out. I am sure I will have time while I am job hunting....

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Taking averages and thinking that is the whole picture is dangerous and is used frequently to distort the image of the city. Chatham is very diverse and has many Damnyankees. F'ingham is more rural, and the area of choice for those that are fleeing diversity under the excuse of "Better Schools". I live 2 miles from South Effingham Elementary and relatives that live overthere offered to fix it so that could have sent the children there so that they wouldn't be in the "-----"schools. Yankees would find the home of the "Rebels" more like Union County.
As my Gandfather's sister said to me, " It wasn't so bad that your Grandfather went off and Married that damnyankeewoman, but did he have to bring her back here to live in front of God and everybody?"

Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 PM

geez bgnzsavhn, isnt the point of this blog so you can find out info where you are moving. I am not moving there to couse an uproar becouse I have lived in the North for 16 years. Personally I could care less where people are from, we all have somthing to give in life and we all have a god to belive in.
With that said I do find it intresting and already figured that it was this way....that people try to "fix it " so others can go to the school in a certian district...we too have that. Where I live at people try to go to Bridgman school becouse it is soposed to be the best, but my kids graduated from River Valley which is soposed to be full of dirtbags and low lifes, well you are what you are I guess and if you raise your kids that way they could go to any school and it would not matter.As it turned out my kids are all good and went on to lead good productive lives, now we have one kid left at home, and of couse we want her to go to a good school, but we also want it to be one she is happy with and will accept an outsider.
, I think we have it all figured out though, as I said we have been there and visited and we have friends who have lived there for 20-25 years ( sorry they are from the North too ) and they helped us too. thanks for all the help.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM

236 posts, read 698,370 times
The commute isn't so bad if you time the drive right. The schools are 'top-notch' for the area. They have grocery stores and decent, albeit expensive housing. You can go to Wal Mart at night and not be too concerned about getting shot.

That's all I can say objectively because I feel like Rincon and most of Effingham County is a total piece of crap. The taxes are ridiculous. The only road in to Savannah stays busy. It smells like the Georgia Pacific paper mill on Fort Howard road.

I would recommend crossing the line to Bulloch County (Statesboro, Brooklet). The taxes are considerably cheaper. Land is more affordable. The Southeast Bulloch school system is excellent and there's a 4 year university that your kids can go to later. I've lived in Statesboro and Savannah. Twice I've nearly made the mistake of moving to Effingham and thank my lucky stars that I never did. I work over there pretty regularly so I'm not spouting this from the county line.

I'd steer clear...

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area