Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 09:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptwnRsdnt View Post
Sadly, private school enrollment exploded when public schools were desegregated in the 60s.
That's a bit off. SCCPS were first desegregated in 1965, when you attended your neighborhood school regardless of race. But neighborhood desegregation meant that there'd be just 30 black or 30 white students (max) in any one school. The NAACP sued the school board in 1970, and early 1970s court orders ushered in some of the most radical busing plans in the country: a racial balance in each school and, to achieve that, cross-county busing far from where students lived. Many private schools date from 1972-1977. Before that, there were just a handful of private schools (essentially Catholic except for Country Day). The SCCPS grading system was "reformed" to remedy academic inequality, and today standards are lowered enough that newcomers to Chatham County are warned to avoid public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
That's a bit off. SCCPS were first desegregated in 1965, when you attended your neighborhood school regardless of race. But neighborhood desegregation meant that there'd be just 30 black or 30 white students (max) in any one school. The NAACP sued the school board in 1970, and early 1970s court orders ushered in some of the most radical busing plans in the country: a racial balance in each school and, to achieve that, cross-county busing far from where students lived. Many private schools date from 1972-1977. Before that, there were just a handful of private schools (essentially Catholic except for Country Day). The SCCPS grading system was "reformed" to remedy academic inequality, and today standards are lowered enough that newcomers to Chatham County are warned to avoid public schools.

"Neighborhood desegregation" should read "neighborhood segregation." Savannah-Chatham was even more segregated by neighborhood in 1970 than it is today.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:46 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
I also attended SCCPS from K-12, have an advanced degree, and have done quite well (as well as my siblings and many classmates). The negative comments about SCCPS need a little more nuance. There are some good schools in the district, while others need improvement. Savannah Arts Academy (I know you asked about Pooler) is one of the top high schools in the state. Sadly, private school enrollment exploded when public schools were desegregated in the 60s. The blanket negative statements about SCCPS unfortunately perpetuates the legacy of segregation and inequality.
The wait list for next year at Savannah Arts is full for next year. It’s a lottery, not a choice.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:38 AM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
Quote:
True about busing, but that was a nationwide pattern after a 1971 Supreme Court decision. This contributed to white flight to the suburbs, and white parents sending their kids to private/parochial schools. I went through it myself in elementary and middle school. At that time, those schools were 95% black due to the fact that so many white parents opted to send their kids to private schools following desegregation. Therefore it was impossible to balance out the schools racially. Only my high school was a bit more diverse.

I am not sure what schools you are referring to, but the non-Catholic schools I'm familiar with were around before 1972... Hancock (1950s), Memorial (1971), Calvary (1961), Savannah Christian (1951), Savannah Country Day (1905). Regardless of whether they existed before or after the 70s, the fact is that private/parochial school enrollment exploded following desegregation.

All of that being said, I do think demographics of Savannah are quickly changing with all of the new transplants. As more open minded folks move to town, I'm hopeful the city becomes more and more integrated, both in its neighborhoods and schools. I do encourage the OP to also take a look for themselves, because the knee jerk reaction (for decades) of many Savannah area residents is to make disparaging remarks about the public schools.

Also gentlearts, from the Savannah Arts website:

Will there be a lottery for Savannah Arts Academy applicants after they audition?

No, applicants for the Savannah Arts Academy Choice Program do not participate in a lottery , rather students audition and are ranked in each Arts area. Students are admitted to the school based on the number of slots available in each Arts major and their arts audition score.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
True about busing, but that was a nationwide pattern after a 1971 Supreme Court decision. This contributed to white flight to the suburbs, and white parents sending their kids to private/parochial schools. I went through it myself in elementary and middle school. At that time, those schools were 95% black due to the fact that so many white parents opted to send their kids to private schools following desegregation. Therefore it was impossible to balance out the schools racially. Only my high school was a bit more diverse.

I am not sure what schools you are referring to, but the non-Catholic schools I'm familiar with were around before 1972... Hancock (1950s), Memorial (1971), Calvary (1961), Savannah Christian (1951), Savannah Country Day (1905). Regardless of whether they existed before or after the 70s, the fact is that private/parochial school enrollment exploded following desegregation.

All of that being said, I do think demographics of Savannah are quickly changing with all of the new transplants. As more open minded folks move to town, I'm hopeful the city becomes more and more integrated, both in its neighborhoods and schools. I do encourage the OP to also take a look for themselves, because the knee jerk reaction (for decades) of many Savannah area residents is to make disparaging remarks about the public schools.

Also gentlearts, from the Savannah Arts website:

Will there be a lottery for Savannah Arts Academy applicants after they audition?

No, applicants for the Savannah Arts Academy Choice Program do not participate in a lottery , rather students audition and are ranked in each Arts area. Students are admitted to the school based on the number of slots available in each Arts major and their arts audition score.
You are right. I was thinking of Savannah Classical Academy.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Hancock and Calvary were very small places -- and these schools either had no hgh school section or a very tiny one in the 1960s. Most all affluent Savannah families sent their children to public schools. I sat next to them in class. Yes, local private schools like Savannah Christian ballooned their enrollments right after the court orders of 1970 and 1971, among the most extreme busing/student reassignment plans anywhere. The damage of it all endures to this day: Most public schools are no longer 55% white, 45% minority but often 15% to 20% white. Savannah-Chatham has more private schools, with larger enrollments, than most any city its size. Some 50 (!) years after busing, educated white residents have all but abandoned the SCCPS. And Savannah Arts Academy is small: half the student body of my old Savannah high school, and very hard to get into. It is the only high school at anywhere near the academic level of Savannah's old public high schools. I am far more pessimistic than you overall. Going forward, I really hope you are right.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:53 PM

64 posts, read 68,382 times
Quote:
Hancock and Calvary were very small places -- and these schools either had no hgh school section or a very tiny one in the 1960s. Most all affluent Savannah families sent their children to public schools. I sat next to them in class. Yes, local private schools like Savannah Christian ballooned their enrollments right after the court orders of 1970 and 1971, among the most extreme busing/student reassignment plans anywhere. The damage of it all endures to this day: Most public schools are no longer 55% white, 45% minority but often 15% to 20% white. Savannah-Chatham has more private schools, with larger enrollments, than most any city its size. Some 50 (!) years after busing, educated white residents have all but abandoned the SCCPS. And Savannah Arts Academy is small: half the student body of my old Savannah high school, and very hard to get into. It is the only high school at anywhere near the academic level of Savannah's old public high schools. I am far more pessimistic than you overall. Going forward, I really hope you are right.
We could be in the weeds all day about this

While this is anecdotal, I will say that many of my peers (of all races) who attended SCCPS from K-12 have done quite well, and no worse (in some cases better) than friends who attended Savannah Country Day School, which is probable one of the most expensive schools in the city.

But my main focus was that 1) these blanket statements just don't accurately reflect everyone's experience with SCCPS, and 2) the ugly side of white flight (underpinned by racism), not the failed policy of busing that only accelerated it.

You can't legislate people's hearts and minds (example: failed busing policies), but things are slowly changing and folks will come around. Even the suburbs where whites fled to that are the topic of this thread have become more multicultural. I just hope the stigma around SCCPS will slowly dissipate especially as newcomers without the baggage of the past settle here, and one day I won't continue hearing the same self perpetuating tale.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:

While this is anecdotal, I will say that many of my peers (of all races) who attended SCCPS from K-12 have done quite well, and no worse (in some cases better) than friends who attended Savannah Country Day School, which is probable one of the most expensive schools in the city.

But my main focus was that 1) these blanket statements just don't accurately reflect everyone's experience with SCCPS, and 2) the ugly side of white flight (underpinned by racism), not the failed policy of busing that only accelerated it.

You can't legislate people's hearts and minds (example: failed busing policies), but things are slowly changing and folks will come around. Even the suburbs where whites fled to that are the topic of this thread have become more multicultural. I just hope the stigma around SCCPS will slowly dissipate especially as newcomers without the baggage of the past settle here, and one day I won't continue hearing the same self perpetuating tale.
I have similar (anecdotal) experiences, discovering that so-and-so from Country Day or Benedictine was admitted to the same universities that an SCCPS student, educated for free, was. It happened all the time in the 1960s/early 1970s, and still happens now. There are good students and good teachers in SCCPS, as the posters above attest. They have done well. Savannah's newest residents -- the city is booming this decade -- might shake up the SCCPS landscape in regular schools, but these parents have to enroll their kids there. Up to now, too many middle-class parents have been opting for private schools or home schooling.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:23 PM

So now I see that the school board has asked for more money, and of course they automatically get it. Obviously, throwing money at it isn’t the solution. God help the new superintendent. I hope she can do some good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area