Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Savannah, I am considering the neighborhoods around E Gwinnett St. and W Gwinnett. Are these areas safe. I would appreciate any additional information you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Depends on how far east or west. Gwinnett is not the best of streets farther east than the 200's or west over 300. In other words, it's okay from Lincoln St. to Tatnall or Montgomery, more or less. There are a couple of places next to the Kroger that are probably okay too, for a student.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,049 times
Default Is the Area areound East Gwinette safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
I am planning on moving to Savannah, I am considering the neighborhoods around E Gwinnett St. and W Gwinnett. Are these areas safe. I would appreciate any additional information you can give me.

Goodness. Your question about whether the East and West Gwinette Street areas are safe is a bit of a bugger. It depends on many things. First I should say that metro Savannah occupies so little space that you can ride from one side to another on a bicycle in about 45 minutes going East to West. And that area is filled with many neighborhoods and many differences. West Savannah has merit in the fact that there are still some very old houses there that need much TLC and the neighborhood is 'Yuppie-fying' because of that. But there is a lot of poverty and violence on the West Side and most of the houses are very small.

The East Side used to be mill housing. Although there are a few streets that have bungalow sorts of houses, mostly the houses are small and utilitarian. Like West Side the population is mostly African American. It is a well established neighborhood and there is much pride here. Unfortunately, like West Side there is gang activity and crack, and all the bad things that come with that. We are getting the fall out over here when people become displaced by the fact that affordable housing is being destroyed and not rebuilt.

I moved to the East Side 8 years ago. I did not have a lot of money, and I wanted to be near the beach--it's 12 miles away. I was lucky to get my place before 9/11. I moved from Atlanta.

It depends on where you are moving from, how safe you feel. Compared to Atlanta or LA or New York or Chicago, I think you would feel pretty safe usually. Houses are still fairly inexpensive, the neighborhood is coming up. It's on a high point and doesn't flood, an important point around here, where inefficient drainage can flood the streets thigh high after a flash flood! And you have a very old nice neighborhood, Gordonston, to move into, if you are feeling rich. My husband is a contractor and says that lots of improvement money is earmarked for this side of town. There are good communities being built on this side of town and new development.

There are gangs, and there is violence, but usually it is gang-on-gang violence. There are lots of burglaries--I have had my bike stolen out of a shed, with an inadequate lock. These people have been neighbors and family for a long time, and I haven't made tight friends, but everyone is usually friendly, even the crack dealers say hey. Like I said, it just depends on what your own danger levels are. Most people who can afford it use private schools for their kids, especially inner city. That was the same in Atlanta, I did too, even though I really couldn't afford it.

Final word of advice, be careful of Oaks. They are beautiful, but if possible don't buy a house under them. The city does not let you cut one for any reason. They are messy, and dangerous. Admire someone else's oaks! On the East Side you are near the Wilmington River and boat ramps, and Bonaventure Cemetery, and shopping and a nice movie theater, important in a town where there are very few of these and none that are central to downtown. You've got Target and Home Depot and a Walmart out on Highway 80, and and Staples and I hear they are building a mall down on president's street.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 10,049 times
Default Is the Area areound East Gwinette safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaq View Post

Goodness. Your question about whether the East and West Gwinette Street areas are safe is a bit of a bugger. It depends on many things. First I should say that metro Savannah occupies so little space that you can ride from one side to another on a bicycle in about 45 minutes going East to West. And that area is filled with many neighborhoods and many differences. West Savannah has merit in the fact that there are still some very old houses there that need much TLC and the neighborhood is 'Yuppie-fying' because of that. But there is a lot of poverty and violence on the West Side and most of the houses are very small.

The East Side used to be mill housing. Although there are a few streets that have bungalow sorts of houses, mostly the houses are small and utilitarian. Like West Side the population is mostly African American. It is a well established neighborhood and there is much pride here. Unfortunately, like West Side there is gang activity and crack, and all the bad things that come with that. We are getting the fall out over here when people become displaced by the fact that affordable housing is being destroyed and not rebuilt.

I moved to the East Side 8 years ago. I did not have a lot of money, and I wanted to be near the beach--it's 12 miles away. I was lucky to get my place before 9/11. I moved from Atlanta.

It depends on where you are moving from, how safe you feel. Compared to Atlanta or LA or New York or Chicago, I think you would feel pretty safe usually. Houses are still fairly inexpensive, the neighborhood is coming up. It's on a high point and doesn't flood, and important point around here, where inefficient drainage can flood the streets thigh high after a flash flood! And you have a very old nice neighborhood, Gordonston, to move into, if you are feeling rich. My husband is a contractor and says that lots of improvement money is earmarked for this side of town. There are gold communities being built on this side of town and new development.

There are gangs, and there is violence, but usually it is gang-on-gang violence. There are lots of burglaries--I have had my bike stolen out of a shed, with an inadequate lock. These people have been neighbors and family for a long time, and I haven't made tight friends, but everyone is usually friendly, even the crack dealers say hey. Like I said, it just depends on what your own danger levels are. Most people who can afford it use private schools for their kids, especially inner city. That was the same in Atlanta, I did too, even though I really couldn't afford it.

Final word of advice, be careful of Oaks. They are beautiful, but if possible don't buy a house under them. The city does not let you cut one for any reason. They are messy, and dangerous. Admire someone else's oaks!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellejardin View Post
but everyone is usually friendly, even the crack dealers say hey. Like I said, it just depends on what your own danger levels are.
I lived on the Eastside for a number of years and had similar experiences. It's just crazy how these gun toting fools can also be as sweet as can be when they're not defending their turf. I guess that's why their mommas cry when they get killed...

In reality, Gwinnet St. is pretty long if you take into consideration the fact that it runs from way east of Pennsylvania Ave. to several miles past I-16. The only parts I'd consider living on are the parts that run though the Historic District and the section that runs along the edge of Gordonston.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM

182 posts, read 711,104 times
Thats intrestingabout the oak trees. I did not know that. And thank you for the rest of the informaton too, I am still lurking and reading all about the city!

Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 AM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock43 View Post
Thats intrestingabout the oak trees. I did not know that. And thank you for the rest of the informaton too, I am still lurking and reading all about the city!
TV reception is horrid under the oaks
But I love mine and do not care about TV..........

Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
There are about three-four blocks just north of Gordenston are could be good. That would be about in the 1800 or so block of East Gwinette.

TV reception is OK under oak trees if you have cable. So many of these old trees are just that....OLD. And old things decay and rot. Limbs do fall from time to time, but for the most part, they are safe as long as they seem to be healthy. When they start loosing a lot of small limbs, it's time to get rid of the whole thing. $$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: