Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times

Advertisements

I seem to have a lot of houses in Rincon on my list to look at. I haven't been able to travel there yet. Is there anything particularly good or bad about Rincon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 PM

11,414 posts, read 24,522,343 times
Will you need to commute to Savannah for work, or are you retired? In the past decade or less, Rincon has become a major destination for people wanting to live outside the city and settle in Effingham Co.

As a result the highway leading to and from is often at maximum capacity and traffic backs up over a mile at certain stop lights.

There are also questions about where Rincon's water will be coming from in the future. It's really outgrown its proper planning, so there are problems with infrastructure that will not be resolved in the near future.

There is a new Publix going in, a new Food Lion, a Super Walmart, and I think Lowes. Not everyone out there is as "country" as they used to be, but it still has that reputation, I'm afraid.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:26 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,317,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Will you need to commute to Savannah for work, or are you retired? In the past decade or less, Rincon has become a major destination for people wanting to live outside the city and settle in Effingham Co.

As a result the highway leading to and from is often at maximum capacity and traffic backs up over a mile at certain stop lights.

There are also questions about where Rincon's water will be coming from in the future. It's really outgrown its proper planning, so there are problems with infrastructure that will not be resolved in the near future.

There is a new Publix going in, a new Food Lion, a Super Walmart, and I think Lowes. Not everyone out there is as "country" as they used to be, but it still has that reputation, I'm afraid.
That is interesting, ellie. We work from home, so commuting isn't an issue. If it comes to that, I'll make sure to explore the water issue. It's something that is never an issue here, so I would probably not even think to ask about it.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,300 times
An ex-Buckeye myself . . . Been in Rincon for over 20 years now.
Bought in south Effingham Co. - use to be country, now it's the "burbs".
Still seems to be a safe area to walk in at night. Crime is not too bad. Water's not an issue for us (we're on community water). If I were not commuting to work, I'd be more tempted to look up towards the North end of Effingham a bit. The traffic in the mornings is survivable if one times it right, otherwise "gentlearts" decription was accurate, it can back up a mile on US 21. Schools here are some of the best in the area.

All in all I'm comfortable here but would still like to be a bit more out in the country (North Effingham).

Cheers

Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM

726 posts, read 3,609,258 times
Poor planning. Too many subdivisions dumping traffic on to narrow roads. Every one heading to Savannah for work, shopping, hospitals, dining, a life. No solutions for years.
Methingham has traffic problems with no solutions for 25+ years.
Ga 21 is over capacity NOW and I recently learned of 5 construction projects are beginning in the GA 21, GA 30, I-95 area that will impact traffic from Effingham.
Highest taxes and impact fees in the area.
Schools are ok, but if your kids are bright Chatham offers much better opportunities and advanced options

Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 PM

236 posts, read 700,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Poor planning. Too many subdivisions dumping traffic on to narrow roads. Every one heading to Savannah for work, shopping, hospitals, dining, a life. No solutions for years.
Methingham has traffic problems with no solutions for 25+ years.
Ga 21 is over capacity NOW and I recently learned of 5 construction projects are beginning in the GA 21, GA 30, I-95 area that will impact traffic from Effingham.
Highest taxes and impact fees in the area.
Schools are ok, but if your kids are bright Chatham offers much better opportunities and advanced options
I would have to echo this post. Effingham has problems. If commuting isn't an issue I would recommend moving to Bulloch County (Statesboro). Cheaper taxes, equivalent schools and a beautiful setting.

Michael

Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM

726 posts, read 3,609,258 times
GEFA’s tab in Effingham — $45M
Quote:
The cities of Rincon, Guyton, Springfield and Effingham County collectively owe over $45 million to the Georgia Environmental Facilities Authority. And that is just the current numbers.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,526 times
Default Rincon, GA

Moved to Rincon, GA few years ago.... Nothing to do here! If your coming from the north be prepared for much grief from the locals. This will be a forgien Country to you. Lost Plantation is overated, Schools are strict, uniforms manditory. If you child does not say yes sir, no sir teach them before you enroll them... Nothing for the kids to do, except play sports. If you don't go to church you need to start going. Traffic is not bad - drive to savannah in 35 min everymorning. 20 years behind time. Very slow here. HOT HOT HOT Summers. Public housing behind walmart. Lots of Military family. Hope this sums it up.

Last edited by mcdonald_kl; 10-06-2008 at 06:26 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM

165 posts, read 508,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald_kl View Post
M HOT HOT HOT Summers.
Okay, mcdonald, in all fairness, Rincon is no hotter than the rest of the Savannah area.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,226,890 times
Well no, that's not exactly right. The eastern parts of Savannah do get a couple of degrees of relief because of the rivers and ocean. When there is an afternoon sea breeze, it's better. But in all honesty, when the temps get over 95, a couple of degrees more or less, just don't make much difference. Be sure that any house you look at has central Air conditioning. Those little window units don't always do a decent job.

Rincon could be any Small Town, USA. Except....it is HOT and HUMID. And it's for months and months. People think they know about humidity, but there is a great deal of difference between 80% and 100%, day after day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area