Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 19,044 times

Advertisements

is it true about Savannah, GA is crime? Sorry about ask you a question. I'm pretty worrying about it. My name is Sally. I'm 21 years old and student of college. I'll transfer to SCAD. When My bf and I will plan to move Savannah, GA from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'll attend to Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I'm not sure, We could move to SAFE place in anywhere. I wanted to move apt, only nearby SCAD. I'm not really-- I don't know if you guys know about SAFE place in anywhere: north, south, west, and east. whatever.

i heard my friend told me about Savannah is not safe and good. its only bad crime. and then my another friend says Savannah is beautiful place. Its not all crime a bit. I'm a bit worrying about our jobs and budgets... >.<

P.S. tell me about it. I'll be new in Savannah, GA next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:59 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Think about it this way, there are probably 10,000-15,000 people living in or near the historic district. Most SCAD students live in the historic district. Most people have few or no problems with bad crime.

Everyone should be careful because "it is a dangerous place." In fact, that's the old motto for those of us who lived in the district in the late 1980's. Sometimes I hear someone say it out of habit..."be careful, it's a dangerous place."

So yes it's dangerous. Most people have no problems. That's the bottom line.

If you can afford it, try to live in the areas framed between Price and Tattnall St. on the east/west and Bay and Gwinnett on the north/south. There are other safe areas, but it's too hard to explain online.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,840 times
Default RE: Savannah's crime

I have lived in Savannah for 13 years and it does have a high crime rate in certain areas. If you are attending SCAD, your best bet is to move into an apartment on the Westside of Savannah. Several friends of mine live at Walden at Chatham Center apartments and really like it. It is only 5 minutes from downtown and a lot of SCAD students live there. Seems quiet and nice when I visit.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy07 View Post
I have lived in Savannah for 13 years and it does have a high crime rate in certain areas. If you are attending SCAD, your best bet is to move into an apartment on the Westside of Savannah. Several friends of mine live at Walden at Chatham Center apartments and really like it. It is only 5 minutes from downtown and a lot of SCAD students live there. Seems quiet and nice when I visit.
My son and DIL live there, too. Safe, gated and pretty.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 19,044 times
thanks the informtion so much. i wonder if you guys know about deaf people live there too?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM

33 posts, read 137,961 times
Hi,
Hope you got moved to Savannah and SCAD okay. I am a former SCAD student, so if you still need info on the area just let me know. I don't know any hearing impaired people there, but do have a friend who is hearing impaired and works part-time as an interpreter. Hope you like Savannah! By the way, I lived in Thunderbolt and it is a nice area, just 10 mins from SCAD.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 16,563 times
Welcome to Savannah, Sally! I'm fairly new in town too, we moved here in late January 08. This forum is pretty great, there are so many natives(and transplants) on here who have lived and experienced just about everything in our city and have a lot of good advice to give. Of course, there are conflicting views, but this is America, and that's what makes it what it is....a jumble of different people and different ideas and opinions all mashed together! But pretty much everyone will agree on one thing in here(and all around Savannah), just like anywhere else, you have to be sensible and err on the side of caution. Stay out of the areas that are obviously questionable as much as you can(but in a city like Savannah where the borders aren't always clear, sometimes you have to pass through a not-good area to get to a good area!), and even in the "safer" areas, try to be aware of your surroundings and be cautious. I would give the same advice for any other city. Some of the other people on here could probably give you a better idea on specifics of the areas that are a good idea to avoid. I'm still a newbie around here so I'm not completely sure of all of them!
Good luck, I hope you and your boyfriend are happy here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area