Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Savannah from Boston in the next couple of months and I'm curious how it is for a young, single professional. I've always heard the South is very friendly and that it is beautiful in Savannah so that excites me. I read one post that states the dating scene is tough. I can't see it being any worse than Boston. People up here are very uptight. Are there a fair share of young professional's in the area or would I be wasting my time moving there? I'm guess I'm just looking for some feedback, whether positive or nagative, but prefer positive. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Are you planning to move in order to advance yourself in your chosen career or are you just looking for a friendlier dating scene?

A lot will depend on where you live, where you work, how you present yourself, and your basic personality. In other words, if you dress like a slob, have an irritating personality, and act like an idiot, you may have trouble finding someone to date.

That sounds a little harsh, but that's about how it is in most places. The person coming from out of town has to have a lot more going for them than the person that has been living there for a good while. The best and most reliable contacts are made through work associates, friends, neighbors and even the local churches.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Well my main reason for moving is not the dating scene. It's not hard meeting people here by any means. You just have to deal with a lot of attitude in New England. I would be moving there with my current salary here. I've heard many great things about Savannah but reading these posts scare me. Most of it is negativity about high crime and not being good for young, single professionals. I was hoping there were young professional organizations or just a good change for someone from the North.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM

182 posts, read 711,104 times
I grew up in the boston area and I love savannah. But I love the south in general. Some of my boston friends got a good taste of the south and returned to Boston. Boston seems to have a unique pull that you are not aware of until you are gone. But dont fret- Savannahs great. Rent there and see how you like it. You will be welcome back in boston if you ever want to return.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM

9 posts, read 66,974 times
I just moved back to MI from Savannah for family reasons. I moved there not knowing anybody and If your into church thats a great way to meet people. Try Late church its a branch of savannah community church I think. I went and there were all kinds of people my age 20"s somerhing and 30's. I met two people there the first night. They also have small group and interest groups so you will always have something to do. This is a great way to network and maybe you will meet that special person. Oh It may be Savannah Christian church its been a little while. But it's call Late church and they have a page on line .

Last edited by sadielibby; 09-21-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 06:35 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I think the dating scene is probably difficult anywhere. It isn't easy here, that's for sure. So you pretty much have to take that into account if you decide to make the move.

That being said, it seems that there are still plenty of people to go out with. Especially if you're willing to get involved in your community.

Dating in general is just tough. People have too many agendas or none at all. A few generations ago, people married young and went on from there. Now there are so many options and so many life style variations.

I don't think it's Savannah specifically. It's just our culture now.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
the creative coast

Smart Women

GreenDrinks Savannah (http://www.greendrinkssavannah.moonfruit.com/ - broken link)

Skirt!®

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 09-23-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I can't really speak for the single scene, but my son and DIL (25+23) are new to Savannah and have easily found friends their age. They enjoy the Savannah night life along the riverfront and downtown, and the abundance of places to go and mix with people their age.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM

40 posts, read 168,283 times
Just wanted to offer my perspective as a fellow transplant from the north (NJ originally). One of the biggest culture shocks I had coming into Savannah was the difference in age many people in the south were getting married and having kids. I'm not sure if this is necessarilly a north/south thing - probably more of a population density thing. However, I know far too many people in Savannah that are under 21, married and have 3 or 4 kids. I moved down here with my husband, so I've never hit the dating scene here myself, but I had a good friend who was single. He ended up moving away - in large part due to the dating scene.

A quick look at the city-data summary pages shows that 40% of the population is married compared to 33% of Bostonians. Couple that with a population of about 1/10th the size, and a large military presence with lots of young single males.....well you get the picture.

I don't want to scare you away, but it's something to think about. If you're not having luck in a city as big and diverse as Boston, I'm not sure you'll have much more luck in a small southern city. Then again.....fate may surprise you!

Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 PM

64 posts, read 343,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I may be moving to Savannah from Boston in the next couple of months and I'm curious how it is for a young, single professional.
Starting when I was in my late 20's, I was the only single woman my age in almost every office I worked in. I found that people in the area got married at a very young age so if you are over 30 and single you will definitely be in the minority. It was frustrating because I felt like I had nothing in common with women my own age.

I also found that there weren't many professional men in the area. If you're not willing to date someone in the military or a blue collar worker then your choices will be limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area