Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM

73 posts, read 306,550 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are doing research and looking for a place to re-locate to (Currently in Philly). Just curious what industry or industries are prevalent in Savannah. In other words, 'what type of jobs are down there?'

My wife is a tecky that's in publishing and I have done non-profit work for the last 15+ years but am looking to make a career change- although I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Well, from the top of my head I can definitely say Savannah is mainly blue collar. We've got a paper mill, the Georgia Ports, Imperial Sugar, Gulfstream Aerospace, JCB; a lot of distribution, manufacturing and the like. Of course we also have government, hospitality and a few others.
I know others on here can answer this much better. Where are Padgett and Ellie?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 AM

970 posts, read 2,952,452 times
Savannah is doninated by the Ports, distribution & hospitality jobs. In other words, low paying jobs. That's just the way it's been.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Some of those union Ports jobs pay a lot of money, but you almost have to be born into to it to get one of them. Truck driving isn't half bad, from what I hear. The paper mills and sugar refinery also supported a surprising number of old Savannah bluebloods, though many didn't talk about it openly.

Until recently, waiting tables and bartending on River Street was also lucrative. Some of the guides on the tour buses (used to make) a decent living. And then there's the people who made a fortune on real estate...

As for publishing, I know a lot of people who have been laid off. Non-profits are barely hanging in there with cutbacks and layoffs. There's still work, but good jobs are hard to find.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 AM

214 posts, read 900,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Some of those union Ports jobs pay a lot of money, but you almost have to be born into to it to get one of them. Truck driving isn't half bad, from what I hear. The paper mills and sugar refinery also supported a surprising number of old Savannah bluebloods, though many didn't talk about it openly.

Until recently, waiting tables and bartending on River Street was also lucrative. Some of the guides on the tour buses (used to make) a decent living. And then there's the people who made a fortune on real estate...

As for publishing, I know a lot of people who have been laid off. Non-profits are barely hanging in there with cutbacks and layoffs. There's still work, but good jobs are hard to find.

The story of ever city in the country and really around the world. Savannah is actually fairing better than other places.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
What I was trying to say was that blue collar and hospitality jobs used to pay pretty well. Nothing to look down your nose at.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 AM

236 posts, read 699,043 times
There are also a lot of education related positions, government jobs associated with Hunter AAF and medical positions at either of the 2 hospitals.

Happy hunting,

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: