Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,593 times

Advertisements

I did some homework on hurricanecity.com on Savannah, but have read a post that stated Savannah didn't get hurricane activity really. What is the true story?
Is Savannah just so likely as Charleston, South Carolina, to be hit by a big hurricane? I remember 1989 when Charleston was just devastated..sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
No, we sit around and lie to people in our free time. Savannah has a fair chance of being hit by hurricanes. It just hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM

737 posts, read 2,459,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
No, we sit around and lie to people in our free time.
Yup.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
The last bad one was in 1893. Water covered Tybee Island. Of course, we could have another one like that any time. The usual ones are Category 1 and 2. It's been about 20 years since the last one. 1989, I think.

Hurricanes start at Category 1. Those winds are 75 miles per hour. Not nearly the strength of the wind in a blizzard and a lot warmer.

Flooding. only from heavy rains in low lying areas at the time of the high tide when the canals can't drain the rain water fast enough. Buy a house close to a swampy area and chances are that at some point, you will get water in the house. We don't have rivers that flood around Savannah. Farther south, around the fresh water rivers, there is flooding.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Good...because the area looks great to me. I've done the flooding thing that ruined cars and homes in Texas, and don't want to revisit that memory again.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Go and look at the Gulf stream along the coast. Savannah sits in the center of a slight bend. The gulf stream goes straight bye. The gulf stream heads straight into Charleston. Wonder why they get hit all the time.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Yes, this is what I read before: that that little inland bump where Savannah sits saves it from getting the worst on hurricanes. Sure hope it stays that way as I'm looking at living on the South Carolina side--but so close to Savannah as I can get. Looks like beautiful country just up and down the whole coast there.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,458 times
Certain areas of Savannah and area are flood prone
there are canals that drain the central parts of the county
but heavy rain at high tide can be a problem
recently several pumping stations have been built and canals widened

'Buy Dry' campaign urges consumers to be wary of homes built in wetlands | SavannahNow.com
'Buy Dry' campaign urges consumers to be wary of homes built in wetlands

Check with the Chatham County Department of Engineering at (652-7800) to find out what flood zone you are in and what the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) is for your neighborhood. You can also use the forms to obtain a Flood Zone Determination letter.
Do your homework, never trust, It is buyer beware.
The vast majority of homes have no flood problems
Even some subdivisions in the neighboring counties have been built on low flood prone wetlands

Georgia Flood Mapping Program (http://www.georgiadfirm.com/status/chatham/prelim.htm - broken link)

Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information

Flooding | Chatham Emergency Management Agency

Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 38,145 times
hello i live in savannah umm we havent had huricanes in a long long time ago but we had tonadoes in the 80s we had big snow in savannah in 1989 but savannah had its first snow on febuary i am vey happy but the tonado dont hit savannah very much so i wacth the weathe channel in the 80s i head a warning that a tonado is coming some was f1 well some was very strong so and yes i was save i didnt got kill it past over no one was hut by the tonado so savannah just have tonadoes in the 80s and snow begin to come to savannah on 1989 on december i was so happy i made a snowman woohoo and in savannah its sunny in here in savannah.now coll wheather is now coming back to savannah oh yeah let me tell you something about the tonado in the 80s it was dark my friends say get in the house i say what about you they say they are coming to my house and then the tonaode stat tohit savannah so we went in the closet and then i didnt hee anything the tonado was cancel i am glad it wasthen the clouds put the sun in to shineon and then i was brave tonadoes havent hit savannah a long long time ago just sever thunderstormsthats all and i do have a pet name ruffy bye and i hope yo live in savannah

Last edited by lisatookpictuesofatonado; 02-18-2010 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: because i made a mistake

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 38,145 times
sonow a tonado is off united states to go somewhere far from savannah go to google and click seach then put where is the tornado now and it will give you answer well savannah didnt had tonado in the 1989,1789,1689 just snow in savannah in the 1989 bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: