Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 29,598 times

Advertisements

Can anyone in Savannah give me any information regarding Republic Regional Industrial landfill on Clifton Boulevard. Is there any types of problems with them like noise, odor, or pollution? I live in Bartow Fl. and Republic is trying to put a landfill within 1000 feet of my front door and they tell us they can be a good neighbor. They tell us that it will be like the landfill in Savannah, Ga. and we won't have any problems. Please let me know of any information good or bad. We just don't know if we can believe them. Thanks you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I just looked at its location on a map. It's in Port Wentworth between the sugar refinery, the state ports, and the paper mill. There is/was a little residential area near there too. My guess is that the nearby residents are accustomed to industrial traffic and depend on that sort of business for their livelihoods. Maybe bgnz (a regular poster) will know more.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
If you are in an area that already has heavy truck traffic, you may not even notice the additional trucking. However, if your neighborhood is now quiet, the type trucks that are used will change that quickly. The noise would be my biggest concern. Are they planning on building a sound buffer or planting trees? This would help.

Also, will this landfill include garbage? If so, you will probably also see an increase in scavenger birds.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If you are in an area that already has heavy truck traffic, you may not even notice the additional trucking. However, if your neighborhood is now quiet, the type trucks that are used will change that quickly. The noise would be my biggest concern. Are they planning on building a sound buffer or planting trees? This would help.

Also, will this landfill include garbage? If so, you will probably also see an increase in scavenger birds.
It will probably just be construction waste if it's like the one here. They're pretty strict about new landfills. It's the old ones that are scary.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdc96 View Post
Can anyone in Savannah give me any information regarding Republic Regional Industrial landfill on Clifton Boulevard. Is there any types of problems with them like noise, odor, or pollution? I live in Bartow Fl. and Republic is trying to put a landfill within 1000 feet of my front door and they tell us they can be a good neighbor. They tell us that it will be like the landfill in Savannah, Ga. and we won't have any problems. Please let me know of any information good or bad. We just don't know if we can believe them. Thanks you for your help.
I drove by there today.
No trash
from GA 21 there are tall trees that hide it completely
no smell
from Gulfstream Road looks like flat-topped grassy pyramids, as if there should be a temple to some ancient god placed on the top.

There was a big thing a few years back about it but I don't remember.
The area is heavy industrial. at the end of the airport runway.
The residential around there will become warehouses one day, just the old downtown built next to the paper mill, sugar refinery, and port. Now it is surrounded by industry. The town is now growing west of I-95

Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 29,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
I drove by there today.
No trash
from GA 21 there are tall trees that hide it completely
no smell
from Gulfstream Road looks like flat-topped grassy pyramids, as if there should be a temple to some ancient god placed on the top.

There was a big thing a few years back about it but I don't remember.
The area is heavy industrial. at the end of the airport runway.
The residential around there will become warehouses one day, just the old downtown built next to the paper mill, sugar refinery, and port. Now it is surrounded by industry. The town is now growing west of I-95
I want to thank you for the time you took to drive out to that area and also to everyone else that has posted answers to my question. Do you know if the market value of the homes were effected when the Landfill opened and how close the nearest home is?

Maybe they are telling us the truth when they tell us they want to be good neighbors and that we should not have any problems with smell. If anyone else has any other information I would appreciate you posting it. They did tell us there would be no garbage which is a good thing, of course when someone tells you they are putting in a Class 1 landfill within 1000 feet of your front door you do have a tendency to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area