Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM

68 posts, read 171,603 times

Advertisements

East of Pennsylvania on all the streets that are named after states? It seems like their are a lot of places for rent there. I went down there tonight, looked kinda shady... lots of people in the street, just not too sure how safe it is. Seems there has been a few or more robbery's this past month on the Savannah Police site listed.

My husband and I are looking for a place (2 bedroom) that has a fenced backyard (for our German Shepherd) and I don't know where to look. I don't drive so I need somewhere that is easily accessible by transit. I'm freaking out cuz our roommates are bailing on us and we need to find a place of our own now.

Last edited by Neophyte282; 08-18-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
That section where all the streets are named after States, is called Avondale. It's not one of the better areas. Not the worst, we lived there when we were first married on Mississippi Ave. It has gone downhill since then. There are some sections, around the Methodist church that are still fairly nice. Also, Georgia Ave. close to Bonaventure Road.

However, the Savannah area is quite spread out and not every area is well served by the local bus system (CAT) I think you would be able to find other areas that would suit you as well as Avondale.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
That section where all the streets are named after States, is called Avondale. It's not one of the better areas. Not the worst, we lived there when we were first married on Mississippi Ave. It has gone downhill since then. There are some sections, around the Methodist church that are still fairly nice. Also, Georgia Ave. close to Bonaventure Road.

However, the Savannah area is quite spread out and not every area is well served by the local bus system (CAT) I think you would be able to find other areas that would suit you as well as Avondale.
Thanks for your reply!

I really don't know where to look. It's the worst because I can't drive. I'm going to be here for a year by myself while my husband is deployed so I need somewhere safe and reasonably priced (around the $700 range) but I just don't see that happening here and I'm going crazy.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM

I looked in the classified section of today's Savannah Morning News. Look under the heading of "Houses, unfurnished" Sunday's paper would have the most.

There are a couple of places that would meet your requirements. Your main problem is going to be to find someone that will rent to anyone with a large dog.

Savannah is a difficult place to get around in if you don't drive or ride a bicycle. Good luck on your search. Take another look at Avondale. That big dog might give you all the protection that you need.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I looked in the classified section of today's Savannah Morning News. Look under the heading of "Houses, unfurnished" Sunday's paper would have the most.

There are a couple of places that would meet your requirements. Your main problem is going to be to find someone that will rent to anyone with a large dog.

Savannah is a difficult place to get around in if you don't drive or ride a bicycle. Good luck on your search. Take another look at Avondale. That big dog might give you all the protection that you need.
Thanks. We found some places just outside the base, so that might work. Avondale is really a no for me. After we saw the random pitbull wandering around and the "child deaf area" graffiti'd "dead child area" there was no way I was living there.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM

47 posts, read 237,303 times
Good call. The state streets of Avondale are the pits.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM

How about midtown just north of east victory between abercorn and waters (east 39th street)?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Pretty sketchy street, though I know people who live in that area. Personally, I wouldn't if there were other choices.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Ok, thanks.

Now we are looking at East of Abercorn and South of Montgomery Xrd, near base. Ah, this house hunting is crazy.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 PM

That sounds much better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: