Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
And do you believe there are multi-verses as well? Are there thousands of you living in different timelines at this very moment?

Which came first the chicken or the egg, and if God created man, who created God? What if God said let it be, and it was? The universe is expanding further and further and I've yet to find where he said "let it stop". So, IMHO, the universe was spoken into existence without a stop clause.

With as much as $4B invested (far more in all probability), in CERN's search for such things, I fully expect that science will discover whatever it needs to justify the costs. Can you say Global Warming? Money always dictates that results be found regardless of the actual truth. Science not only discovers truths but creates them as well. Kind of ironic.
Your ignorance on the subject is astonishing. Why would you even put down CERN, an organization without which this website wouldn't even exist... World Wide Web was created as a CERN project. I am just skipping all your other babble because it is obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. Your level of knowledge regarding Big Bang theory/physics in general is that of an 8 year old child. I think you should study from the ground up and read some books on logic, history of science, scientific knowledge, scientific method, nature of science, limits of knowledge, empiricism, epistemology, etc. This is simply because in your posts you are confusing different "kinds" of knowledge to begin with, never mind the factual information/misinformation about the Big Bang theory, Higgs boson, CERN, the origin of the universe, etc.

Just to illustrate your ignorance on the subject - top physicists actually think that NOT finding the Higgs boson would be a bigger accomplishment/discovery than finding it within the energy range that is possible with the LHC. The current energies possible with LHC fall within most (80-90%) of the possible probability space of the mass of the Higgs boson predicted by the current theories.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-06-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
But the entire premise of The Big Bang Theory is NOT that "something came from nothing" as you stated. It's just that physicists and cosmologists have yet to figure out what preceded it. They already know, of course, that it had to come from something, since one of the basic premises of Thermodynamics is that energy cannot be either created or destroyed.
Last I heard, physicists has come pretty darn close to reckoning the beginning, though, accounting for the physics that took place at 10 to the minus 43 seconds after the Bang.
That number looks like this: .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.

We'll get there.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A very interesting article but I have to take exception to the method used to prove the science. The entire premise of the Big Bang theory is that something came from nothing, "This fundamental particle, thought to give mass to all particles", yet there was nothing to collide when the Big Bang supposedly occurred. This leads me to think the whole premise of finding the God particle (and if found), will be based on bad science.

Optimism Grows on Finding the 'God Particle' in 2011 | Particle Physics & Higgs Boson, Large Hadron Collider, Accelerators | LiveScience

"My favourite definition of an intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence." - Clarke
You have just made a strawman.

The Big Bang does not attempt to explain what came before it because all it says is that all evidence of anything (or nothing) before it was lost in the very nature of the expansion event itself.

Nowhere does it say there was nothing before it or that nothing caused just that it is fundamentally impossible to know.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Your ignorance on the subject is astonishing. Why would you even put down CERN, an organization without which this website wouldn't even exist... World Wide Web was created as a CERN project. I am just skipping all your other babble because it is obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. Your level of knowledge regarding Big Bang theory/physics in general is that of an 8 year old child. I think you should study from the ground up and read some books on logic, history of science, scientific knowledge, scientific method, nature of science, limits of knowledge, empiricism, epistemology, etc. This is simply because in your posts you are confusing different "kinds" of knowledge to begin with, never mind the factual information/misinformation about the Big Bang theory, Higgs boson, CERN, the origin of the universe, etc.

Just to illustrate your ignorance on the subject - top physicists actually think that NOT finding the Higgs boson would be a bigger accomplishment/discovery than finding it within the energy range that is possible with the LHC. The current energies possible with LHC fall within most (80-90%) of the possible probability space of the mass of the Higgs boson predicted by the current theories.
In that long of a paragraph, just think of all the wondrous information you could have shared with us lesser mortals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology