Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,712 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this is copying mathew compher, and he is using the same ridiculous page that you are using.. His hypothesis is that / and ÷ are not the same..
That in one point in time, maybe the 2 symbols had different meaning..
That 48/2(9+3) is not actually the same as 48÷2(9+3). This is not the view of the algebra as we see it... or in any math.

Last edited by infiri; 05-22-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
That equation is just an algebraic way of saying: 24X12.

The answer is 288.

Even I know that, and I'm a lowly drummer.

Old musician's joke: "what do ya call a drummer with half a brain?
Gifted.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do the overwhelming majority of people, and we're talking technical people here, think it is 2 and not 288? Why does your mind want to see it wrong as you wrote above? It isn't easier to see 2 so it isn't a response driven by laziness. Why does everyone say 2? Smart, educated, technical people. The only people who say 288 are people like school teachers who are teaching the PEMDAS and absolutely have to be familiar with the rules and order of operations and the elementary mathematics (my 6th grader said 288 but my vanpool buddy, U of Michigan PhD Math, said 2).

I know 288 is correct - but we're approaching 100 posts here on something that 6th graders know. What the heck is going on here?

Why?
IMHO>>>>>>

After you are finished with formal schooling......I'd say that Algebraic rules are quickly forgotten.

I remember taking Calculus....which was relatively easy to understand versus remembering Algebraic operations sequencing etc.....

Some professors let the Algebra mistakes "slide" since most of "us students" made no errors in Calculus but with the subsequent Algebraic equations.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,382 times
What I find most interesting in this thread is not that some people said "2" while others said "288", but that even after the rules of algebraic order of operation were trotted out and explained, some people continued to insist the answer was 2. There's really not much room for interpretation here folks; this is MATH, after all.

Perhaps it is time for a new, less controversial problem:

(1 + 1) = ?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
This is basic math and the answer is 288.

However, the use of symbols could produce some confusion as many of us that use math to earn a paycheck for decades are used to using excel, sas or any other variety of programming languages which have their own style of doing things.

Heck, my keyboard doesn't even have the olde fashioned dividey symbol.

I think the problem is like asking two people to look up the load capacity of a lift and one guy goes to look up forklifts and the brit goes to look at the elevator.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
2/1(1+1) is NOT 1 in algebra...
2/1(2)
2(2)= 4
WHY you continue to ignore the rule of left to right... is a simple rule....
If you want it to be 1,,,
2/(1(1+1)), this is 1
Because /(1(1+1) means that everything is a denominator, but /1(1+1), means that only 1 is the denominator and then there is a *
You keep forgetting that ( means multiplication, so 2(2) means 2*2
so the equation is 2/1*(1+1), now if you see this why, do you still think that everything is a denominator?? is just because we add * changes things?
Simplifying Complex Fractions

That's how I was taught.
You can turn anything with a "÷" to a fraction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_(mathematics)
"Any of these forms can be used to display a fraction. A fraction is a division expression where both dividend and divisor are integers (although typically called the numerator and denominator), and there is no implication that the division needs to be evaluated further. A second way to show division is to use the obelus (or division sign), common in arithmetic, in this manner:"

Find where it says that and it shows how fraction and division sign are interchangable

Old 05-23-2011, 04:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post

That's how I was taught.

"Any of these forms can be used to display a fraction. A fraction is a division expression where both dividend and divisor are integers (although typically called the numerator and denominator), and there is no implication that the division needs to be evaluated further. A second way to show division is to use the obelus (or division sign), common in arithmetic, in this manner:"

Find where it says that and it shows how fraction and division sign are interchangable
They are just showing 4 ways to write it.

= = a⁄b =

Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
saw this somewhere else. What is the answer? (there was no math forum so i placed it here.)
48÷2(9+3) = ???? 48/2(12)=24(12)=288

Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post

That's how I was taught.

You are missing the point here, your problem is that you think that everything on the left of ÷ means that is a denominator, and that is not true...
beside, the subject is dead, you cant teach an old dog new trickts I guess.
Where in your link say that everything on the left and everything on the right of the symbe means it is a numerator and denominator.
Again
2 *3*4 ÷ 4*5*6 doesnt mean that everything is part of the division. only 4 ÷ 4 is part, everything else is not.

And yes you can turn ÷ into a fraction, 48÷2 can be turn to a fraction and in this case it would be 24, so not a fraction...
the problem is that (9+3) is not part of the division...
is like having 2 equation, you a division and a that division multiplied by a (9+3). the only way the result can be 2 is by adding another parenthesis.
48÷(2(9+3), in this case everything on the right of ÷ is part of the division...
Let me ask you this...
how much is this 1/2+3=??? if you say .2 then you are lost.. and nothing will change your mind...
if you say 3.5 then put the same principle to the original equation.

Last edited by infiri; 05-23-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM

alacran, I hope this will end the subject...
Order of Operations

look at the examples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology