Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM

127 posts, read 200,509 times

Advertisements

Otherwise, why do you think that only such a small percentage of the population wants to grow up to become scientists?

Looking for a good discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
Otherwise, why do you think that only such a small percentage of the population wants to grow up to become scientists?

Based on my college experience, lots of people like science and are interested in it...until they realize how hard and competitive the coursework is.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
The way Science teaching has gone over the last 20 years with mandated curricula leading to exit exams has been a factor in lessened interest.

School systems cutting back on lab materials where lab experiments have been replaced by lectures about the lab experiments they didn't do, is another factor.

A lessened interest in Math also. My school used to have 2 full sections of Calculus AB. It now has one section and we struggle to get 10 kids for it. The school population is larger now.

Even kids who are good in Science say it's "too hard". I had one kid this year who wanted to major in Chemical Engineering but never took a high school Chem class. Too hard. There are kids who say they want Pre-Med but skip both Chem and AP Bio. Too hard.

We aren't allowed to tell them they're being unrealistic.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
I do wish more people would take an interest in science, even if they don't want to be scientists. I didn't want to be a scientist. I am very interested in it, though. Sometimes I'll reply to an article and actually get feedback. Sometimes it is something they didn't think of.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Based on my college experience, lots of people like science and are interested in it...until they realize how hard and competitive the coursework is.
Bingo!

Over 1/2 the people that were in my early classes that were going after a CS degree (not the lite version, but the math/science option) changed their majors to something much easier after they found out what it entailed.

My math classes were funny. First semester Calc was brimming full with people, second semester was 1/2 that size and by 3rd semester, it was a class of around 5-6 people.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I do wish more people would take an interest in science, even if they don't want to be scientists. I didn't want to be a scientist. I am very interested in it, though. Sometimes I'll reply to an article and actually get feedback. Sometimes it is something they didn't think of.
It would be nice, that is for sure.

Personally, I think 2 semesters of Calc and 2 semesters of Calc Physics should be mandatory general ed.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,066 times
Because pre-college education doesn't prepare most students adequately for the tough coursework involved in math and science.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Because pre-college education doesn't prepare most students adequately for the tough coursework involved in math and science.

It used to. That was the entire point of "college prep" courses in high school. For math, it was pre-calculus, physics it was a conceptual course (algebra based physics), and other topics of similar nature.

Problem is, it seems they spend most of their time these days working on just getting them to be able to read and write at a basic level.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post

Because most of the summer workers in my building start out by collecting water samples in the blistering heat with mosquitos buzzing at their head for crap pay. The ones who actually stay wind up pipetting all day, a tedious job for many years before they get a chance to move up.

Im sure when most people think of becoming a scientists they think about Dr. Jeykyll and mixing crazy concoctions together but its quite the opposite for most people unless you wind up getting a PHD.

The lady who does the hiring for summer workers likes to hire children of parents that work at our lab. She says its a good way to find out that they dont want to do this for the rest of their lives.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Yes, it does. I went to the same high school as a bunch of people who tried science and engineering coursework in college and decided it wasn't worth the hard work.

We all had the same prep. It's who wants it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology