Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You seem to have a thing about using certain kinds of terms. Why don't you just use terms that everyone can clearly understand?
Please briefly define:

- Life 2.0

- Biotech revaluation
Between now and 2045 there will be 3 paradigm shifts.

The first will be in 2019-2020. This is due to advances in biology and genetics. A good example is 3D printers as they will be able to print any organ. We will see things like the ability to turn off the fat gene and reverse aging. That is why I have seen it called the biotech revaluation and life 2.0.

The second paradigm shift will come in 2029-2030. This is all about nano technology. By 2030 we will have to merge with computers to keep up and it will enhance our intelligence and immune system among other things. That is why I have seen it called the nano tech revaluation or life 3.0. Now I have read that around 2025 we could really start to see humans merge with computers and given the problem of technological unemployment I think that will be good. However while I think it will be possible and many will do it, including myself, it might not be widespread and normal till after 2030.

Finally the singularity is life 4.0 and that will happen by 2045.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Between now and 2045 there will be 3 paradigm shifts.

The first will be in 2019-2020. This is due to advances in biology and genetics. A good example is 3D printers as they will be able to print any organ. We will see things like the ability to turn off the fat gene and reverse aging. That is why I have seen it called the biotech revaluation and life 2.0.

The second paradigm shift will come in 2029-2030. This is all about nano technology. By 2030 we will have to merge with computers to keep up and it will enhance our intelligence and immune system among other things. That is why I have seen it called the nano tech revaluation or life 3.0. Now I have read that around 2025 we could really start to see humans merge with computers and given the problem of technological unemployment I think that will be good. However while I think it will be possible and many will do it, including myself, it might not be widespread and normal till after 2030.

Finally the singularity is life 4.0 and that will happen by 2045.
Okay, so you're saying the definition of Life 2.0 is the first paradigm which means 3-D printers that print organs, turning off the fat gene and reverse aging. I can see that as having to do with biotech, but I think using a term like "Life 2.0" is pretty meaningless to most people. Don't you think it would make a lot more sense to be more descriptive instead of just tagging on a label?

So then when the second paradigm shift occurs in 2029-2030 (according to you), is about nanotechnology and merging with computers, which is suppose to be Life 3.0?

You have not yet defined the term "revaluation". What does "revaluation" mean?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Both of us have posted our vision of the future.

I will go a step further and say by 2019-2020 we will begin life 2.0 and the biotech revaluation. If we are still posting on City Data come then we will be able to see how that prediction held up.
Yes. The ultimate arbiter of claims made about the future is....the future itself!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Okay, so you're saying the definition of Life 2.0 is the first paradigm which means 3-D printers that print organs, turning off the fat gene and reverse aging. I can see that as having to do with biotech, but I think using a term like "Life 2.0" is pretty meaningless to most people. Don't you think it would make a lot more sense to be more descriptive instead of just tagging on a label?

So then when the second paradigm shift occurs in 2029-2030 (according to you), is about nanotechnology and merging with computers, which is suppose to be Life 3.0?

You have not yet defined the term "revaluation". What does "revaluation" mean?
I actually got the terms from a paper I read. I have posted it but here it is.

Two major paradigm shifts will take place before the Singularity, a first one around 2019-2020, and the other around 2029-2030.

Life will change so much at each of these stages that I like to refer to them as the transformations toward Human Life 2.0 and Human Life 3.0, respectively. The Singularity, which could happen any time during the 2040′s, will mark the shift to Human Life 4.0. This timeline stops at 2030 as it is too difficult to predict the rate of change after that.

The link: h+ Magazine | Your life is going to change faster than ever before - h+ Magazine

I have read the term revaluation used as well. Its not meant as a war like the revaluation war but that things will change so fundamentally that it will be a revaluation.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes. The ultimate arbiter of claims made about the future is....the future itself!
Its just nice to know what is coming as to not be blindsided. What I mean is I would always be surprised by new technologies. The last one was the smart phone and I did not want that to ever happen again. When Google glass came out for the first time I could say I saw it coming years ago and in fact did and was talking about it. Same will happen with contacts with computers in them and finally blood cell sized computers and us merging with them. When it happens people will claim it came from no where but I will say I saw this coming before 2010.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
I actually got the terms from a paper I read. I have posted it but here it is.

Two major paradigm shifts will take place before the Singularity, a first one around 2019-2020, and the other around 2029-2030.

Life will change so much at each of these stages that I like to refer to them as the transformations toward Human Life 2.0 and Human Life 3.0, respectively. The Singularity, which could happen any time during the 2040′s, will mark the shift to Human Life 4.0. This timeline stops at 2030 as it is too difficult to predict the rate of change after that.

The link: h+ Magazine | Your life is going to change faster than ever before - h+ Magazine

I have read the term revaluation used as well. Its not meant as a war like the revaluation war but that things will change so fundamentally that it will be a revaluation.
Revaluation war? What's that?

I did a quick search of the terms "Life 2.0" and "revaluation". They don't seem to match your definition or the paper you read.

Life 2.0
Life 2.0, Second Life Documentary, Takes You Behind The Screen (VIDEO)
Life 2.0

Revaluation
Revaluation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Revaluation Definition | Investopedia
Revaluation nears end | courier.mainelymediallc.com | Biddeford Courier

Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Revaluation war? What's that?

I did a quick search of the terms "Life 2.0" and "revaluation". They don't seem to match your definition or the paper you read.

Life 2.0
Life 2.0, Second Life Documentary, Takes You Behind The Screen (VIDEO)
Life 2.0

Revaluation
Revaluation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Revaluation Definition | Investopedia
Revaluation nears end | courier.mainelymediallc.com | Biddeford Courier
It has nothing do do with what you posted.

I have been spelling it wrong. I mean revolution.

A revolution is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time.

So when I say life 2.0 it will be a fundamental change in life due to biotech (biology and genetics)

Life 3.0 will be a fundamental change in life due to nano technology.

P.S. Once I merge with the technology my spelling should finally improve!

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-14-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Its just nice to know what is coming as to not be blindsided. What I mean is I would always be surprised by new technologies. The last one was the smart phone and I did not want that to ever happen again. When Google glass came out for the first time I could say I saw it coming years ago and in fact did and was talking about it. Same will happen with contacts with computers in them and finally blood cell sized computers and us merging with them. When it happens people will claim it came from no where but I will say I saw this coming before 2010.
Of course, this goes both ways - it's nice to know what's not coming to avoid being disappointed. I'd be horribly mad if I waited all these years for something and it didn't materialize - for instance, Ray Kurzweil's failed prediction of self-driving cars by early 2000s from The Age of Intelligent Machines (which was predicted to happen at least ~10 years sooner than the actual materialization of the technology - a decade is not a trivial discrepancy here) or real-time translating telephones allowing communication between languages in the early 2000s.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Of course, this goes both ways - it's nice to know what's not coming to avoid being disappointed. I'd be horribly mad if I waited all these years for something and it didn't materialize - for instance, Ray Kurzweil's failed prediction of self-driving cars by early 2000s from The Age of Intelligent Machines (which was predicted to happen at least ~10 years sooner than the actual materialization of the technology - a decade is not a trivial discrepancy here) or real-time translating telephones allowing communication between languages in the early 2000s.
He has been right about 86% of the time.

Why Ray Kurzweil's Predictions Are Right 86% of the Time.

The link: Why Ray Kurzweil's Predictions Are Right 86% of the Time | Big Think | Endless Innovation

What I have noticed is when he is wrong its because he got sidetracked of just looking at information technology. That is why when I look in the future I mainly look at the big picture. Computers advancing exponentially thus bringing in the biotech revolution and nanotech revolution and finally the singularity. Things like virtual reality and artificial intelligence as well as they are a direct result of information technology advancing exponentially and quite easy to predict.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
He has been right about 86% of the time.

Why Ray Kurzweil's Predictions Are Right 86% of the Time.

The link: Why Ray Kurzweil's Predictions Are Right 86% of the Time | Big Think | Endless Innovation

What I have noticed is when he is wrong its because he got sidetracked of just looking at information technology. That is why when I look in the future I mainly look at the big picture. Computers advancing exponentially thus bringing in the biotech revolution and nanotech revolution and finally the singularity. Things like virtual reality and artificial intelligence as well as they are a direct result of information technology advancing exponentially and quite easy to predict.
You mean retrodict. You're only imposing your criteria on Kurzweil's predictions with the benefit of hindsight.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology